Help with backpack fitment (Kifaru, SG)

I'll try and keep this short and sweet. I have a Kifaru Mountain Warrior bag on a same era duplex frame. Last fall I packed out a bull elk and at times had 90lb in it. My hip flexors were ON FIRE during the pack out. I was relatively fit then 6' 205lb, 36" waist.

I just completed 75Hard (look it up if you aren't familiar) and dropped 22lb and my VO2max is 60. I plan on dropping another 10 before hunting season. I dropped 6" off my waist and the medium belt on my kifaru now doesn't fit. Before I order a small I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.

I've been doing a ton of walking/hiking with my kid in my kid carrier pack with a total weight of about 40lb. I put the same weight in my Kifaru pack to go for a walk a few evenings ago after the kid went to bed and my hip flexors were on fire again. Today I did 10 miles above 9500' with the kid in his carrier weighing 42lb and felt like I could have done another 10. From what I can tell I think the waist strap on my kifaru pack in addition to now being too big also feels to tall and I think it's going over my hips instead of resting on them. I try to raise it up and it just doesn't seem to stay there. This is putting the pack on properly, waist strap, shoulder straps, chest strap, load lifters, then loosening shoulders. Any ideas? I believe it has 26" stays but I'm not positive.

OP
streetdoctor
SG is involved cause I borrowed my buddies. Won't get a chance to try it until Saturday though.

OP
streetdoctor
I think I figured this out on my own. For anyone else with fit issues. I believe the Kifaru frame is just too big. I'm 6' 185lb for reference. Both packs are resting on top of my hips.

EE48D7F7-D6BB-4ED0-8B7A-24E4DECD0814.jpeg2CD05835-3568-4BAB-98B2-F569AEF34974.jpeg

fatlander

WKR
You have the kifaru set up wrong.

You should watch the videos on Kifaru’s site about how to properly fit the pack. Your load lifters are jacked up way too tight. There shouldn’t be a giant triangle under the shoulder straps.

Same thing with the SG although it’s not quite as bad. Go to YouTube and watch the pack fitting videos from kifaru and stone glacier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF the seam down the middle of the belt on the Kifaru is actually on the crest of your pelvis, then the straps on the Kifaru are definitely set up way too long. You should be able to slide your hand under with 40 or so lbs in the pack. I'm 6', 185 and used to use a 26" frame before switching brands. The extra height of the stays should actually make it easier on you rather than the pain you are describing.

The SG looks "better" but the load lifters are still cranked and bending/pulling the pack into your body...that's going to make breathing a challenge under a heavy load.

OP
streetdoctor
You have the kifaru set up wrong.

You should watch the videos on Kifaru’s site about how to properly fit the pack. Your load lifters are jacked up way too tight. There shouldn’t be a giant triangle under the shoulder straps.

Same thing with the SG although it’s not quite as bad. Go to YouTube and watch the pack fitting videos from kifaru and stone glacier.

Thanks, good videos. Dunno how I missed it before. I'll mess with the shoulder straps a bit and see but I don't think it's going to help. I noticed the Kifaru pack is high at the back of her head like mine. I think that's part of what I dislike and why I end up running it low as well.

fatlander

WKR
Thanks, good videos. Dunno how I missed it before. I'll mess with the shoulder straps a bit and see but I don't think it's going to help. I noticed the Kifaru pack is high at the back of her head like mine. I think that's part of what I dislike and why I end up running it low as well.

The taller (higher) the frame, the greater (better) the load lifter angle, the better it’s going to carry. That’s just physics.

The way you’ve got both of those packs in the pictures is really jacked up. Once you fit them
properly your issues should go away.

Make sure you the center of the belt is running across your iliac crest. Also, the actual belt you may have had on your pants could be causing you issues as well.

OP
streetdoctor
The taller (higher) the frame, the greater (better) the load lifter angle, the better it’s going to carry. That’s just physics.

The way you’ve got both of those packs in the pictures is really jacked up. Once you fit them
properly your issues should go away.

Make sure you the center of the belt is running across your iliac crest. Also, the actual belt you may have had on your pants could be causing you issues as well.

I'll definitely give it a try. Not spending anymore money sounds great lol. No belt on my pants though and I need to get a hold of a smaller kifaru belt. After losing weight this one is bottomed out.