Help with Leupold VX-5HD Reticle

I am new to the forum, so sorry if this is not the correct spot to post this. I just got a new Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 280 AI and am now trying to decide on a scope. Due to budget, I have narrowed my decision down to the Leupold VX-5HD price point and specifically the 3-15x44. I am looking at the windplex, the boone and crockett, and the htmr reticles and am having some major difficulty deciding. I don't mind the second focal plane aspect of the scope for weight savings but just cannot decide what I should go with and am looking for input from those of you who have much more experience than me. I grew up shooting a leupold duplex reticle on an old remington 700 in 270 win. I am hesitant on the windplex for I worry the lines may be to thick for precision shooting but I may also be very wrong on this and the crosshairs will be much easier to see in low light. The Boone and crockett seems to give some thinner crosshairs (similar to the duplex) for precision shots when I am trying to test out a newly developed load and maybe this is an advantage of it. Then I go to the htmr (I have never used Mils) and am wondering if this gives the best of all worlds and I will just need to learn mils.

The rifle will be used primarily for hunting in South Texas; however, I plan on this being my everything rifle to be used on Alaska Carribou or Elk in New Mexico/Colorado back packing trips.

Thoughts and help with a decision would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Parker

Jnmullins

FNG
I just got the same scope you are looking at - VX5HD 3-15x44 with the HTMR reticle. Everything else I have is in MOA, but my view on it is that clicks are clicks and I can set a ballistics app to give me either one. I just received my CDS dial from Leupold, so my plan is dial for range and hold for wind using the reticle. The HTMR also gives me the option of holding for range if time doesn't allow dialing - I just need to finish up my range card and verify it.

I have 2 with the standard fire dot duplex but I just ordered a wind plex reticle for my 30 06. It’s not illuminated but thick enough to see right up to dark. It’s nice to have a MOA reference mark for long shots at full power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have experience with the 5hd but had a vx3i with wind Plex and it was not usable. The substentions were to close together at 1 moa. I don’t know how much better it would be at 44mm obj vs the 40 I had.

I have it with the fire dot duplex and love it. The CDS system is great, and I have a couple dials for different ammo. I'd go this route again for any future rifles that I put scopes on. Plus the customer service has been top notch for me.

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to the forum, so sorry if this is not the correct spot to post this. I just got a new Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 280 AI and am now trying to decide on a scope. Due to budget, I have narrowed my decision down to the Leupold VX-5HD price point and specifically the 3-15x44. I am looking at the windplex, the boone and crockett, and the htmr reticles and am having some major difficulty deciding. I don't mind the second focal plane aspect of the scope for weight savings but just cannot decide what I should go with and am looking for input from those of you who have much more experience than me. I grew up shooting a leupold duplex reticle on an old remington 700 in 270 win. I am hesitant on the windplex for I worry the lines may be to thick for precision shooting but I may also be very wrong on this and the crosshairs will be much easier to see in low light. The Boone and crockett seems to give some thinner crosshairs (similar to the duplex) for precision shots when I am trying to test out a newly developed load and maybe this is an advantage of it. Then I go to the htmr (I have never used Mils) and am wondering if this gives the best of all worlds and I will just need to learn mils.

The rifle will be used primarily for hunting in South Texas; however, I plan on this being my everything rifle to be used on Alaska Carribou or Elk in New Mexico/Colorado back packing trips.

Regards,
Parker

Regards,
Parker
I really like my duplex with fire dot. I only hunt Alaska. Taken 2 caribou with it. The illuminated dot is very fine, but highly visible

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
The HTMR reticle is definitely the nicest to look at with my eyes. If you plan to dial your shots than it really shouldn't matter that its Mil. Just get your load data and your good to go, especially if your going to use the CDS.