Help with first LR hunting build

jclonts

FNG
I've decided that I want to build my first rifle and I need some info and opinions. Rifle is going to be a hunting rig mostly for deer, goats, sheep, elk but I want to be able to target shoot it up to 1000. Preferably between 8-9 lbs scoped.

I'm 90% decided on the following.

28 Nosler (currently shooting a 7mm RM)

Bighorn Sr3 DLC coated, long action, magnum bolt head, feed lip, trim tang (is this the right combo?)

Proof Research sendero CF prefit shouldered barrel 26" (not sure between sendero and sendero light) I think its 1-8.5

Jewell trigger Rem 700/722 40x right hand safety (With bolt release?)

AG composites AG carbon all terrain (I'll probably call them to make sure I get the right cuts)

Should come it around 3k before scope.

Am I missing anything?

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
I guess I should include that I didn't take a shot at a 370s" DIY public land MT elk 4 years ago at 550 yards and it has bothered me since. I tried to get closer but he was the only one that wasn't there when I got within 400 of the group (I did harvest a nice 340 6x6 a week later on the last day of season). Up to this moment I had not shot at a game animal over 400. Since then i've been practicing since up to 500 on my farm and it has paid off. Last fall I made my longest shot on to date, a perfect 477 yard shot on an Aoudad that made it less than 20 ft.

WRO

WKR
I'd stay away from the 28, a lot of builders have stopped building them because the barrel life is shit.

I'd 30 nosler, 300 rum, 300 Norma, 300 PRC, or 30-28 nosler.

Besides that big 30s just kill better..

I'd go with a triggertech over a jewel for a hunting rifle.

Proof sendero lights are great, (I own a couple) I'd go 1 in 9 for big heavies..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
i'd second the trigger tech. i like their primary for a hunting trigger

CorbLand

WKR
I will echo what others have said. The 28 Nos is sweet when it comes to ballistics but damn, its hard on barrels. I cant say it would be my first choice.

If 500 yards is as far as you plan to shoot at animals, your 7 would do the job without blinking. I don't really buy into the 30 cal kills better than anything else but it is hard to argue with the fact that any 30 cal magnum is a solid choice.

If your 7 shots, you could probably change a couple simple things and get yourself a 700-800 yard gun.

I just got my first 28 nosler in a browning and its certainly accurate! I dont shoot a huge amount so barrel life doesnt bother me. I personally dont care for anything larger than a 7mm bore. Get a triggertech trigger for sure. This trigger is "next level"

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
My current gun isn't worth anymore upgrades. I almost bought a Bergara premium highlander when the gear deals forum had them for $1360, and maybe I should have but I really want to do one myself.

I think a .30 might be a little much as i want to keep it somewhat light and don't like muzzlebreaks. I shoot around 200-300 rounds a year from my primary hunting rifle. Realistically how much shorter barrel life are we talking? compared to a 7mm rem mag and .300 prc. I really haven't liked .300 win mag and prefer a flatter shooting round. I want to be at 3000 ft/sec and a bullet 160-180gr. I current am shooting factory 164 eldx. If my hunts didn't require so much hiking I would build a heavier .300 prc.

I thought about triggertech, but i really enjoyed a friends jewel, ill give triggertech another look.

I need to make up my mind and get my action on order to get this process started.

tdhanses

WKR
My current gun isn't worth anymore upgrades. I almost bought a Bergara premium highlander when the gear deals forum had them for $1360, and maybe I should have but I really want to do one myself.

I think a .30 might be a little much as i want to keep it somewhat light and don't like muzzlebreaks. I shoot around 200-300 rounds a year from my primary hunting rifle. Realistically how much shorter barrel life are we talking? compared to a 7mm rem mag and .300 prc. I really haven't liked .300 win mag and prefer a flatter shooting round. I want to be at 3000 ft/sec and a bullet 160-180gr. I current am shooting factory 164 eldx. If my hunts didn't require so much hiking I would build a heavier .300 prc.

I thought about triggertech, but i really enjoyed a friends jewel, ill give triggertech another look.

I need to make up my mind and get my action on order to get this process started.

People have shot them out in 600rds from what I’ve read.

Unless you get some deals I think you'll creep up towards $3500 pretty quick on cost for bare rifle. Are you doing your own bedding? Do you have the tools to torque a prefit on?
Sr3- $1250
Proof Prefit- $940
Triggertech- $150ish, can go higher for the diamond
Stock- $575 but probably more by the time it's configured
Hawkins bottom metal- $167
Wyatt box/spring/follower- $67
Total- $3149 before you get to bedding and including tax, shipping, tools to torque barrel on etc.

