Help with backcounrty camping/fishing in Colorado

Ive taken the entire month of September off from work to travel, hunt, camp, and fish. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with hunting and Im not asking for any hunting information. At some point Im going to take a break from the hunting and do some fishing. Id like to get some recommendations on some areas in SW CO that I can hike in 2-5 miles, take my tipi, and fish for a couple of days. I really don't want to be in a "camp ground". I realize its most likely going to be impossible to get away from all people this year, but the less I see the better. I have very little experience fly fishing. Im going to buy decent fly rod and practice casting here at home in the coming weeks. I already have a lot of light weight spinning reels as backup if I happen to suck at the fly rod. I don't want to catch giant trophy fish. I just want to catch some fish that I can cook for dinner at night while I camp. Any recommendations or atleast general areas would be very helpful.
Thanks.

I don’t have any great recommendations on areas to go to. But as a fellow Oklahoman that has fished a lot and taken to fly fishing lately the last few years. I am no expert but have gotten just as good at casting with a fly rod as a spinning reel. It takes practice and mainly technique. But to be honest, fly fishing is way less about casting than it is made out to be in my opinion.

Learn and study up on how to mend, roll cast and use the pull/momentum of the fly coming out of the water to propel your back cast. Keep the fly at the same speed as the water current and watch your depth. You’ll catch on quick.

Good luck and have fun!

OP
Trevor73402
@TCUHunter34 thank you for the casting tips. I have a “cabelas brand” fly rod that belonged to my dad. I’m planning to do some practicing with it at my pond. It may be good enough to fish with. I really don’t know as I’m not up to speed on rods, weights, reels, line....etc. My aunt is retired works part time for Orvis and I’m planning to make a stop by there and get some gear before heading out.

ZDR

WKR
the Lake City area is great as is anywhere around Creede.
Pagosa Springs 4 mile creek trail is excellent.

ZDR

WKR
Be advised that the trip from Ouray to LAke City is very long unless you take the dirt road over Engineer pass. That requires a jeep type vehicle as it is very rough near the summit. It is an amazing drive though if you have the vehicle. Otherwise it is 100+ miles by highway to get from Ouray to LC...
However, if you are in Ouray, anywhere up around Mt Sneffels, or south towards Silverton and Durango - tons of opportunity.

OP
Trevor73402
Be advised that the trip from Ouray to LAke City is very long unless you take the dirt road over Engineer pass. That requires a jeep type vehicle as it is very rough near the summit. It is an amazing drive though if you have the vehicle. Otherwise it is 100+ miles by highway to get from Ouray to LC...
However, if you are in Ouray, anywhere up around Mt Sneffels, or south towards Silverton and Durango - tons of opportunity.
ZDR.....Ive put some wear and tear on good tires in that area more than once. Just don’t know about the fishing. 9DEB8757-39C6-431B-AF7C-B64F38AE897E.jpeg23D64B7C-FC3C-4786-85CE-7522FF57F931.jpeg

Vandy321

WKR
TCU hunter nailed it...practice simple flips upstream from the end of your drift, some great videos on you tube / orvis for this...thumb will start down with rod pointed at the fly at the end of the drift, rotate thumb/reel up towards the sky, then use that water tension and flip the rod (stopping at the 2 o'clock position) and end up with thumb pointing upstream where you were aiming...mend, mend, mend.

If you plan on fishing dry flies...go with something bigger, maybe some foam on it like an amy's ant or some sort of grasshoper pattern that you will not easily sink with a mend as a beginner. Some floatant would be handy as well.

Roll cast could be a big help in tight places as well, but i can fish 99% of my trips with just a flip...to get started, if you can't cast well, you can just strip line out downstream and start from there.

But for sure, big false casts getting a ton of line out, is nearly pointless on small rivers and streams, especially with brush and or bank just behind you.

Can't help on spots, but maybe check out the Conejos river down SE of Alamosa or anywhere from the creed down the Rio

ZDR

WKR
Youre well prepared with the 4 Runner:). I use a Tacoma...
For the fishing aspect, I personally like the Big Blue north of LC. hike in 2 miles and you will have the place to yourself, great fishing, an occasional moose and black bear. Its a gem of an area.

@TCUHunter34 thank you for the casting tips. I have a “cabelas brand” fly rod that belonged to my dad. I’m planning to do some practicing with it at my pond. It may be good enough to fish with. I really don’t know as I’m not up to speed on rods, weights, reels, line....etc. My aunt is retired works part time for Orvis and I’m planning to make a stop by there and get some gear before heading out.
That will be a great start! Can’t wait to see pictures!

OP
Trevor73402
Youre well prepared with the 4 Runner:). I use a Tacoma...
For the fishing aspect, I personally like the Big Blue north of LC. hike in 2 miles and you will have the place to yourself, great fishing, an occasional moose and black bear. Its a gem of an area.
Thank you greatly.

Get a couple bubbles. Fly and bubble with pistol petes, scuds, or surface flies will do damage at most lakes.