Help with arrow choice

nebhunt

WKR
I just picked up my new Mathews VXR and its time for me to get an arrow set up for deer and elk. With my old bow I shot the Easton Axis 340 spine arrow cut at 29.25 excluding nock. I only have 4 arrows left so if I'm going to change things up now is the time. My draw length is 28.5 and weight is 65lb. I shoot 100gr fixed heads. With my current arrow I think the total weight should be around 422 gr. I'm thinking I may need more weight for elk. Do I add weight with a brass insert or the half out and if I do should I go with a 300 spine? The 300 is 10.7 gr and 340 is 9.5 gr. Thanks for your help

big44a4

WKR
I just picked up my new Mathews VXR and its time for me to get an arrow set up for deer and elk. With my old bow I shot the Easton Axis 340 spine arrow cut at 29.25 excluding nock. I only have 4 arrows left so if I'm going to change things up now is the time. My draw length is 28.5 and weight is 65lb. I shoot 100gr fixed heads. With my current arrow I think the total weight should be around 422 gr. I'm thinking I may need more weight for elk. Do I add weight with a brass insert or the half out and if I do should I go with a 300 spine? The 300 is 10.7 gr and 340 is 9.5 gr. Thanks for your help

If you like the axis I would just add the brass insert and a footer or iron will collar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
What weight of arrow do I want to be at? I’m at 422 right now and I think from everything I read that I may want to be at least around 450

big44a4

WKR
What weight of arrow do I want to be at? I’m at 422 right now and I think from everything I read that I may want to be at least around 450

Whatever you are comfortable with. I use 530gr for everything. So anything around 500 would be better than 422. There’s a lot of factors and a lot of people that kill elk/other big game with sub 450gr arrows. It’s mainly preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
The Axis spine is broke down fairly quick. I would think if your going to add any components at all you would want a 300. I would go with the Titanium IW components so that you can have some flexability with broadhead weight.

Zac

WKR
The Axis spine is broke down fairly quick. I would think if your going to add any components at all you would want a 300. I would go with the Titanium IW components so that you can have some flexability with broadhead weight.

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
If I go with the Axis 300 at 29" and use the standard HIT insert and 100 gr head it looks like the total weight would be right at 458gr. Adding a titanium IW would put it at 468. Anyone know what the FOC might be on a build like that?

HDwild

WKR

The Axis are great arrows, I wouldn't worry too much about your weight. Those smaller, lighter arrows zip through animals.

JDZ

WKR
If I go with the Axis 300 at 29" and use the standard HIT insert and 100 gr head it looks like the total weight would be right at 458gr. Adding a titanium IW would put it at 468. Anyone know what the FOC might be on a build like that?
I did a quick calc and came up with 10.4%, based on a few assumptions including the 10 gr Iron Will collar.

KineKilla

WKR
Here are some setups I've built. You can tweak the numbers but this will give you some starting points.
b481038116d48f7841b2c08e1e25ecb2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
From the spine charts it looks like if I have a 29.5" arrow with standard insert, Iron Will collar and 100 gr head that I am right between the 340 and 300. My draw weight is 65lb. Is it better to go with a shaft that is a little on the stiff side? The spine charts seem to be a guessing game at best. Lancaster archery chat guy sounded like I could go with either the 340 or 300.

KineKilla

WKR
If you are right on the "cusp" I would go to the stiffer side. The other option would be to cut your arrows a touch short (have to be in front of the rest at full draw of course). I like the spine chart at Victory archery, it allows for custom inputs and shows your recommended spine down to 3 decimal points so you know just how close to the cusp you are.

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
I just went to Victory archery and put the information in. It just broke over to the 300 spine but not by much.

KineKilla

WKR
Were it me I'd probably go with the 300 spine and tweak the components to achieve the total weight you are wanting to have. If you want to have a high foc the stiffer spine will come in handy. FWIW I like to have my cut length the same as my draw length. At least as a starting point.