Your specs sound very nice. I'd google jewell trigger failures so you know why people are telling you to avoid them on a hunting rifle. I think a lot of folks get the perception that if you buy an expensive action, barrel, and stock, in a magnum with high BC bullets that they now have a "Long Range" rifle. IMO at 8-9# all up most wont get a ton more out of a custom $3500 28 Nosler than a decent $700 factory 7RM unless the factory stock makes it hard to control recoil. The things that are going to make it good at longer ranges are recoil management and follow through. Neither of which are easy with an unbraked sub 9# rifle burning well over 80 grains of powder. You are not going to spot your impacts with that setup. That said, I think you can get to where you would feel comfortable taking the shot you mentioned in your second post. Keep in mind winds in the mountains can be pretty tricky with the changes in elevation compared to what us flatlanders learn in practice around home. I would bet the rifle based on your specs ends up around 7# bare.

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
Unless you get some deals I think you'll creep up towards $3500 pretty quick on cost for bare rifle. Are you doing your own bedding? Do you have the tools to torque a prefit on?
Sr3- $1250
Proof Prefit- $940
Triggertech- $150ish, can go higher for the diamond
Stock- $575 but probably more by the time it's configured
Hawkins bottom metal- $167
Wyatt box/spring/follower- $67
Total- $3149 before you get to bedding and including tax, shipping, tools to torque barrel on etc.

Your specs sound very nice. I'd google jewell trigger failures so you know why people are telling you to avoid them on a hunting rifle. I think a lot of folks get the perception that if you buy an expensive action, barrel, and stock, in a magnum with high BC bullets that they now have a "Long Range" rifle. IMO at 8-9# all up most wont get a ton more out of a custom $3500 28 Nosler than a decent $700 factory 7RM unless the factory stock makes it hard to control recoil. The things that are going to make it good at longer ranges are recoil management and follow through. Neither of which are easy with an unbraked sub 9# rifle burning well over 80 grains of powder. You are not going to spot your impacts with that setup. That said, I think you can get to where you would feel comfortable taking the shot you mentioned in your second post. Keep in mind winds in the mountains can be pretty tricky with the changes in elevation compared to what us flatlanders learn in practice around home. I would bet the rifle based on your specs ends up around 7# bare.

I agree with everything you said. Maybe I should just stick with 7mm rm. I just thought id try something a little faster. I'm set on building my own from action up. I have a couple of rifles I shoot here and this would primarly be for my 2-3 trips out west and AK each year.

WRO

WKR

Go shoot a 28 without a break, they're rude.

I much prefer my 300 Norma and my 300 rum to a 28, even a 338 Lapua for that matter.

I'd run a 7 with a can so you can still spot hits.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
OK i guess the general consensus is 28nolser is not the way to go. maybe ill go rem mag

No currently shooting factory PH eldx, I tried a bunch of the top factory offerings. I know that I'm skipping the most important step but will not be reloading for myself for at least 6 months.

I run my can on targets with my 7 but for hunting I leave it at home. One more thing to worry about and its stupid long

JigStick

WKR
2107F662-04BC-4B90-A099-73FE8472C90D.jpeg
Just to give you an idea here is a rifle I finished two months ago that comes in at 8lbs 3oz

manners carbon fiber EH4 stock
Proof lite sendero 1:10 twist 24in
Defiance XM Rebel Sheep port
Defiance XM bottom metal
Jewel trigger
Talley rings
Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44
ADmount scope caps

300wsm bugholes at 200yds
Got some 130g Berger VLDs over 3400fps for white tail. Getting great velocity on 168s and 180s

the XM length on the defiance action and mag box really maximizes case capacity for the VLD style bullets

Sadler

WKR
If you don’t reload look at unknownmunitions.com those guys will work up a load for you and then make the ammo for you for damn near factory prices. That’s what I’m doing as soon as my rifle is finished. And I think they’re going to be a Rokslide sponsor soon.

JigStick

WKR
Cartridges are like ice cream. Hundreds of flavors. I’ve dabbled with Sammi and wild cat chambering for years. It’s always fun to try the new flavors. But in my expierence I always end up back to the tried and true. All of the Nosler chamberings were finicky to tune for me. The 300wsm is easy as pie, accurate, delivers enough energy for anything in NA, and has plenty of factory ammo available.

do I still hunt with wildcats? Yep. But not nearly as much anymore.