Help with first LR hunting build

I definitely agree with everyone on staying away from the Nosler calibers. The PRC series will get you almost as much with better barrel life, and I suspect, down the road you’ll have more ammo choices.

Since I shoot everything with a can, with their recoil reduction, big 30’s don’t bother me. But I respect you not being a fan if you don’t want to take your can hunting. So, what about building it in 6.5PRC and pushing the Berger 156gr Extreme Hunters? They would have plenty of energy past 500 for elk. I know you don’t reload and there isn’t a factory load available (yet) but you could simply have a custom load created by someone like DallasReloads.com for hunting and simply practice with the Hornady PH with the 146gr ELDX. Custom loads have the potential to get more speed and shoot the bullets of your choice. If you work with a Reloader AND your builder, you can design a chamber that gives you the best shot at your ballistic goals. To me, that’s the POINT of building a custom rifle. Honestly, I don’t see the point in building a custom rifle if you’re not going to shoot a custom load tuned to your rifle; to get more out of it than you could with another rifle. A custom load might get you the speeds you can’t get out of a factory load along with cold bore accuracy the factory can’t provide. There are plenty of top tier and semi-customs out there that are cheaper and will shoot factory ammo just as well and cost less than a custom build. Just a thought.

The 300wsm might be a good one for ya. The recoil is pretty light. I’m guessing it’s lighter than the 28N. I think you can get about 3Kfps out of a 24” barrel with a 165gr factory load. Again, with a custom load in the right chamber you should have no issue reaching your goal. Possibly even with a 22” barrel.

I know you said you don’t like to take your suppressor hunting but it might be worth rethinking that. It’ll sure make shooting more fun, even when hunting. I take mine on 22” and 24” barrels all the time and it’s not bad at all - my longest one is 7”. How long is yours? If you’re going to make a long shot, you’re going to have time to setup for the shot. So, why not carry the suppressor separately, if the extra length bothers you, and just screw it on during setup? It only takes 20 seconds at most to pull it out of a pocket and thread it on.

I’m building something similar or the SR3 action and I’m going to throw a suggestion at ya. It’d raise your cost slightly, but not much; and it’ll open lots of options later on that’ll save you money in the long run. The Bighorn actions are MADE for this with their floating bolt head.....put a WTO Switchlug on rifle! That way you can swap out barrels and run multiple calibers out of that one gun. I’ll never build another rifle without one. Why would anyone NOT want to be able to shoot one rifle for multiple calibers and configurations? You get used to one stock, action and scope setup. Just swap barrels and then just either adjust your scope or swap scopes. This gives you the ability to customize your rifle for various hunts and all it costs is the rate for turning a barrel. New bolt heads (with the face of your choice) are only $125-$175. So, for about $1k (Proof barrel, turning fee + new bolt head) you can turn your custom rifle into another custom rifle. Pretty darn cool! A shooting/hunting partner of mine had one built and it was STUPID accurate across 2 calibers so he had another built (in long action) to see if it was a one-off. Nope! It’s stupid accurate. Just as accurate as my custom built by renowned benchrest builder Mike Bryant. That’s when I was sold on the Switchlug.

Hope this is of some use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other thing I want to add....

I’ve heard some people talking about issues with the Jewell triggers; but I’ve got to say, I’ve been using them for MANY years and have loved them. Never had a single problem with them and I have ZERO hesitation recommending them. My most used rifle has a 1.5lb pull set on it and I drag that thing everywhere and bang it around and, like I said, no issues. I have 100% confidence in it.

All that said, I’m using a Trigger Tech Diamond on my next build and have one on order for one of my ARs. I think they’re amazing and I’m looking forward to shooting them. I think EITHER trigger is a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
My suppressor is 8.2" long and isn't fun to carry in the woods. It also has a 8-10" poi shift down at 100 yards. I have been thinking about getting a short one for hunting.

Im rethinking my caliber choice and currently stuck between 7 rm and 300 prc. Leaning towards 7.

If anyone else is unfortunately living in central fl and has long range building experience let me know. I have a place to shoot with almost unlimited distance and can probably put you on some hogs as well.

