Help with Kuiu setup for September elk hunt

Curious about why the pass on softshell? I bought the axis jacket for my first elk hunt kit this year. I could still return it and go a different route.
TIA
The OP was concerned about unnecessary weight so I tailored my response to that. I did miss the Peloton 240 option.

The soft shell is technically not needed. With rain gear, you already have protection from moisture and also from wind. But if it's not raining, I don't want to wear my rain gear and busting brush; don't want to risk getting a tear.

I personally like soft shells and use them for some hunts. For example, I will always take one on late Coues hunts. It mostly gets worn while glassing and there's a cool/cold breeze. I could use my Peloton 240 but I hate dealing with snags and burrs. Did take my Axis to Kodiak and that wound up being a waste of weight and pack space. It was too bulky despite it handling the rain and wind very well; I'd have been better off bringing my Peloton 240. Now if I was hunting coastal brown bear in the rivers my Axis wound have been money.

As far as your Axis, what was the reason(s) you picked it up? I'd revisit that and go from there. Are you going to have a regular camp or is camp on your back?

jlively

Lil-Rokslider
The OP was concerned about unnecessary weight so I tailored my response to that. I did miss the Peloton 240 option.

The soft shell is technically not needed. With rain gear, you already have protection from moisture and also from wind. But if it's not raining, I don't want to wear my rain gear and busting brush; don't want to risk getting a tear.

I personally like soft shells and use them for some hunts. For example, I will always take one on late Coues hunts. It mostly gets worn while glassing and there's a cool/cold breeze. I could use my Peloton 240 but I hate dealing with snags and burrs. Did take my Axis to Kodiak and that wound up being a waste of weight and pack space. It was too bulky despite it handling the rain and wind very well; I'd have been better off bringing my Peloton 240. Now if I was hunting coastal brown bear in the rivers my Axis wound have been money.

As far as your Axis, what was the reason(s) you picked it up? I'd revisit that and go from there. Are you going to have a regular camp or is camp on your back?
I'm building my first elk hunt kit. Building points in CO so probably going OTC, preferably archery. Most likely by myself, planning to carry as much with me as possible to stay mobile and get as far in as I can to avoid as much hunting pressure as I can.

Picked up the attack pants and axis jacket as my first pieces. Found a used super down pro hooded jacket. Right now I have the strong fleece 260, 125 merino tshirt in my kuiu cart as my next purchases.

I have a lightweight packable rain set from cabelas. It definitely won't stand up to brush, etc to wear hiking. I thought the axis would be a good option as an extra warmth layer that would withstand the brush.

Open to any suggestions from experienced guys as I am a total newbie.

I'm building my first elk hunt kit. Building points in CO so probably going OTC, preferably archery. Most likely by myself, planning to carry as much with me as possible to stay mobile and get as far in as I can to avoid as much hunting pressure as I can.

Picked up the attack pants and axis jacket as my first pieces. Found a used super down pro hooded jacket. Right now I have the strong fleece 260, 125 merino tshirt in my kuiu cart as my next purchases.

I have a lightweight packable rain set from cabelas. It definitely won't stand up to brush, etc to wear hiking. I thought the axis would be a good option as an extra warmth layer that would withstand the brush.

Open to any suggestions from experienced guys as I am a total newbie.
You're off to a great start.

Your pants, insulation layers (Super Down Pro and StrongFleece 260), and shirt will serve you well. You're well setup to cover a range of temperatures. Unless the forecast is for a lot of rain, your current rain gear should suffice.

People tend to get warm while moving so wearing the Axis while "on the go" may be too much.

Do you have your other gear dialed in? I ask since most of us have a budget. You're in pretty good shape on clothes. But what about sleeping bag, pad, boots, pack, etc? Once your pack is fully loaded for your hunt, how much space is available and what's the total weight? Will your Axis fit in it?

jlively

Lil-Rokslider
You're off to a great start.

Your pants, insulation layers (Super Down Pro and StrongFleece 260), and shirt will serve you well. You're well setup to cover a range of temperatures. Unless the forecast is for a lot of rain, your current rain gear should suffice.

People tend to get warm while moving so wearing the Axis while "on the go" may be too much.

Do you have your other gear dialed in? I ask since most of us have a budget. You're in pretty good shape on clothes. But what about sleeping bag, pad, boots, pack, etc? Once your pack is fully loaded for your hunt, how much space is available and what's the total weight? Will your Axis fit in it?
Pretty much starting from scratch. Hunt MI white tails from a tree stand, so mobility/camping stuff wasn't necessary. What I have for my bow and rifle will be sufficient for now until I learn more. I have quality optics (Swaro 10x42) and decent Danner boots, Kuiu Yukon gaiters. I picked up a Klymit insulated pad, Jetboil Minimo, a few other odds and ends.
I went with the KUIU pro 6000 pack system.
I've been watching Ebay, here, marketplace, Black Ovis, GoHunt, etc for:
  • Western Mountaineering bag
  • Seek outside Eolus or cimmarron
  • Trekking poles (sissy stix probably)
I'm open to other budget friendly options. I don't want to go cheap on anything important, but definitely trying to save where I can. Been watching Gritty Bowman and Aron Snyder stuff to get ideas about what's important, then reading the forums here.

