Help with choosing components for new 300

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
And hoping to get a little help choosing some components for a custom 300 WinMag I am going to have built. I have the scope to go with it already.

A customer of mine is a gunsmith and we are going to trade some of my work out for this new rifle. I want a lightweight sexy looking tact driver that comes in around 10-11 lbs.

Thanks in advance for the help! Ben.

Antares

WKR
What do you want to use it for?
What ranges are you looking to shoot?
What bullet do you want to shoot?
What is "sexy" to you (i.e., carbon barreled aluminum chassis space gun or high-grade fancy walnut and blued metal)?

What scope do you have already?
Do you want a carbon fiber barrel? Fluted barrel?
Muzzlebrake? Suppressor?

OP
ben@bpetersondds

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
Oh damn. This will be a backcountry elk gun. Non carbon barrel, braked, 800 yard range, 180-200 grain bullets and kuiu pattern or similar stock with ceracoat barrel. I will put a Leopold vx5 or 6 scope on it. Love my other Leopold scopes.

I’d run the following
Custom action of your choice.
26” fluted #3 bartlein or #4 from most other manufacturers.
MBM 4 port brake
McMillan Edge filled Game stalker or Manners EH2 stock
Use a reamer setup for 215s. Broz reamer setup is what Id recommend.

I’d run the following
Custom action of your choice.
26” fluted #3 bartlein or #4 from most other manufacturers.
MBM 4 port brake
McMillan Edge filled Game stalker or Manners EH2 stock
Use a reamer setup for 215s. Broz reamer setup is what Id recommend.

yep. Basically same.

pick the action you want. Trigger tech trigger.
McMillan Edge, Manners, or AG composites stock. Going to probably have to get it dipped if you want a Kuiu pattern.
Bartlein 3B with spiral or diamond fluting
Get it reamed for the more modern bullets (ELDX, accubond long range etc, Berger VLD)

Twist set up based on how heavy you want to shoot . 180-200 then 1 in 9 or 1-10.
200-220 , 1 in 9. 220+ 1-8

also on twist, look up the bullets you are considering on manufacture website. For Hammer for example can only shoot a 180 with a 10 twist but with a lead core bullet like Berger I think they list up to 215 grain.

lightweight sexy looking tact driver that comes in around 10-11 lbs
really not lightweight (around here). Not a bad thing(good imo), it will shoot great.

Depending on what that includes thats easily doable without going skinny or carbon.

My build:
Defiance tenacity
21" rock creek #4, blended 3 port brake
mcmillan "mcmillan hunter" profile, standard fill
bdl bottom metal

simple build, finished at 7.5lbs empty- 9 lbs with a razor lht and rings

remember different barrel makers have dif specs per contour, a bartlein will be one contour heavier than a krieger/brux/rock (#3=#4)

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Have you taken a look at @Unknown Munitions? I haven't used them personally but they have a solid following, very customer service oriented, and can probably help you out with your load selection given the specs of your rifle.

Action: Nitrided Defiance AnTi or Lone Peak fuzion with alpine port.

Barrel : Benchmark or Krieger custom contour based on a #4 but with a 1/2" long expansion at the muzzle
to 0.725" to allow for 5/8" muzzle threads. If not getting a custom contour you'd have to go heavier to get 0.725" at the muzzle for 5/8" threads. You can heavily flute the barrel to reduce weight or go with smaller muzzle threads with a lighter contour, neither of which are ideal IMO. I'd probably go 24" long. Plenty of other good barrel makers but I know these two will do a custom contour and wait time should be less than bartlein. If you dont care about muzzle threads i'd just look for an in stock bartlein, benchmark, brux, krieger, hawk hill, mullerworks, etc in a contour close to a bartlein #3.

Stock : Lots of options. I like Gunwerks Magnus, Manners LRH, Benchmark Ibex (by AG). If your barrel isn't very long the gunwerks clymr is a nice option too.

Trigger: Trigger tech works, I'm just starting to try out a Geissele super 700 in hopes that it is less likely to have reliability issues.

IRRC a 3B in krieger is the same contour weatherby uses on the accumarks that weigh in at 8.25 lbs unscoped. Thats on heavy weatherby 9 lug, without carbon stock and without deep flutes and a 26”.

could definitely shave some weight in those places and have them as wind gypsy said run the lowest or custom contour that you can thread 5/8s for a suppressor. Deep diamond or spiral flutes will also shave a lot more weight than the shallow weatherby flutes.

One thing to consider as well is balance. Too heavy a contour out to 26” (especially with suppressor on top of that) with a super light weight carbon fiber stock could be muzzle heavy with a light scope. There definitely is a sweet spot you want to hit.

now if you want a 5.5 lb 300 mag it can be done, but going to be not much beef on the barrel , and going to be pretty violent recoil without a brake and even more violent concussion with a brake , especially if going something short like 22”.

Last edited:
really not lightweight (around here). Not a bad thing(good imo), it will shoot great.

Depending on what that includes thats easily doable without going skinny or carbon.

My build:
Defiance tenacity
21" rock creek #4, blended 3 port brake
mcmillan "mcmillan hunter" profile, standard fill
bdl bottom metal

simple build, finished at 7.5lbs empty- 9 lbs with a razor lht and rings

remember different barrel makers have dif specs per contour, a bartlein will be one contour heavier than a krieger/brux/rock (#3=#4)
Got a pic? Dangerously close to my plans for a 30 nosler build. Defiance Anti, Bartlein 3b and edge fill on the same stock.

Got a pic? Dangerously close to my plans for a 30 nosler build. Defiance Anti, Bartlein 3b and edge fill on the same stock.
Anti will be a touch lighter 3b will be a little heavier, edge will be a little lighter. Probably be close to the same in the end depending on bbl length. Mine balances right on the front edge of the bottom metal, yours will likely be a touch forward of that unless you have some weight in the back somehow.

Attachments

• 2D315581-AD5A-4351-AB32-9A328C76CDAF.jpeg
    2D315581-AD5A-4351-AB32-9A328C76CDAF.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 0691C7DA-3E02-4A05-B54B-192A66B41F1A.jpeg
    0691C7DA-3E02-4A05-B54B-192A66B41F1A.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 51
  • E330C632-F6D3-416F-BBBB-CBB2EAC119DA.jpeg
    E330C632-F6D3-416F-BBBB-CBB2EAC119DA.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 50
Anti will be a touch lighter 3b will be a little heavier, edge will be a little lighter. Probably be close to the same in the end depending on bbl length. Mine balances right on the front edge of the bottom metal, yours will likely be a touch forward of that unless you have some weight in the back somehow.
What cartridge is this rifle chambered in? Looks awesome!

That’s a synthetic stock?
At least over the internet McMillian did a good job making it look like a high end wood job.