Help with Kifaru for bow hunting

I am new to the game of back pack hunting and could use some help getting a good setup. I need to carry enough gear for a 2-3 day hunt with a spotting scope/tripod and also want to strap My bow to the pack firmly. What bag set up do you favor?
Thanks

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Reckoning with OGL. Add a couple pouches if you need and it's a very versatile setup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I use a cavern or crater (whichever is smaller) and it works really well with a bow on the backside of the pack. There is a spotting scope pocket built in on one side. I hook the tripod in the compression straps next to the spotting scope pocket. To hook the bow on there is a loop on the bottom portion of the bag. I put my cam in the loop and then use the compression straps within the middle of the bag to hold my bow to the bag. It is a super tight and secure fit. The bag itself can hold supplies to camp for around a week if you pack really well. Add some pockets and you could stretch it even longer.

NEhunter

WKR
I use a cavern or crater (whichever is smaller) and it works really well with a bow on the backside of the pack. There is a spotting scope pocket built in on one side. I hook the tripod in the compression straps next to the spotting scope pocket. To hook the bow on there is a loop on the bottom portion of the bag. I put my cam in the loop and then use the compression straps within the middle of the bag to hold my bow to the bag. It is a super tight and secure fit. The bag itself can hold supplies to camp for around a week if you pack really well. Add some pockets and you could stretch it even longer.

Just bought a cavern myself. Should be here tomorrow. I really liked the ability to strap a bow to the back and still access the zip on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I would think the 22 mag or the nomad would fit the bill. Both are great for spotting scopes and tripods. Nomad is one of the best for hauling meat too (in my opinion).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
The Reckoning is an excellent pack for 2-3 day trips (or more) and works exceptionally well without the lid as a day pack. I actually use the lid as an organizer pouch inside the bag when in day pack mode. It works great with a grab-it, and I STRONGLY recommend the Montana Bow Sling to use with this pack while hunting. If you get the MBS, let me know and I will show you how I set it up on my Reckoning, it works perfectly, although for packing in I still use the grab-it to strap the bow to the pack. I also have an AMR but I don't like it as a day pack because it is so big and I haven't figured out how to run it without the lid. If the side pockets on the Reckoning were redesigned I'd say it was the perfect all-around pack, but even as is it is the best I've ever tried.

I really didn't like the nomad at all (major PIA and inefficient loading bone-in elk quarters with even some gear, the MR Crew Cab is a far better design) and there is no way I could get all my necessities in a 22 mag or woodsman for 2-3 days. The absolute minimum I'd recommend is 5000 CI.

Last edited:

Mudd Foot

WKR
Presently have a Cavern and Reckoning. Previously a Highcamp 4800 and Woodsman. IMO I've learned that I prefer the ability to have pack expand in size if needed. More room means more options in my case, as both the Cavern and Reckoning pack down very tightly in day mode. The multiple compression straps paired with web management makes for expansion simplicity.

There's a Kifaru Wishlist thread under the backpack forum. If pressed I'd say a Cavern with full side zip.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, the nomad is not the most efficient day pack, but it works. And, ive found it great for packing deer, elk, and antelope. 3 horizontal straps, 2 vertical, plus 2 more vertical if you add a grab it. Maybe the newer designed nomads are better? Don't know. I've packed for up to 6 days with the nomad and a dry sack. Haven't tried it with the 22 mag, but it should be doable if strapping some gear outside or between pack and frame. All of the packs listed here will work, just different people prefer different packs. OP really can't go wrong with any of the suggestions here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If I run my quilt off the bottom of the 22 mag, I can get three days out of it with a custom pocket pods8 made me for the pals matrix on the lid flap. It will hod 5 days of food. Great design and works great. This setup actually works pretty well for September elk hunts because I had him make me a meat shelf that fits all Kifaru bags that had a common loop on them. My thinking was to have a bag that one I dropped camp, was good fro day hunting and this fits the bill. Plus allows me to bring a quarter out first trip with camp.

But, then I saw a DT2 here for sale cheap and bought it. It is slightly bigger then 5000 CI. I can put all my camp and food in it for a 3-5 day hunt. It all fits EASILY. I can strap my tent to the sleeping bag compartment with it's bottom compression straps and get 7-10 days if I wanted. I might could get it all in the bag but, I've never truly packed that much food in to see. I hope to have to do that one day because it'd mean I was on going to Alaska or some other similar place. (y)

I used to scoof at the idea of big bags for a day hunter. But, they way they cinch down, and allow you the flexibility to spike or bivy hunt away from base camp, plus use as a compatible day hunter, if you are only buying one bag, buy big. Then get you a 22 mag or have pods8 make you a custom bag for your day hunts.

Good luck and God Bless

amp713

WKR
No one else seems to be throwing it out there but look at a muskeg. A 5k will compress well for 3 days but give you room to grow if you go longer especially if adding a lid and a pocket or 2. The 2800 would probably work perfect for 3 day trips if thats all you will be doing for the foreseeable future. Dont count out older set ups like the highcamp 4800 or nomad systems.

Also look into the eastern ruck, a bag you could use for tons of stuff then attach to a frame and have a meat shelf if you are packing out meat, this gives you the chance to double up on uses.

The Cavern/Crater layout is ideal as a dedicated archery bag. It puts your optics pocket and access zipper off to the side, which means you can get into the bag and pocket without taking the bow off the pack.

skierhs

WKR
I like the mountain warrior. It’s held up great for the last 4 years through plenty of archery hunts. It’s still my go to bag after trying other out

OP
shooterrdy
Thanks for all the great replies, id been looking at a 14r with a scope pocketc and one pocket on the other side. Now Im thinking about a woodsman or cavern on a frame.

jspradley

WKR
Thanks for all the great replies, id been looking at a 14r with a scope pocketc and one pocket on the other side. Now Im thinking about a woodsman or cavern on a frame.

I can't imagine you would be disappointed, the external frame is really the way to go IMO.

Hell, if you end up not liking it you can sell it for just as much as you paid for it lol

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

If you plan on killing something and packing it out with you, you'll want a frame and pack. The 14r is great but it's not designed to carry your 3 day camp and a boned out deer. Remember that if you are backpacking for 3 days or 10 days, the only thing that'll probably change is the amount of food you bring.
I'd go for the Lite or UL frame with a bag that is at least 3k.

When you secure your bow to the backside of the Cavern as you describe, do you have any added pockets running up the backside underneath it, between the bag and the bow? Does that cause any issues?

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I have a medium belt pouch mounted high on the bag. It hasn't been an issue at all. I think if it were mounted in the middle near the sight/rest/quiver connection it may put some additional pressure on the bow, but otherwise I haven't had any issues.