Help with DIY bino holder for trekking poles

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
Going on a mulie deer hunt and probably my last this fall. I've got good binos and know you have to glass a lot. But don't have a tripod or mono pod. Not trying to be cheap as much as I'm trying to save space and weight. I'd like to make something to use my trekking poles as a tripod. I can either use a buddies or cut a branch or carry something extra for the 3rd leg. I know they make some you can buy for this but in my opinion like most outdoor items they are extremely over priced.

I'm sure many on here have made their own set ups for glassing that are ultra lights.

Let me know and thanks!

Cplace

FNG
Before I had a tripod, I used my trekking pole as a mono-pod, or really just as a brace. My trekking poles have a round ball like top that was easy enough to rest my binoculars on. Also, the poles are height adjustable. So, while sitting, I could rest my binos on top of the pole and do some glassing. So, It works. In fact, that year I ”glassed” my first 2 bulls at 900 yards, it made me a believer in glassing and was and exhilarating experience. A tripod is nicer, yes, but so are a lot of things we don’t have.
I believe, We worry too much as hunters now about our gear. The main point is just to get out there and hunt, and that only takes a weapon. The other stuff is just fluff that helps. Just go with whatever you’ve got, it’ll be great.

Cplace

FNG
As for making something on the cheap, I would buy one of the inexpensive binocular tripod adapters and figure out a way to mount it to the top of your trekking pole (Screw, glue, jb weld, etc.). Then you’d have a mono pod.

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
Before I had a tripod, I used my trekking pole as a mono-pod, or really just as a brace. My trekking poles have a round ball like top that was easy enough to rest my binoculars on. Also, the poles are height adjustable. So, while sitting, I could rest my binos on top of the pole and do some glassing. So, It works. In fact, that year I ”glassed” my first 2 bulls at 900 yards, it made me a believer in glassing and was and exhilarating experience. A tripod is nicer, yes, but so are a lot of things we don’t have.
I believe, We worry too much as hunters now about our gear. The main point is just to get out there and hunt, and that only takes a weapon. The other stuff is just fluff that helps. Just go with whatever you’ve got, it’ll be great.
I truly appreciate your reply and 100% agree. Honestly I was expecting 10 jokers to reply with just get a $700 CF tripod and here's the 10 reasons you need it....
I'm going with a friend who was a licensed and very successful guide in WY for 17 years. He's taken several trophy mulies, elk, sheep and more. After all his years and experience he still doesnt carry a tripod to glass with. Even when he had horses! That's was all I needed to hear.
But of course after thinking, if I can make use of items I already have to carry that would be a bonus. I have a plan for a mono pod but need ideas for a DIY tripod.
Thanks again and best of luck this year.

There are a few threads on here with different ideas. I have made a couple out of aluminum square tube and with my 3d printer. I think another guy on here made one out of a chunk of aluminum pipe.

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
There are a few threads on here with different ideas. I have made a couple out of aluminum square tube and with my 3d printer. I think another guy on here made one out of a chunk of aluminum pipe.
I've searched and looked. Didn't come up with much.
Do you have any pics of what you made?
Thank you

Cplace

FNG
I don’t like advertising for Amazon, but this is definately Best bang for your buck on a decent tripod. it would be very hard to try and make something anywhere near this For $40.

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
Hey you can't use homemade tripods with a set of Swaro ELs!
Very nice work!