Help with Muzzle Brake

I am seriously considering putting a brake on my Sako 85 7mm Rem Mag. I have been researching, and I think I am down to two choices.
The APA Gen 1 Micro and the Terminator T1.
I think I'm leaning toward the Micro due to weight and size, but I like the T1 for it's pure effectiveness. Any of you that have experience in either or both of these, what do you think??

Also, what threads would be best for a Tikka/Sako barrel profile? I would also like opinions on who and where to have the work done.

Here's what I'm looking to brake. Thanx, guys.
20190414_143037.jpg

Last edited:

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Precision Armaments M4-72 is a great muzzle break. I have one on a Thompson Center 30-06 pistol. Great recoil reduction. Make sure you wear hearing protection.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
APA “the answer” works great on my Sako A7 7rem mag. A real pleasure to shoot after switching from the factory radial brake. 15x1 thread from the factory.

OP
Muley Buck
APA “the answer” works great on my Sako A7 7rem mag. A real pleasure to shoot after switching from the factory radial brake. 15x1 thread from the factory.
I was looking at those as well. I'm just not sure I want a self timing brake. Would you mind posting a picture of your setup?

Bkottke35

WKR
No experience with any of those choices but I would highly recommend High Tech Customs (HTC) in Colorado Springs. Rich did a brake on my 338 win mag Tikka T3 and it works fantastic and turned out great.

B

I was looking at those as well. I'm just not sure I want a self timing brake. Would you mind posting a picture of your setup?

If you are sending it out to get done I don't see any good reason to get a self timing break. Send the break with the gun and they can fit it.

OP
Muley Buck
If you are sending it out to get done I don't see any good reason to get a self timing break. Send the break with the gun and they can fit it.
This is ultimately what I will end up doing. I run an APA Gen II little bastard on my Tikka CTR. I'm just curious about the self timers on slim profile barrels.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not really a difference with brakes on a slim barrel they just usually run a smaller thread. Like stated earlier your barrel would use a 9/16 most likely. Obviously can’t use a 5/8 because your barrel is 5/8.

Where you might see a difference is not being able to have a smith do a straight blend on it, because it would not leave enough wall thickness. The brake will be a larger OD than your barrel. I personally like a stepped brake, vs a tapered one, but that’s just me. And as someone who makes brakes it’s just easier to not have to taper/blend to the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
add927e336c3b67a25cd41d6b9a3903d.jpg

OP
Muley Buck
Not really a difference with brakes on a slim barrel they just usually run a smaller thread. Like stated earlier your barrel would use a 9/16 most likely. Obviously can’t use a 5/8 because your barrel is 5/8.

Where you might see a difference is not being able to have a smith do a straight blend on it, because it would not leave enough wall thickness. The brake will be a larger OD than your barrel. I personally like a stepped brake, vs a tapered one, but that’s just me. And as someone who makes brakes it’s just easier to not have to taper/blend to the barrel.

add927e336c3b67a25cd41d6b9a3903d.jpg
Thank you. My curiosity was purely based on the aesthetics of a self timing brake vs. a standard / blended brake.

ckleeves

WKR
58d30462eaacafa681343e099ddda658.jpg

Here is a MBM on a Brux #3. I think they are the best looking breaks out there on lighter contour barrels. Very effective too.

OP
Muley Buck
Thanx for all of the replies guys, it has been helpful. I have decided that I am going to go with an APA Micro in 9/16 x 32. It may be a little while due to scheduling, but I'll try to get some pictures up of the finished product when its all done.