Help with Colorado preference points?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods please move it if not. And if this has all been laid out on here somewhere, if someone can just help me find that thread, that'd be great as well.

Looking at picking up a preference point for deer in Colorado, and am confused by all the recent changes. I know the application fee went up a few bucks, but I read there is no preference point fee for species besides moose, sheep, and goat, so does that mean the point doesn't cost anything?

I also read that applicants must purchase a "qualifying license" to enter the draw, and the cheapest non resident qualifying license is the $81.75 small game license. Does that mean I have to buy one of those?

I guess I'm asking what exactly I need to buy to get a point and how much it now costs. Thanks in advance.

lif

WKR
You need the small game license first. Then elk deer antelope are a $9 application fee. And a $10 habitat stamp. I believe that’s it.

You need the small game license first. Then elk deer antelope are a $9 application fee. And a $10 habitat stamp. I believe that’s it.

This but I’m pretty sure the habitat stamp come with the small game license. When you apply for a preference point the code is p999999p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
This but I’m pretty sure the habitat stamp come with the small game license. When you apply for a preference point the code is p999999p
You might be right. I didn’t pay that close of attention. Thanks.

As a resident I had to make two separate transactions. The first for the qualifying license plus the habitat stamp. The second was applying for each big game animal. As stated previously a non resident qualifying license is $81.75. Habitat stamp is $10 and each application fee is $9 for non residents. If you just apply for a point for deer then your total cost would be $100.75.

As long as you add a 2019 small game license to your cart (software will add habitat stamp automatically) you can then select applications for big game, and check out in one shot! Like stated above, it was $100.75 for my wife’s application (deer only) 👍🏻

As long as you add a 2019 small game license to your cart (software will add habitat stamp automatically) you can then select applications for big game, and check out in one shot! Like stated above, it was $100.75 for my wife’s application (deer only)

Fingers crossed my wife pulls a deer tag 3rd rifle this year for the unit we elk hunt. He have quite a few deer.

ericF

WKR
As long as you add a 2019 small game license to your cart (software will add habitat stamp automatically) you can then select applications for big game, and check out in one shot! Like stated above, it was $100.75 for my wife’s application (deer only) 👍🏻

At that point, why not add on points for elk, bear, and antelope. It may not make sense for everybody. But once you have bought your qualifying license, it is only $9 for each additional preference point outside of the big three.

At that point, why not add on points for elk, bear, and antelope. It may not make sense for everybody. But once you have bought your qualifying license, it is only $9 for each additional preference point outside of the big three.

SSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Point creep sucks as it is! Hahahaha

It’s a good point, it’s cheap..... to me though having a pile of elk and antelope points in Colorado is like having a pocket full of Monopoly money.... :p

sneaky

"DADDY"
It’s a good point, it’s cheap..... to me though having a pile of elk and antelope points in Colorado is like having a pocket full of Monopoly money.... :p
Like having a gravel pit in the wintertime

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
cornfedkiller
If you buy a point, do you lose them if you don't continue to buy them every year, or do you keep them?

ericF

WKR
From page 18 of the 2019 Big Game Regulations it looks like it is now 10 years. I believe they used to expire after 3 years.

POINTS ACCUMULATE until you draw a frst-choice license. If an applicant fails to apply for a species or has not purchased a license for that same species during any given 10-year period, all accumulated preference points for that species become void.

ChrisAU

WKR
Edit to clear up, I have an elk app in. If I am wanting to be successful for my elk draw 1st choice, can I still buy a deer point? Hadn't even occured to me until this thread.

Follow up edit: Got my answer from CPW. Chalk this up as things that don't occur to a dumbass flatlander...but I am $18 poorer now :)

Last edited: