Help with barrel contour

khuber84

WKR
Ditch the adjustable stock, the standard game warden has junk comb height though. The game hunter is better. Better choices are Mesa Precision altitude stock, ag composites alpine hunter. They have combs that'll work with 50mm objectives and sendero contour barrels without adj or adding a stock pack. There's nothing wrong with fluting if it's done right and proper stress relieving is performed after. But for simplicity and the fact you just cut 10oz off fbd stock, get a barrel that has a 700-750 muzzle, no flutes(or flutes if you prefer). Personally the 300prc does nothing for me, I'd go 30 nosler or standard win mag. I have them both, as well as the big norma improved. If this is nothing but a hunting rifle, add a wyatt's cfe9 4" magazine to your rem 700 and stay with the RUM. As far as 30 cals go, it's king on anything with a standard magnum bolt face. Plus you're already tooled up, gunwerks/adg make great brass for it now too.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Go with a fluted #4 heart. Same weight as a SL proof. Much cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Well clearly I need to go back to the drawing board because there's a lot more options out there. Thank you guys.

#5 should be great for a long action magnum, good luck and enjoy the build. I personally did not care for the comb/cheek of my non adjustable game scout but have a mcmillan hunter on order that im excited to see how it plays out. I used to be head over heels for adjustable cheek pieces but now I think of them as heavy, another failure point, and I am moving away from the intense cheek weld suggested by tactical shooters

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Personally the 300prc does nothing for me, I'd go 30 nosler or standard win mag. I have them both, as well as the big norma improved. If this is nothing but a hunting rifle, add a wyatt's cfe9 4" magazine to your rem 700 and stay with the RUM. As far as 30 cals go, it's king on anything with a standard magnum bolt face. Plus you're already tooled up, gunwerks/adg make great brass for it now too.
What's not to like about the 300PRC?
I'm sending 230's and 215's within 50 fps of my 300 Norma mag with 10 grains less powder.
I personally hated my 300 NM and sold it, the recoil and muzzle blast was ridiculous compared to the prc.
Also I had issues with pressure spikes that I couldn't figure out..

I'm sending 230's and 215's within 50 fps of my 300 Norma mag with 10 grains less powder.
I personally hated my 300 NM and sold it, the recoil and muzzle blast was ridiculous compared to the prc.
I think people dislike it for a few reasons:

less capacity than 30 nosler
less support than win mag
Hornady marketing/insta hunting is frustrating

It lands in that middle ground of Win mag --> PRC --> Nosler for case capacity, so it doesnt come out on the "top" of either for capacity or industry support. Its then touted by Hornady of the second coming of 30 cals when it barely holds more powder than a win mag and less than a nosler and doesnt have any premiere brass options like ADG (yet - q1 2020)

With all that said I had planned on a win mag but prc is still nagging at me for my build because I do really like the case design.

khuber84

WKR
I feel all the short comings of the norma have been remedied by improving the shoulder, and using lapua brass with quality dies that actually size the lower half the body, utilizing a powder that gets 95%+ fill is also important.
The prc: it's filling a hole that isn't there. It's basically a belt less 300wm. They did get the freebore right, but since it's a custom you can do that with all of em. Non rebated head.....I've never had an issue with my wsm/rum/nosler/saum cases feeding. If ADG makes brass for it, that'll be a gamechanger, however it's fps still lands somewhere below the rum, nosler, norma, wby, and above the win mag. Everyone has an option, this is a free country. Just stating, the PRC does very little for me. I also chose the 6.5 saum over the PRC every time for my personal use. But I did buy my dad a Havak pro hunter in PRC, as well as influenced my best friend to buy a BadRock southfork in PRC for his precision rifle. Why? Easy feeding from a detach box mag, quality otc ammo, and the case actually does perform: its the best short action 6.5 cal case with saami approval and factory support.
In the end, pick your poison and rock on, do what makes you happy.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Ha ha
You just
I feel all the short comings of the norma have been remedied by improving the shoulder, and using lapua brass with quality dies that actually size the lower half the body, utilizing a powder that gets 95%+ fill is also important.
The prc: it's filling a hole that isn't there. It's basically a belt less 300wm. They did get the freebore right, but since it's a custom you can do that with all of em. Non rebated head.....I've never had an issue with my wsm/rum/nosler/saum cases feeding. If ADG makes brass for it, that'll be a gamechanger, however it's fps still lands somewhere below the rum, nosler, norma, wby, and above the win mag. Everyone has an option, this is a free country. Just stating, the PRC does very little for me. I also chose the 6.5 saum over the PRC every time for my personal use. But I did buy my dad a Havak pro hunter in PRC, as well as influenced my best friend to buy a BadRock southfork in PRC for his precision rifle. Why? Easy feeding from a detach box mag, quality otc ammo, and the case actually does perform: its the best short action 6.5 cal case with saami approval and factory support.
In the end, pick your poison and rock on, do what makes you happy.
Ha ha
You just made a case for the 300 PRC as well with your last bit;)
The reason I went with it is that it's not severely overbore like the Rum or NM, there's no stupid belt and less body taper than the 300 WM, and good brass is right around the corner.
I will say though the 30 nos was a close second when I rebarreled, but it's pretty much identical performance to the prc with a little more powder.
I run a 6.5 saum as well and it's my favorite round for hunting inside 700 yards

Good discussion folks. I've personally never shot an animal that I couldn't have killed just as effectively if my choices were limited to cartridges available 100 years ago but it sure is fun to nitpick the little benefits of the options available today.

