Help with boot upgrade decision

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
I have been a midwest whitetail hunter all of my life but this past year I have the bug for backpack/mountain hunting. I bought what I thought to be a decent boot in the Under Armour line up to discover it isn’t enough for the load out packing elk. For the same elk hunt, my son bought Lacrosse windrose boots and said his feet felt great after packing out two bulls.

What I need help with is picking a better quality boot and not breaking the bank. Lets say the budget is 300 and under and I want non-insulated. I want something that is water proof (gtx), holds up well, has a nice toe box and doesn't require a long break-in period. Lowa, La Sportiva Nucleo and Salomon Quest have been some I have been considering because I can try them on locally at REI. Any input would be great and how they fit compared to Under Armour or Nike would be nice information.

xcutter

WKR
I've had trouble finding a boot that fits me right. Seems like I've finally settled on Schnee's boots. Particularly the Timberline's are my favorite with very little break in time. Second are the Kestrel but took probably 20 or 30 miles before they were broke in.

Be sure to test boots in your house going up and down stairs to make sure you don't get hot spots. Stiffer boots have not worked well for me. They eat my heels up.

Insoles can be important as well. I bought some custom orthotics and they were an absolute game changer. I wear them to work everyday and switch them over to hunting boots as well.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Recently switched to vivobarefoot hiking boots. Not a true barefoot shoe, which I'm.happy about, think it's a 5mm.drop, but the increase room in the toes are fantastic and they are very comfortable.

Caluses I had on my feet/toes from other boots have disappeared almost completely, been about a week of wearing them. Not sure if I'd go on a 20km ruck with them right away with a loaded pack, but I've done 10kms with them zero issues. Surprisingly their thermo insoles keep your feet quite warm as well.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Go pick up a pair of Crispi Lapponias from Midway.com (they’re back in stock now)....you’ll never look back. They’re ultra lightweight and ultra waterproof (Crispi is one of the top backpacking boots out there and this this their best model IMO...other models have too many seams or synthetic materials that wear out. I just keep adding the Crispi boot cream every few outings in our temperate rainforests environment in the PNW and amazingly my feet stay dry like a pair of rubber boots. Very comfortable and true to size as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Been very happy with Salewas for a narrower boot that still has a decently wide toe box. The sky is the limit on stiffness, but the Rapace or Crow might fit the bill at under $300.

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
In the same boat...looking at schnees hunters or the extreme 13’ for late season elk/late season Midwestern whitetail stalking/sits with the recurve

WCB

WKR
Personally I would stay away from the Salomons...Wife has an older pair maybe 10 years old that have held up well. I went through a pair in a year...just completely fell apart...leak n a month absolute junk. I would look at Crispi. I have 2 pairs of the Wyoming and absolutely no issues. They have a bunch of boots within $100 of what stated and IMO the quality is better than what you are looking at. If you pony up $100 bucks it opens up a whole new world.

OP
lnewton

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for your input. I am considering a couple brands more heavily now. Looking at the Crispi Attiva or laponia and Under Armour Hovr Dawn or renegage. I have done a ton of research and think for my needs, these are the first ones I will consider. Under Armour fits my foot so well I cant help but include them.

FireNelk

FNG
Between my job as wildland firefighter and a avid backpack hunter. I can say your boots should be one of your top purchases.
That being said. I have found that Crispi are great boots. The Crispi Summit GTX are great boots very comfortable and almost no break in.
I wear kennetrek for work as they have made a certified boot for firefighting. They make a good boot as well.
Solomon boots are very comfortable but the tend to wear out quickly.
So in my modest opinion the Crispi’s would be a great pick.
After years of wearing whites logger boots I can’t believe I waited as long as I did to switch over.