Help with bow order!

vcb

WKR
So have been bow hunting for 30 yrs and for the last 15yrs I have owned several bows. I usually buy a 60-70 lb bow and shoot it maxed out. I don't see myself shooting any more than 75 lbs......really 70 for almost everything. Isn't it better to get a 60-70lb bow and shoot it maxed out. Rather than buying a 70-80lb and shooting it at 70? I just ordered the new bow at 60-70 and maybe I should have gone with the 70-80? Help!

OR Archer

WKR
I'm of the belief that a bow will shoot its best peaked out. It's not to say is wont shoot well backed down though. One thing you will notice with a lot of bows today is once you start backing them down you will be adding brace height to the bow. So you will then need to shorten the draw. This will rob the bow of performance because you just lengthened the brace height from backing it down and shortened the draw.

I know that on a Hoyt you will lose 1.5% shooting in the middle of the draw weight range (4 turns out) since they now tell you 8 turns is max (3% loss of efficiency). PLUS most 70# bows come in heavy so you could be looking at 71-74 pounds out of the box.

My Vector Turbo opened up at 77 pounds out of the box.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Good to know. Thanks! I made the right decision I ordered the bow in 60-70. I was just second guessing myself