Hummmm....28 Nosler is a hunting hammer. Yeah, it is hard on barrels, but so are a bunch of other cartridges. I would not exceed 24 inches on barrel length. I don't disagree with above posters going with a 30 cal..at 30 PRC looks pretty cool...the 300 WSM is easy as pie, one of my favorites. One of my favorite long range rigs is a 7SAUM with 175s. It is easy on barrels, on paper it's ballistically awesome, and kills great. If you want a hammer build a 33 Nosler (if you want the Nosler case) or a 338 Norma with 250s and 300s...nothing Bucks the wind like a 338...im a fan...

AceRifles

FNG
I'd skip the 28 Nosler and jump to a 300 PRC.

Also stay the hell away from a Jewell if you want to make sure it goes bang every time. Get a trigger tech.

I've built tons of the style of rifle you are looking at with Bighorns, proofs and manners.

WRO

WKR
My suppressor is 8.2" long and isn't fun to carry in the woods. It also has a 8-10" poi shift down at 100 yards. I have been thinking about getting a short one for hunting.

Im rethinking my caliber choice and currently stuck between 7 rm and 300 prc. Leaning towards 7.

If anyone else is unfortunately living in central fl and has long range building experience let me know. I have a place to shoot with almost unlimited distance and can probably put you on some hogs as well.
You need a better suppressor, my tbac affects my poi .5 moa maybe..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
I just picked up my SR3 with remington feed lip and a triggertech.

I'm looking at bottom metal, I would like a detachable magazine that sits flush. What do you guys recommend? I see that Hawkings is popular but dont see a detachable option.

AceRifles

FNG

I'm looking at bottom metal, I would like a detachable magazine that sits flush. What do you guys recommend? I see that Hawkings is popular but dont see a detachable option.
HS Precision is about the only one that has a flush fit detach mag. I would do something like a hawkins or seekins with the Accurate Mags and be done with it.

WKR
I'd go stainless barreled 7mm Remington, probably a Hawk Hill, Bart or Benchmark. I'd cut it at 21" and run a TBAC suppressor on it. Velocity is over rated and that would get you enough for 1000 easy with the right bullets. And longer throat life, less recoil, less money.

Deviant action $900
Hawk Hill barrel $380
Gunsmith install barrel and threading $450
TT trigger $250
Bottom metal $200
McMillan or other $650
Total $2830 or so.

I'd probably actually go 8 twisted 280 Remington.

Curtis customs makes a nice looking lower profile 3 round mag.

Big Ern

WKR
TriggerTech Diamond trigger all the way. It is that good. Worth the $$ in my opinion.

Also, unless you have the skill and equipment, make sure you budget (time and $$) for a good gunsmith to put that thing together. It would be a shame to get all those high end parts and have it shoot like crap. LRI, Spartan, Jon Beanland, and a bunch of others can put together a fine weapon for you.

Good luck with the build.

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
I've decided on 7mm rem mag. I just got my sr3 with Remington feed lip and a trigger. I'm gonna go 24" so if I can shoot with or without my can. I'm also fixing to put a new shorter can in jail, probably a ultra 5 or maybe wait for the new 6" one.

I want to order my stock and need to figure out my inlet for bottom metal.

I really like that curtis but it's out of stock.

My options for inletting on the stock are :
Remington bdl
Badger m5
Hs precision dm
Hawkins bdl
Hawkins m5

BAKPAKR

WKR
I just got the Hawkins Precision M5 Oberndorf Bottom Metal. My stock has not arrived yet so I can’t say how well it works or fits but it is certainly a nice looking and well-machined piece of metal.

Big Ern

WKR
Just replaced my 6.5CM krieger barrel with a Proof sendero light. Got about 2400 rounds through it before it started opening up.

WKR
Got the Hawkins M5 also waiting on a barreled action to get done, short action. Looks nice. You have to figure where your balance point will be. Betting that Hawkins BDL would be a nice unit.

AceRifles

FNG
I've done a ton of Bighorn / Zermatt actions. I use the Hawkins m5 in 99% of them. They just released the new M5 BDL setup that I will try here soon too.

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
Correct me if Im wrong but I'm going with the Hawkins BDL. I don't think the hawkins m5 would benefit me as i don't have a wyatts box cut.

For my twist rate, If I'm planning on shooting 162-180 should I go 1 in 9 or 8.4?