Help with Kifaru X-Ray fitting

ryandr

FNG
Hey all,

I got a X-ray in the winter and am loving it so far. But I'm trying to tune it just right. I use this mostly as a day bag. I haven't weighed my max weight but anywhere from 10-25lbs. First of all how does the fit look from the pictures? It seems like it's sitting kinda low, but if I tighten the shoulder straps anymore, then the weight shifts onto my shoulders instead of my hips.

My problems are the lumbar pad seems too big and pushes my lower back inwards, arching my back slightly and pushing the backpack out. In that situation, there is a seemingly larger than normal gab between my back and the backpack between my lower and upper back. I can't seem to properly size the aluminum stays in conjunction with the lumbar pad. The bend in the stays with the lumbar pad, just creates extra push into my lower back. I've been wearing it with the lumbar pad taken out. Anybody have a slimmer lumbar pad insert option? Also the next size down belt seems like it could fit better on me as well.

Also is it even worth it to have the stays and lumbar pad for low weights? For example, I'm going a 12-15mile hike soon where all I'll be bringing is the "10 hiking essentials".

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4316.jpg

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you have the hipbelt a bit low, however the xray does ride low. It’s designed as an assault pack to carry basically the essentials and ammo. The hip belt should be just below your belly button And more or less centered on or slightly above your illiac crest

oldhorse

WKR
Mel Terkla, a former Kifaru employee, did a couple of videos on proper adjustment of the Xray pack. I'm pretty sure you can still find them on YouTube. I found them helpful

XMP

FNG
You can also remove the lumbar pad entirely or put a smaller piece of foam inside. The Gen 1 XRAY is still popular on the used market because it doesn't have the big lumbar pad like the newer ones do.

Although I use the XRay regularly, my fitting advice isn't really relevant, because I think it works best without a belt entirely. So I haven't used the belt with any of mine in years.