Pretty much starting from scratch. Hunt MI white tails from a tree stand, so mobility/camping stuff wasn't necessary. What I have for my bow and rifle will be sufficient for now until I learn more. I have quality optics (Swaro 10x42) and decent Danner boots, Kuiu Yukon gaiters. I picked up a Klymit insulated pad, Jetboil Minimo, a few other odds and ends.
I went with the KUIU pro 6000 pack system.
I've been watching Ebay, here, marketplace, Black Ovis, GoHunt, etc for:
  • Western Mountaineering bag
  • Seek outside Eolus or cimmarron
  • Trekking poles (sissy stix probably)
I'm open to other budget friendly options. I don't want to go cheap on anything important, but definitely trying to save where I can. Been watching Gritty Bowman and Aron Snyder stuff to get ideas about what's important, then reading the forums here.
Which Danner boots? If Pronghorn, look for a boot better suited to hunting in the mountains. I used Pronghorns and they didn't provide the required traction; I fell a lot so I went with Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Lots of good boot options out there.

Trekking poles don't need to be high dollar. I regularly use budget friendly CamoFire or Black Diamond trekking poles; my Lekis are for big hunts such as sheep or mountain goat hunting.

jlively

Lil-Rokslider
Which Danner boots? If Pronghorn, look for a boot better suited to hunting in the mountains. I used Pronghorns and they didn't provide the required traction; I fell a lot so I went with Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Lots of good boot options out there.

Trekking poles don't need to be high dollar. I regularly use budget friendly CamoFire or Black Diamond trekking poles; my Lekis are for big hunts such as sheep or mountain goat hunting.
I've seen those on camofire. I'll pick some up.
Any advice on sleeping bags/tents?

I've seen those on camofire. I'll pick some up.
Any advice on sleeping bags/tents?
Will let others chime in on tents.

Am a firm believer in having a high quality bag. While I’m partial to WM, there are other manufacturers that are well regarded. These include Feathered Friends, Stone Glacier, Kuiu. Take a look at other threads for additional information.

Do spend the money on a pad with a high R value. I run an XTherm but there are others that are highly recommended. Can get a list of those by searching other threads.

landrun

FNG
For your sleeping bag, not sure if you're a back or side/stomach sleeper, but IMO a quilt is much more comfortable for side/stomach.

Chaseum

FNG
Kuiu gear is great but I would be hesitant to purchase their ultralight. I have both the regular and ultralight. With the regular I climbed partially up a tree during moose season without issues.
I used the ultralight on a 2 day fishing
/dip net trip and completely blew the bottoms out by sitting on the ground for part of the time.
Kuiu did nothing thing for the warranty despite me spending >2500 in gear the previous year or so I stopped sending them my money for gear.

Additionally, their gaiters were good despite me pulling a button out.

ShreckIII

FNG
I don't know if I'm too late to this thread or not but here's what I found I use everyday. Side note, I have mostly kuiu because it fits and is comfortable for me, tried other stuff but kuiu has always fit the best. Pants: I wear kutana and the pro's, attacks were ok but they don't hold up in brush from what I've found. Tops: merino short sleeve, 145 zip t, and 200 merino hoody, or 125 ls, and 200 merino hoody. Mid/insulation layer: kutana 3DeFX jacket, which they no longer carry and I don't know why. This is my favorite piece of hunting clothing I have, and in my opinion, an absolute must have over any other kuiu mid layer. Rain gear: I don't really carry any. If it's been raining the night before I'll wear pants just to keep my bottoms dry but other than that I might take a poncho and get under a spruce tree until it stops, unless it's a lightening storm then I run. Haha. Rain gear is good to have though if you have a spike camp because you can wear it over your insulation and stay extremely warm. I use my military issued Rain gear when I do take it, price was right.

I would look other places for true insulation type puffys. Down is great and light and compresses but it is susceptible to getting wet and not keeping you warm. Try military surplus on ebay like beyond clothing or wild things gear. They use apex climashield and it's good stuff and you can get it a whole lot cheaper! It is heavier and bulkier but I prefer to have my insulation keep me warm no matter what.

Boots: I've been wearing Danner mountain light hiker II's for 25 years. They're still hand made in Oregon, plus you can send them back and have them rebuilt if you wear them out. I sent mine back about three years ago and it's like I bought new ones but for half the price.

I've probably rambled enough, good luck.