Help with first LR hunting build

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
I now have my action, trigger, and hawkings bottom metal components. Just waiting on my stock.

I went with the proof sendero 1-8.4 twist. Thanks to Stockys for price matching optics planet even with a coupon code. I guess the shutdown is affecting optics planet because they said in stock and came back with a 6-9 weeks before shipping. Stockys got me one within the week.

Also James at Northland shooters suppy has been great at answering questions and shipping almost immediately.

I know I've asked alot of questions and don't really know what I'm doing. The more I learn the more I realize the depth of knowledge and time it takes to be a precision gunsmith.

Overall I've been impressed with how nice and easy to deal with everyone I've spoken to has been. The long range community seems like a great group of people.

I'll post some pictures of parts and assembly when my stock arrives.

JMDavies

WKR
Sound like I might be poking the bear here but wanted to chime in. I got pointed to the 28 after injuring my shoulder. Before the injury I was on the fence between a 300RUM and the 28. After shooting both, the 28 showed far less recoil. I have both a Christensen and custom built chambered in 28. I've had the Christensen for 6 years and have no idea how many rounds I've put down it, but its much more than 600. The custom is sitting around 400 rounds. According to the gunsmith that built my custom, both barrels are showing no sign of distress. Both of these rifle are very accurate and that hasn't changed in either of them. I'd stick with the 28 but go to Trigger Tech.

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
My current build for long range is a simple 284 win shooting bergers hornady 180 edlx at 2785. It's got a good barrel life and is very capable to a 1000 and past that if need be. Dont get so caught up in the latest and greatest I love new rounds but the older calibers have proved themselves time and time again. My most recent build is a 20in 300wsm for a lightweight compact brush/long range gun still waiting on the barrel.

rootacres

WKR
I've decided that I want to build my first rifle and I need some info and opinions. Rifle is going to be a hunting rig mostly for deer, goats, sheep, elk but I want to be able to target shoot it up to 1000. Preferably between 8-9 lbs scoped.

I'm 90% decided on the following.

28 Nosler (currently shooting a 7mm RM)

Bighorn Sr3 DLC coated, long action, magnum bolt head, feed lip, trim tang (is this the right combo?)

Proof Research sendero CF prefit shouldered barrel 26" (not sure between sendero and sendero light) I think its 1-8.5

Jewell trigger Rem 700/722 40x right hand safety (With bolt release?)

AG composites AG carbon all terrain (I'll probably call them to make sure I get the right cuts)

Should come it around 3k before scope.

Am I missing anything?

Looks good to me. I too found myself doing the same thing recently. I ended going with a SA Bighorn to rip a 7mm WSM. Proof barrels are badass, I just don't have a ton of options for good bolt gun smiths around me. So I went with a 22" finished McGowen barrel, I didn't want to wait for a carbon6.

The only thing I would throw in there for you to maybe check out is the Axial Precision stocks. They are just 24oz, negative comb, hybrid grip, and their customer service is phenomenal. Damon has called me twice since I ordered just to make sure they had the correct notes and barrel contour.

OP
J

jclonts

FNG
I finally got my stock from ag last weekend. Everything is looking pretty good except the bottom metal isn't flush. Has anyone had this problem? The stock was ordered with inleting for Hawkins bdl and that's what I have. 13218.jpegKIMG0922.JPGKIMG0924.JPG

Good choice on the 7Rm.. For a hunting gun it is a huge advantage to shoot a caliber that is readily available. Basically every sporting goods store will carry ammo for it and if you get in a pinch you will still be able to hunt.