Help with archery form

Ive played with 28.5-29.75” draw lengths. 29.5” seems best from a feel stand point.

Keeping my head straight and only turning my head slightly right to get peep acquisition, I’m not able to get my nose to touch the string without tilting my neck down. I have 33” ATA bow and just dont think ill ever get the string to where my nose touches it (unless you fine people on here see something with my form).

Anything crazy stand out? Appreciate feedback; thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
1. your nocking point is pretty low on your face resulting in the string further down. You could take out your peep and play around with your knocking point and nose touching until you are happy then put the peep where it needs to go

2. your bow shoulder looks like it is up and not rolled back, I could be wrong.

Rob5589

WKR
Your bow shoulder looks like it needs to come down; bow arm elbow rotated so that it points to about 8 o'clock; you appear to be leaning forward some or your rear hip is bumped back. Hard to tell with the way the shirt hangs and no pic below your waist.

Brendan

WKR
Agree with what everyone's saying above - front arm / shoulder should be a "relaxed straight" not in any way hyperextended or under a ton of tension. I personally am going to do that, and then lengthen the DL until the string is right at the tip of my nose without tipping my head. As you get into longer draw lengths, this is one reason why most people prefer a longer ATA bow.

I mentioned this above - but make sure to throw on your late season / heavier hunting gear to check for string clearance too.

OP
540-Virginian
Thanks all! That shirts clings to me weird bc of fabric, so ill wear a different one on follow up pics.

ill try a 30” DL as someone suggested. im not locking my elbow, but i will relax it more.

I have right shoulder and elbow issues from snowboard injuries (disclocated shoudler and a broken elbow), so my release arm is the hardest to relax sometimes. My damn shoulder will even pop in and out of socket when I draw sometimes from loose ligaments.

Raise anchor point 1/2”
Shorten d loop a little
Could add nose button to get that last 1/8”
Soften bow arm, elbow pocket should point more towards 45 degrees, yours is straight up in the pic.

I had the same problem when I first started, thought there was no way I could touch nose to string, just Minor changes in form.

Your arrow should go through the cradle of your chin, right now it’s at the very bottom of that cradle area. YouTube John Dudley this topic.

OP
540-Virginian
Raise anchor point 1/2”
Shorten d loop a little
Could add nose button to get that last 1/8”
Soften bow arm, elbow pocket should point more towards 45 degrees, yours is straight up in the pic.

I had the same problem when I first started, thought there was no way I could touch nose to string, just Minor changes in form.
Thanks

im anchoring with my knockles on my jaw (following dudley videos including his ‘anchor up’ episode) would twisting/rotating my hand help raise my anchor? Or would increase DL help my hand move back and up along my jaw? Ill play around with it either way.

45 degree reference makes since, my elbow is definitely not that lol.

For what I see I wouldn't change your draw length, bend your arm a little more, let you knuckle joints slide a little further back you jaw line, not much it's like 3/8" different. This will both raise your anchor and bring it back a little. It's not going to take very much to get that string to your nose.

If feeling compressed doing that, then lengthen your draw.

Brendan

WKR
I have right shoulder and elbow issues from snowboard injuries (disclocated shoudler and a broken elbow), so my release arm is the hardest to relax sometimes. My damn shoulder will even pop in and out of socket when I draw sometimes from loose ligaments.

I've got draw arm shoulder issues too - mine was skiing not snowboarding. Longer ATA bow helps here, as does a shorter D Loop. Allows you to anchor further forward on your face, running a slightly shorter draw length and still have string at the tip of your nose, which in my experience puts a little less stress on the shoulder at full draw. Shorter ATA bows have a steeper string angle, and you need to draw and anchor further back to get the string at the tip of your nose.

Back tension and "follow through" is an issue for me because of how ingrained my "protect the shoulder" reflex is.

Last edited:
OP
540-Virginian
For what I see I wouldn't change your draw length, bend your arm a little more, let you knuckle joints slide a little further back you jaw line, not much it's like 3/8" different. This will both raise your anchor and bring it back a little. It's not going to take very much to get that string to your nose.

If feeling compressed doing that, then lengthen your draw.

so did what you suggested as a first start. Relaxed and bent my bow arm slightly and tried to anchor back a little more. I did about 10 draws keeping my eyes close to just feel vs try to see the peep. I definitely was able to touch the string with my nose without tilting my head down. However, i experience more facial pressure, and with eyes open my peep seemed to be more right where i couldnt acquire it without more pressure on string. This of couse lead to my BS arrows kicking right when i shot. Im going to keep practicing and seeing if grip or something will make it feel better. And will try the shorter d-loop someone suggested.

i have an online coaching session in two weeks that should help.

meant to add thanks agin for suggestions!

so did what you suggested as a first start. Relaxed and bent my bow arm slightly and tried to anchor back a little more. I did about 10 draws keeping my eyes close to just feel vs try to see the peep. I definitely was able to touch the string with my nose without tilting my head down. However, i experience more facial pressure, and with eyes open my peep seemed to be more right where i couldnt acquire it without more pressure on string. This of couse lead to my BS arrows kicking right when i shot. Im going to keep practicing and seeing if grip or something will make it feel better. And will try the shorter d-loop someone suggested.

i have an online coaching session in two weeks that should help.

meant to add thanks agin for suggestions!

Face pressure isn't always bad, just needs to be consistent.

That's the problem.

One place where lower letoff helps is face pressure. The more weight you can tolerate on the string at holding the less susceptible it is to external forces. I usually try to shoot the lowest letoff I can.

Even your nose on the string can move your peep around pretty good, especially with 85% letoff. Take a 60-65# bow and with 85% you only have 9# and change on the string, easy for it to get moved around.

OP
540-Virginian
One place where lower letoff helps is face pressure. The more weight you can tolerate on the string at holding the less susceptible it is to external forces. I usually try to shoot the lowest letoff I can.

Even your nose on the string can move your peep around pretty good, especially with 85% letoff. Take a 60-65# bow and with 85% you only have 9# and change on the string, easy for it to get moved around.

so shooting a week with 29.5 and .5” d-loop (vs .75 originally) was a little better but not great. I found i had to move my release hand to get my nose to touch. increased my draw length today a half inch and felt almost perfect. The peep still is to the right more than i like but i think its my form. I have a coaching session with in two weeks hoping he’ll be able to get my form fine tuned. I share pics after that session.

so shooting a week with 29.5 and .5” d-loop (vs .75 originally) was a little better but not great. I found i had to move my release hand to get my nose to touch. increased my draw length today a half inch and felt almost perfect. The peep still is to the right more than i like but i think its my form. I have a coaching session with in two weeks hoping he’ll be able to get my form fine tuned. I share pics after that session.

Does it hold better? That's what really matters.

Frequently it's not about what feels good, that's where you are comfortable. I feel good with my release elbow low, and as I shoot it drops down more and more.

This stuff is hard to do thru words. A coach is better than a picture, worth 10k words. At least a good one.