Help with cam timing issue SS34

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, guys. Got a new SS34 and doing my first full tuning. Custom strings from local shops builder (hit/miss yet to be determined).

So I've got it shooting bullet holes, and broadheads hitting with field-points. Centershot set right around 3/4+ and deadlock about 1 turn cam right.

Brace, ATA, Peak Draw weight all at spec. Draw length seems about 1/4 - 1/2" short from setting.

Cams are synced and twisted up cables to bring up peak Draw weight to spec, but at brace the cables are on the outer edge of the "timing marks" (as in completely outside of them but on edge).

What's left? Take a twist or two out of the string and relocate peep? Does it matter? Were the strings or cables out of length spec?

Am I just overanalyzing? Any help is much appreciated.

OR Archer

WKR
Those marks are ball park at best. If the bow is in spec and making weight don’t worry about the marks on the cams.
As far as the draw length portion goes there’s a few things that can factor into that. One is that your bow wasn’t actually in spec before changing the strings. Two your loop length is different from previous setup effecting your anchor. Three your main string is twisted up too much. Couple of twists makes a big difference in feel without effecting spec measurements.

OP
JF_Idaho

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
As far as the draw length portion goes there’s a few things that can factor into that. One is that your bow wasn’t actually in spec before changing the strings. Two your loop length is different from previous setup effecting your anchor. Three your main string is twisted up too much. Couple of twists makes a big difference in feel without effecting spec measurements.

My bad. I should have worded that differently. In the 29.5 setting on modules and draw stops I'm only getting a measurement around 29 - 29 1/8 on draw board.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bowtech Carbon Knight, Revolt-X, and Solution. Every bow is a bit different, I always play with draw length until I find what gives me the best pin float.
I generally get the steadiest pin float at about 27-3/8" draw length, yes I'm a shorty. I do not have a draw board yet, so I just get as close as I can with the modules and then use d-loop length to fine tune (and/or Lucky Stops too, but I use them more for valley and holding weight tweaks). I start with a 5/8" length d-loop, find the module setting that feels closest, and then play with d-loop length to get best pin float.
With a 5/8" d-loop:
The carbon knight set at 27.5" on module is perfect.
The Revolt-X at 27.5" is a hair long, but quite a bit too short at 27".
The Solution at 27.5" is quite a bit too long, but at 27" it is just a hair short.
In other words, they can vary between models, even from the same manufacturer, by quite a bit. The Carbon Knight appears to be an 1/8" short, the Revolt-X is spot on, and the Solution is a good 1/4" long.

Look at Mathews, it is very common knowledge that their modules tend to be a 1/2" long. At least they're consistent with it between models.

If specs are truly spot on and axle to axle is in spec, brace height at spec, making peak poundage of limbs, and tuned to shoot bare, field point, and fixed to same spot, then that's pretty darn good results. Like OR Archer said, the dots on the cams are ballpark at best. Having the module be about 3/8" to a 1/2" short is quite a bit, but it doesn't necessarily mean there's any kind of problem. It is a bit odd though, they tend to run long if anything, helps to justify the bold lie of claimed IBO speed lol.
Perhaps the 30" module and stop setting is perfect for giving you the steadiest pin on this particular bow. I personally wouldn't sweat that too much if everything truly measures at spec.

Zac

WKR
Mine ran long 3/4 on the ATA off the shelf. Also after market strings resulted in the same measurement. My cables were totally out of the dots as well. I had to send my cables back to get a new set made.