Help with building my sleep set-up

the hack

WKR
Have been researching the threads but would like to draw on the knowledge of the Roksliders.

I am starting from scratch. I am 5'11" and 160 lbs. I am an "active" (read thrasher) and side sleeper. I would like two set-ups (?) and need quilts/bags and a pad(s). I would prefer a quieter system but ear plugs are fine too.

I would like something ultralight for backpacking (pad and quilt) for spring-early fall solo hunt/trips and something for 0 degree and slightly below for the occasional winter camping and late season.

I have closed cell Nemo Switchbacks in short and long, but no inflatable pad.

I have an older Sitka down puffy and great layers so that should help. I have yet to build up my shelter system but have an older Big Agnes Copper Spur UL.

I have been saving a while so my budget is generous. What would you get? Thanks!

I use a variety of R rated EXPED wide pads and EE quilts from -10 to 30 degrees. I wear a merino base layer and sometimes a Hoodlum on my head. My wife got me their booties and mittens this year for Christmas, haven't tried em yet. Earplugs are a bad idea...if a hungry curious comes sniffing around I wanna hear it.

Last edited:
How "ultra light" you can go with your summer/early fall system also greatly depends on how "warm" of a sleeper you are to begin with. I sleep very warm, and my wife sleeps chilly. So each of our respective "ultra light" September sleep systems are quite different in weights, hers being significantly heavier than mine.

OP
the hack

the hack

WKR
Thanks for the help! As for budget I'd like to go top shelf--I think I can swing the WM stuff as I have saved up. I am a hot sleeper. Living in dangerously cold northern MN for most of my life as trained me tolerate cold weather well.

tdot

WKR
I'm moving my system towards a 30degree down quilt with a sewn closed foot box, a 30 degree Apex flat quilt that I can layer over top, or can run either individually, depending conditions. This gives me a very versatile system, I find quilts so easy to vent that I dont bother with anything lighter and the weight savings isnt worth the loss in versatility for me.

Flat quilt can also be used as a glassing blanket.

I have a 15degree WM bag, but it rarely gets used anymore.

I run a winter and a summer Synmat. Probably could have gotten away with just the winter. But the weight savings is nice.

The addition this year that's kept me happy is a DCF pillow from HMG. Fleece faced. Very nice. I also use Kifaru Ultralight stuffsac in the largest size. It just gets cold on the face.

Thanks for the help! As for budget I'd like to go top shelf--I think I can swing the WM stuff as I have saved up. I am a hot sleeper. Living in dangerously cold northern MN for most of my life as trained me tolerate cold weather well.

Like you, I sleep very warm as well, so this year for my September elk hunt I did an experiment to see how light I could possibly go for a bivy style hunt, while still being comfortable and warm.

I bit the bullet and tried my first quilt; a Zpacks 30 degree Solo Quilt. For the size I purchased it weighed a little under 15 ounces in the cuben fiber stuff sack. That's lighter than my sleeping pad! For a pad I run a Thermarest Neoair X-Lite (regular length, but the wide version), and it comes in at just over 15 ounces. I also used a 2 oz Sea to Summit inflatable pillow. So my entire sleep system weighed in at exactly 2 lbs.

Now that my sleep system was CRAZY light, and virtually unnoticeable in my pack, I was just worried that I might not be warm enough. After this archery season, all I can say is I will never use a mummy bag again! I spent a couple of nights in the high 20's, wearing just my light base layers, and I stayed comfortable the entire time. I'm sure I'd be fine if it dropped to 20 degrees as long as I put on my puffy and my hunting pants. At only 14.9 oz, and still staying warm, I'm officially a believer.

Since I sleep so warm, this year I'm looking to go even lighter and try out the new Thermarest Neoair Uberlite. Weighing just 8.8 oz (for the regular width) this will shave off about 7 ounces, bringing my total sleep system to just over a pound and a half. I'm giving up quite a bit of r-value going with the Uberlite (it only gives you a value of 2.3, so roughly half as warm as the x-lite). I know this set up will be great for summer, but we'll see about September when the temps dip into the 20's. I have good insulating layers with me, so if it's too cold with the new pad, I can always layer up.

This sleep system is on the extreme lightweight end for fall hunting, and probably won't work for most people who don't sleep really hot. It seems like a lot of guys on here prefer other quilts (EE, or Katabatic for example) over the Zpacks. But those are a little heavier, and like I said, my goal was to see how light I could go and still be comfortable. So far I love my Zpacks quilt, and don't see me changing to anything else during my September hunts here in Wyoming.

I'm moving my system towards a 30degree down quilt with a sewn closed foot box, a 30 degree Apex flat quilt that I can layer over top, or can run either individually, depending conditions. This gives me a very versatile system, I find quilts so easy to vent that I dont bother with anything lighter and the weight savings isnt worth the loss in versatility for me.

Flat quilt can also be used as a glassing blanket.

I have a 15degree WM bag, but it rarely gets used anymore.

I run a winter and a summer Synmat. Probably could have gotten away with just the winter. But the weight savings is nice.

The addition this year that's kept me happy is a DCF pillow from HMG. Fleece faced. Very nice. I also use Kifaru Ultralight stuffsac in the largest size. It just gets cold on the face.

+1 on the WM bag! I too have the 15 degree WM, but it only gets used when it's very cold, because it's such a furnace. The quality is second to none though.

duchntr

WKR
Personally id get get a 20 and a 0 deg down bag, whatever brand/sizing works best for you is your choice. In addition id get a summer pad and a winter pad, and exchange them with aforementioned bags as temps dictate. I am fond of my xlite pad for the summer and my xtherm+zlite pad for winter.

OP
the hack

the hack

WKR
Guys, thanks a TON for taking the time to write a thoughtful response--very helpful for this new hunter. Next stop Sheep Show!