Help With Guided Hunt For My Father

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
My Dad is in his mid 50s and has been hunting elk for 25 years. He has always hunted Eastern Washington and has only ever harvested spike bulls and cows. He has been saving up for years to do a guided hunt out of state for a nice bull elk. He has finally reached enough money to finally start planning.

Does anyone have any guide and/or state recommendations for the type of hunt below?
-He wants the traditional horseback trip
-Must be a rifle hunt
-I would like him to harvest a respectable 6 point bull (+/-300")
-Preferably a 2x1 (my dad and I) guide setup
-He does not have ANY points in any states
-Would like to keep the trip under $10k per person

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Budget? What's a respectable bull? Points anywhere?

If you provide more specifics, you'll get a better response hopefully.

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize and will add this info to the initial post.

He has ZERO points. Would like to keep the trip under $10k. He has never shot a branched antler bull so even a small 6 point would be fine. Maybe 300"?

Assuming that means $10,000 for two guided hunts, you're going to be limited a bit on outfitters.

The better outfitted hunts Im familiar with are closer to $6000-7000.

You could look at central Idaho wilderness and probably make it in the budget because the hunts aren't that good in terms of animal quantity or quality. I'd say most of their hunters that take bulls aren't shooting even 300" bulls. The scenery is great and it's a classic backcountry hunt. If you can find an outfitter in a non-wilderness area in the frontcountry for your budget that does pack in hunts that would be a better option really.

Look at Montana, Colorado. There's got to be some hunts around $5000 each but you're going to have to make sure the outfitter is good because you're not paying for the best. You're out on Wyoming without points unless you want to wait a few years. You could try a lesser private ranch but that's not very much horseback hunting.

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
The $10k price was per hunter. I am mostly looking for my father. I may or may not hunt but will for sure be with him either way.

Thank you for the responses everyone!

Jon Boy

WKR
Have him buy a Wyoming point this year. He might be able to draw a general tag in the special category. It might take 2 points now though. But if he wants a true blue horseback wilderness hunt with good odds of success, Wyoming is where it's at. Montana you'll be better off on private land. Idaho, might be a slightly better bet for back country horseback type hunt than mt. Neither compare to Wyoming in easy to draw or general type hunts in my experience

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You're in business then. In Idaho I'd look at places where you can get an outfitter allocated tag. In other states I'd look for landowner tags or any tags that will get you out of general tags.

Have him buy a Wyoming point this year. He might be able to draw a general tag in the special category. It might take 2 points now though. But if he wants a true blue horseback wilderness hunt with good odds of success, Wyoming is where it's at. Montana you'll be better off on private land. Idaho, might be a slightly better bet for back country horseback type hunt than mt. Neither compare to Wyoming in easy to draw or general type hunts in my experience

Waiting to draw in the Wyoming special is a great option also.

For an OTC hunt you'll really want to do homework to find a place where they're shooting good bulls consistently before dropping your money but you could afford the best OTC hunts as well.

Labdad

FNG
A true horseback wilderness elk hunt is the way to go IMHO.
Nothing like falling to sleep with hobbled horses feeding outside camp with bells on and bulls bugling on ridges.....

I second buying Wyoming points and waiting untill you can draw a decent tag.

Jon Boy

WKR
Just looked up the odds. 98% odds with 1 point in the special drawing. The cost of the tag eats up some budget but you should still have plenty for guided hunt, travel, and tip. And as much research as I've done on general type hunts, Wyoming wilderness is real hard to beat

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
This is great info fellas! I guess i now need to buy GoHunt and get some points purchased. I have always wanted to hunt Wyoming and this may be the time. I appreciate the help!

If you were willing to go closer to 20k on just your dad take him hunting on deseret land and livestock in utah. It's where cam hanes, eva shockey, sitka guys etc hunt when in UT.

LaHunter

WKR
Just looked up the odds. 98% odds with 1 point in the special drawing. The cost of the tag eats up some budget but you should still have plenty for guided hunt, travel, and tip. And as much research as I've done on general type hunts, Wyoming wilderness is real hard to beat

I believe those are the 2018 odds. The 2019 odds with 1 point were about 17% I think.

@fulldraw

FNG
Look in to landowner tags in NM. I’m not sure what the going rate for a unit wide landowner tag is though.

Most outfitters seem to run 4500-6000 range, so that would leave you 5500-4K for a land owner tag. You can definitely have opportunities on Bulls 300” +

I would also apply for NM next year since they don’t have a point system

Labdad

FNG
I hunted the Gila before the rest of America heard of it. It is an awesome place. And a beauty all it's own.

Saw lots of bears too including a beautiful cinnamon that I would had shot in a heartbeat if the season ran concurrent and I had a tag...

It was also my first time using mules . As a horseman I immediately became a fan of mules. And given a choice, would always take a good mule over a horse in the mountains!

NM is another good choice. But the hunts can be short. 5 days IIRC. Things may have changed. I hunted the Gila late 80s or so.

stonewall

WKR
i think you can still apply in idaho for LE. I'm unfamiliar with the state honestly, but at this point that's probably the only draw, non-otc option. you might check with outfitters and see if you can draw a decent tag.

another option is a landowner tag somewhere, as already mentioned.

third - buy a point for wyoming (think that opens july-oct to buy point only) - put in for special next year (you may or may not draw with that 1 point). then wilderness hunt with outfitter (this may be cheaper than the landowner tag option, but you may end up waiting two years)

You won't draw next year with 1 point even in the special. Or at least the odds are bad enough I'd not bet on it.

Odds are 18% and a lot of guys are cashing out points so expect 2 points to go under 50% next year.

Plenty of okay landowner tags in New Mexico that are pretty decent hunts for 5-6k.

Not sure if you agree with the landowner unit wide tag system. I have reservations.. but it's there for sure.

i think you can still apply in idaho for LE. I'm unfamiliar with the state honestly, but at this point that's probably the only draw, non-otc option. you might check with outfitters and see if you can draw a decent tag.

another option is a landowner tag somewhere, as already mentioned.

third - buy a point for wyoming (think that opens july-oct to buy point only) - put in for special next year (you may or may not draw with that 1 point). then wilderness hunt with outfitter (this may be cheaper than the landowner tag option, but you may end up waiting two years)

It's really low odds to draw any good Idaho tags as a nonresident. But, buying an outfitter allocated tag can get you in the game for a good hunt and that should be in play for $10,000. Might be hard to find them for this year but next year would be a possibility.

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
We are still looking a couple years out but i wanted to start figuring out states and outfitters before its too late.

From what I have been reading and hearing from people, I may start buying points for him and I in Wyoming. That sounds like it will fit the bill for the type of hunt he is dreaming of. All of your input has been helpful and greatly appreciated!