Help with muzzleloader for daughters elk hunt

Jarhead

FNG
Taking my 15 yr old daughter to New Mexico on her first elk hunt this year. She’s done very well with a center fire rifle on whitetail but she’s dying to come elk hunting with me. I want her to experience bugling bulls so we’ve applied for the youth muzzleloader draw, and if not drawn I’m fortunate to have access to a landowner tag. We’ll end up making the hunt one way or another, since she probably won’t want to hang out with her dad much longer...

Looking for help selecting the right weapon. I’m an archery hunter so have little experience here. She’s 5’-9” and in very good shape from sports so I’m not in need of a “youth model”. Cost is a consideration but I’m willing to pay for a quality firearm that will reliably group to 200 yards.

I’d sincerely appreciate any pointers on make, model, scope, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I personally am a big fan of CVA muzzleloaders . I have experience with the optima and think it is a very solid rifle that won't break the bank.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When my middle daughter was 16 (2017) she got a ML elk tag here in CO from their tag reissue process that someone had turned in. She got it a week before the season started and neither of us had ever shot a ML. But I had a T/C Omega sitting in my safe, so that's what she used. She's 5'9" as well. She shot a 3-shot 2" group on the bench at 100 yards, but ended up shooting her bull at 30 free hand. Since then I've picked up a CVA Accura V2 as well. I don't know what NM requires for ML's, but the CVA's are probably more reliable with full size conicals.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I have the TC Impact and am very pleased with its quality. I have only used it on deer but it’s been extremely reliable. I have left it loaded with the primer out for weeks and it would always still go bang. Thompson Center and CVA are the two brands I recommend. CVA offers military discount at 30% off msrp so if you know anyone you can get a good deal that way.

If you are just gonna use it in NM and will be using sabots, I think T/C or CVA would be good choices.

But don’t buy the T/C if you might hunt in Colorado where conical bullets are required. Due to the false muzzle (QLA), you can’t count on their guns shooting conical well. And T/C won’t guarantee any accuracy with conicals. If you don’t believe me call T/C and ask them. Or google QLA problems.

Checkmate

FNG
My daughter shoots my ML (CVA accura) for whitetails but i usually tailor the load down for her. She is 12, 5'2". I use a 100g volume charge of BH209 but she uses a hornady XTP 45 cal bullet, 240 gr if memory serves me right. It wouldn't be what I would use on elk though. Guessing your daughter would be able to shoot a 300 gr bullet. I really like the Harvester White Lightning. They have worked well for me. I get a consistent 3/4 inch group at 118 yds (don't ask... I have tried to get the range to change the target backers...). Still using the same 100 gr BH209 charge for that. Chrono'd at 1875 fps.