Help with choosing components for new 300

OP, does your gunsmith have any barrels or other stuff already on the shelf? Or are you going to custom order everything?

The clymer stocks ealier suggested look sweet, i've been considering one.

Anti will be a touch lighter 3b will be a little heavier, edge will be a little lighter. Probably be close to the same in the end depending on bbl length. Mine balances right on the front edge of the bottom metal, yours will likely be a touch forward of that unless you have some weight in the back somehow.
Looks great, love the Mcwalnut. My 264 win mag has a Mcwoody on it.

Totoro

WKR
I'd toss in AG Composites stock and a deep spiral fluted light palma tube @ 26" with blended brake.

Have fun with the build!

I built a 300 win off of a bighorn origin, proof carbon sendero 26”, tt special, and currently sits in a krg bravo. It is about 11lbs with a NX 8 4-32 so not really light. I know you said no carbon but I have had exceptional luck with the prrof barrels. This 300 is one of my best shooting guns. I am looking to get a manners lrh to keep some adjustability of the stock and loose about a pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most important item for the shooter is the stock. The new Manners LRH is about the most ideal hunting/cross-over stock out there. I would have them set back the action about 1/4" - 1/2" from their typical mold.

Ive never heard of them setting the action back.. that’s a thing?

bradb

WKR
When I stopped by Manners a week ago to look at the LRH they had some un inlet blanks that were not spoken for. So I wasn't pciky on color(they had a few camo) bought one and should have it much sooner then normal

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a few deal breakers depending on the application. I believe you said back country. If the gun is going to be put on a pack and you are going to be climbing mountains then a locking bolt is a must have. That is a deal breaker for me. I had a bold come out of a gun one time that rendered my gun worthless. The only custom action I know of that has a locking bolt is the Defiance (I could be really wrong on this). Tikkas come with a locking action too but I'm sure you aren't looking to "accurize" a gun. So a locking action is a must have for me with a back country gun. For sitting blinds and normal hunting it isn't a bid deal. Being back in with a gun that doesn't go bang is not a great experience.

Shorter barrel. I have a 22" #3 stainless steel brux barrel on my gun. It is a great length and I can get plenty of speed and accuracy. a 26" barrel is a PITA if you put it on a pack.

A "nice to have" is a magazine. Not a requirement but it sure is nice to have.

OP
ben@bpetersondds

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
Guys thank you for all the information. Been spending my Saturday researching and scheming! Going to be a lot of fun. Thanks again.

So I have a few deal breakers depending on the application. I believe you said back country. If the gun is going to be put on a pack and you are going to be climbing mountains then a locking bolt is a must have. That is a deal breaker for me. I had a bold come out of a gun one time that rendered my gun worthless. The only custom action I know of that has a locking bolt is the Defiance (I could be really wrong on this). Tikkas come with a locking action too but I'm sure you aren't looking to "accurize" a gun. So a locking action is a must have for me with a back country gun. For sitting blinds and normal hunting it isn't a bid deal. Being back in with a gun that doesn't go bang is not a great experience.

Shorter barrel. I have a 22" #3 stainless steel brux barrel on my gun. It is a great length and I can get plenty of speed and accuracy. a 26" barrel is a PITA if you put it on a pack.

A "nice to have" is a magazine. Not a requirement but it sure is nice to have.
A locking bolt? As in locked down when in battery? Most actions don’t have this feature but some do if you apply the saftey( Old M700, M70 and a few others. I don’t think defiance does unless you got with the 3 position saftey.
Even if the bolt comes open it doesn’t just fall out of the rifle unless the bolt stop is broken or malfunctioning. This would not be a concern for me when choosing which action to build on but that’s just my opinion.

Last edited:

Grease

Lil-Rokslider
I just built a new 300 win. Defiance GA Hunter action, Bsrtlien #4 CF 26” 1-9 twist, chambered for 215 Berger’s, McMillan UL Game Hunter, triggertech primary, Hawkins brake. Mark5 hd 3.6-18 and Seekins rings.

Its shooting bug holes 0.020 off the lands with ADG brass, 74.5 gr H1000 at 2900 fps. Comes in at 9lbs 10oz Hopefully this info will help you with your decision.

Attachments

• E9B34BCA-B437-4817-8C2C-E7EFB90D0DB7.jpeg
    E9B34BCA-B437-4817-8C2C-E7EFB90D0DB7.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 16