Speaking of the 6.5 SAUM, think i settled on a 135 A Tip load last weekend that's shooting bugholes at 3200 FPS over RL26. That makes me smile. 😁

I think I would start with a .300 win mag for good capacity and readily available brass, and ammo in case you lose yours. I would then use a longer barrel to take advantage of its powder capacity with slower powders like Rl 22. Similarly, I found that a 338 win mag could equal or better the performance of a .340 wby by using Rl 22 in a 29" barrel vs. the Wby using a 26". I know it isn't the trick of the week, but it works and Maj. Gen. Julian Hatcher in "Hatcher's Notebook" discussed the advantage of long barrels from tests almost a century ago.

Last edited:
Oh, and I really prefer the .33 size but most people are allergic or even terrified of going over .30 for some reason. I have had great results on game with inexpensive old time stuff like the Hornady 250 spire point, from antelope to elk.

khuber84

WKR
Ha ha
You just

Ha ha
You just made a case for the 300 PRC as well with your last bit;)
The reason I went with it is that it's not severely overbore like the Rum or NM, there's no stupid belt and less body taper than the 300 WM, and good brass is right around the corner.
I will say though the 30 nos was a close second when I rebarreled, but it's pretty much identical performance to the prc with a little more powder.
I run a 6.5 saum as well and it's my favorite round for hunting inside 700 yards
I guess if you want the case of 5th place performance, then that's your case. Equal pressures and equal freebore, 30 nosler will out run the prc, it has more diameter, sharper shoulder, equal length neck, all what you'd call precision traits. Longer thinner powder column vs a shorter wider one: well we all know who wins there. The only win for the prc vs nosler, better feeding manners and cheaper factory ammo. Other than that, better components, more velocity, shorter oal, less brass growth with 35° shoulder. I've saw several cases of 30 nosler with 250 freebore pushing 230 Bergers over 3050fps. That's not going to happen with the prc and Hornady brass. Idk, buy the latest greatest prs influenced new chick on the block cartridge, hopefully it sticks around. I think only people chambering rifles in it are ruger and Christensen. I don't see it taking off. The 30 nosler hasn't taken off nearly as fast the 28, even though it's a more practical choice. Richard Sherman has the 300 Sherman Magnum, which is an improved version of the prc, if you want to make it the best it can be, try that. It eliminates a lot of the taper abs goes to a 40° shoulder. Runs just above 30 nosler at same capacity. Rich runs everything very hot, as the minimal taper and sharp shoulder mask a lot of pressure signs.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I guess if you want the case of 5th place performance, then that's your case. Equal pressures and equal freebore, 30 nosler will out run the prc, it has more diameter, sharper shoulder, equal length neck, all what you'd call precision traits. Longer thinner powder column vs a shorter wider one: well we all know who wins there. The only win for the prc vs nosler, better feeding manners and cheaper factory ammo. Other than that, better components, more velocity, shorter oal, less brass growth with 35° shoulder. I've saw several cases of 30 nosler with 250 freebore pushing 230 Bergers over 3050fps. That's not going to happen with the prc and Hornady brass. Idk, buy the latest greatest prs influenced new chick on the block cartridge, hopefully it sticks around. I think only people chambering rifles in it are ruger and Christensen. I don't see it taking off. The 30 nosler hasn't taken off nearly as fast the 28, even though it's a more practical choice. Richard Sherman has the 300 Sherman Magnum, which is an improved version of the prc, if you want to make it the best it can be, try that. It eliminates a lot of the taper abs goes to a 40° shoulder. Runs just above 30 nosler at same capacity. Rich runs everything very hot, as the minimal taper and sharp shoulder mask a lot of pressure signs.
For me it wasn't about having the fastest..
Been there done that and now I shy away from overbore magnums.
My prc weighs 9.4 lbs wearing a Mk5 so recoil is a major consideration, a 225-230 moving at 2900-2950 is straight up awesome beyond where I'll shoot at an elk...

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Checked my #4 contoured 300 Terminator this morning for cold bore zero. She’s ready, put her in coach!
bfeb1a4f268f8ab801daf696200f33ff.jpg
e6fabb8e5f48567830986a385edd95ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: