Help with barrel contour

rharbaugh

WKR
Admittedly, I am a greenhorn and am looking for some clarification and much needed help. I started the fatal error of day dreaming about improving my Rem 700 300 win mag. It's a run of the mill 700 adl that came with a junk scope. So far I've had the barrel threaded, cheap muzzle break installed, new timney trigger, and dropped a vortex viper hs on.

Recently I've been looking at getting a new stock for it, but have been struggling to determine the factory barrel contour. I used the chart from Stocky's (https://www.stockysstocks.com/contours/) to see if that would answer my question, but left me only more confused. When I had the muzzle break installed, I measured the end of the barrel at .644", which doesn't come close to anything I can find. Maybe my micrometer was off, so I dropped a ruler on it for a quick look, and that indicated .625". The .625" matches a heavy sporter contour.

Thank you in advance for the shared knowledge and wisdom.

Riley

IMG_1897.jpgIMG_1898.jpg

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Good call on upgrading the stock. Don't forget to bed your new one when it arrives - great DIY learning project there.

If you're gonna play the game...
1. are you happy with the factory barrel?
2. if you were to replace it would you keep that contour?

The good news is that even if you order a stock for your factory contour and you goof too small, sand paper and wooden dowel will get you opened up and good to go in no time. Personally, I'd go a contour bigger and enjoy having a super clean free float with no chance of barrel contact.

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
Good call on upgrading the stock. Don't forget to bed your new one when it arrives - great DIY learning project there.

If you're gonna play the game...
1. are you happy with the factory barrel?
2. if you were to replace it would you keep that contour?

The good news is that even if you order a stock for your factory contour and you goof too small, sand paper and wooden dowel will get you opened up and good to go in no time. Personally, I'd go a contour bigger and enjoy having a super clean free float with no chance of barrel contact.
Can you please explain your thoughts on a going with a contour bigger?

RayG

FNG
Depends on your intended use for the rifle. For hunting or where you will be lugging it around a lot and shooting a little, a light contour barrel would be good. Something like a sporter to even a med palma.
Less carry and more shooting (target, PRS) heavier barrel will not heat up as quickly (less mirage and tendency for your shots to walk. Heavy palma all the way to M24 contour. They will all work with your Rem 700 action.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
If I wasn't clear, I meant that I would err intentionally on the side of a barrel channel that is slightly larger than the barrel. The reason being that it would ensure a complete free float of the barrel without the need for any sanding and it should still be close enough fitting to avoid an unseemly gap if that sort of thing bothers you (and it does many, so no worries on wanting a rifle to look good).

If you're willing the invest a little sweat equity, you can always open up a slightly too tight barrel channel without much difficulty, assuming you have a quality stock to work with in the first place.

If the factory barrelled action shoots, keep it! You can always do little things yourself, like lapping the lugs.

Lawnboi

WKR
Stock makers will also add more float to a stock, last one I ordered with .040 extra float. I agree with above I’d get one bigger or whatever you plan on putting on in the future. Iv got full on and ordered my last stock with an m24 barrel inlet so it will fit everything from carbon to sporter. More float is great but some don’t care for the look, too tight causes contact when the stock flexes.

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
If I wasn't clear, I meant that I would err intentionally on the side of a barrel channel that is slightly larger than the barrel. The reason being that it would ensure a complete free float of the barrel without the need for any sanding and it should still be close enough fitting to avoid an unseemly gap if that sort of thing bothers you (and it does many, so no worries on wanting a rifle to look good).

If you're willing the invest a little sweat equity, you can always open up a slightly too tight barrel channel without much difficulty, assuming you have a quality stock to work with in the first place.

If the factory barrelled action shoots, keep it! You can always do little things yourself, like lapping the lugs.
Thanks for the clarification!

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Best contour for a savage prefit in a 280 AI for a hunting rifle. Was thinking a #4, but will this be way too heavy … any suggestions?