Help with layering please? NY | VT | ME (North East)

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
My goal is to be able to head into the forest for a week max by myself or with a buddy bow hunting. Kuiu is preferable for me, I enjoy their products and I'm looking for zip off base layers where it makes sense. I'm 5'11 (probably more like 10 now :( ) and I weight 223 lbs. I've linked the historic weather in Vermont for reference.
  • I plan on doing a fair bit of climbing and hiking, lots of movement when required.
  • I'm trying to stay as light as I can.
  • I sweat like a beast of burden.
  • The base layers I'm used to are the military issued silkies and waffle layers. I hate them and overheat often.
  • I will go with the attack pant unless someone has any decent objections.
I've been thinking about this
Weather.JPG

What I was thinking

Base Layer:

Bottom: Ultra Merino 145 Zip Off
Top: Ultra Merino 125 LS Crew

Mid Layer:

Bottom: Peleton 97 Zip Off
Top: Peleton 240 Full Zip (No Hood)

Insulating:
I have a black 800fp down puffy thats light and compresses. Would be for at camp at night.

Main:

Bottom: Attack Pants
Top: No clue. Would like something for heavy rain as it's prone to do in October.

My goal is to be able to head into the forest for a week max by myself or with a buddy bow hunting. Kuiu is preferable for me, I enjoy their products and I'm looking for zip off base layers where it makes sense. I'm 5'11 (probably more like 10 now :( ) and I weight 223 lbs. I've linked the historic weather in Vermont for reference.
  • I plan on doing a fair bit of climbing and hiking, lots of movement when required.
  • I'm trying to stay as light as I can.
  • I sweat like a beast of burden.
  • The base layers I'm used to are the military issued silkies and waffle layers. I hate them and overheat often.
  • I will go with the attack pant unless someone has any decent objections.
I've been thinking about this
View attachment 222221

What I was thinking

Base Layer:

Bottom: Ultra Merino 145 Zip Off
Top: Ultra Merino 125 LS Crew

Mid Layer:

Bottom: Peleton 97 Zip Off
Top: Peleton 240 Full Zip (No Hood)

Insulating:
I have a black 800fp down puffy thats light and compresses. Would be for at camp at night.

Main:

Bottom: Attack Pants
Top: No clue. Would like something for heavy rain as it's prone to do in October.

What is the Main category? I would say your setup is pretty solid but I would add a lightweight rain shell, swap those mid layer bottoms for puffy pants, and go to something more breathable than the 240 (no windstopper needed if you pack a rain shell). Those changes would set you up for a wider range of temps and save you some weight.

You say you overheat so I would opt for the most breathable fleece mid layer possible to bridge the gap for active use because you’ll likely sweat like a hog if you try to hike in the 240. I would recommend 100g fleece e.g. North Face TKA Glacier (or whatever Kuiu’s version is). If you were more cold natured I would suggest 200-250g fleece. Other than that your first pass is quite good.

Base layer + fleece + puffy + rain shell is the most versatile layering system there is and is employed across all of the backpacking disciplines.

Kuiu’s zip off base layer bottoms are amazing by the way.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Main category, i guess if I were still in the service would be blouse and trousers. Probably not the best category because hunting is more adaptive. There isnt really a uniform in hunting I guess.

So if I'm understanding you properly you recommend ditching the peleton jacket for something lighter since I have the puffy? I will say the black puffy I have feels more like a stationary/camp jacket. I use it for hiking in extreme cold with base and or mid layers but even in snow I sweat with it. I dont ever actually plan on using it, more of a light weight insurance card for piece of mind.

If I did need to wear something warm while hiking up difficult wooded terrain AND wearing that same top while stationary tucked into some thicket, would you still recommend dropping down? I'd have a dedicated rain top and bottom.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So if I'm understanding you properly you recommend ditching the peleton jacket for something lighter since I have the puffy?

The puffy is definitely a stationary piece and you're in good shape there. I don't see you being too cold with the clothing you proposed. The only situation I think you will not have an answer for is when your base layer alone is a little too chilly to hike in, but the 240 is too warm. The windstopper layer in the 240, while somewhat breathable, will still likely make it uncomfortable to hike in. You can shed almost half a pound of weight by going to a regular, non-bonded, non-windproof fleece, and that fleece will be far more comfortable and breathable when on the move so you don't overheat, but it will provide the same amount of warmth when layered up and stationary.

If the wind picks up, you can don your rain shell and have essentially the same features as the 240 with less weight and the option to "turn off" the windstopper layer when you need the breathability. This system also allows your rain shell to serve two purposes (windstopper and rain), which is always a good thing.