HELP with lightweight hunting rifle suggestions! 300WM

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure it's been beat to death, but I'm back and forth on this in my mind. I found a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300wm that I like a lot. BUT I have read so many mixed reviews its not even funny. I've also seen their customer service has gotten a lot better and they make things right. The problem is I don't want to buy a $2k gun and have to deal with headaches, ya know...

What do you suggest for the ideal hunting rifle?
I will use it for western hunts on Elk, mulies, and back home on whitetail and bear. I want a light rifle and it has to be chambered in 300 win mag, I like the cartridge and have everything to handload for a long time.

So I want;
-.300WM
-Accurate
-Lightweight
-Muzzle brake
-Stainless

I like Tikka but they are hard to find especially with a brake, I like Brownings new mountain pro but it's not even in production yet, Weatherby, Bergara, others around $2k???

Thanks for your time.

Bak222

FNG
If I were you, I’d try to find a tikka t3x lite stainless and have the barrel threaded for a brake. Or look for the veil option which comes with a threaded barrel. I’ve seen some in 300 WM. That’s what I want, but in 300 WSM, nowhere to be found.

JakeSCH

WKR
Depends on what you mean by "light weight". Is that 7lb or sub 6lb? CA's weigh a lot more than advertised, but that said my 300 WM is a Mesa Ti and it is fantastic...however still weights 7lb 4oz bare but shoots sub half MOA all day with handloads.

Honestly carrying a fully outfitted 8.5 lb 300 WM is not a bad thing at all, the little extra weight makes shooting it a dream.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve read mixed reviews with these. Do you have one?

I have a Kimber mountain ascent 300win mag. I’ve only had loaded for it but I’ve had great results, it shoots 200g accubonds into 1” groups pretty easily.

I’m working up some different loads for it but so far it’s going well.

OMB

WKR
I'm sure it's been beat to death, but I'm back and forth on this in my mind. I found a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300wm that I like a lot. BUT I have read so many mixed reviews its not even funny. I've also seen their customer service has gotten a lot better and they make things right. The problem is I don't want to buy a $2k gun and have to deal with headaches, ya know...

What do you suggest for the ideal hunting rifle?
I will use it for western hunts on Elk, mulies, and back home on whitetail and bear. I want a light rifle and it has to be chambered in 300 win mag, I like the cartridge and have everything to handload for a long time.

So I want;
-.300WM
-Accurate
-Lightweight
-Muzzle brake
-Stainless

I like Tikka but they are hard to find especially with a brake, I like Brownings new mountain pro but it's not even in production yet, Weatherby, Bergara, others around $2k???

Thanks for your time.

I have a CA Ridgeline in 300 WM with a rail, rings, Leupold VX-5, and it shoots half MOA when I do my part. I had to do a bit of dremel work on the barrel channel on the stock, and I had to retighten the action screws after about 20 rounds, which was annoying, but the gun is an absolute tack driver. I'm right at 8 pounds, 4 ounces with that set up, and braked, it's fun to shoot. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I wanted a long than normal barrel rifle.

I also recently bought a Kimber Montana and for all the grief I see on forums about Kimber rifles, it's been a sub-MOA shooter so far. It's a short action in 6.5, Talley lightweights, and a Swaro Z3, right at 6 pounds flat unloaded, and just feels great in the hand. I'm going to buy a long action when I get chance, whether it's 280 AI, 30-06, or 300 WM.

Shotguns I expect to fit me perfectly and go bang in the direction I want every single time. At this point with factory rifles, I want them to fit me and what I'm doing first, and I fully expect if I'm paying under $2k, I can fix the problems or hire a gunsmith for the rest. I have yet to see delta benefit me in true custom rifles ($5k+ bare gun) that I can't do myself for cheaper.