Help with my custom rifle build

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
McMillian Game Hunter Edge Fill arrived. Feels awesome in hand. Off to the gunsmith to get bolted up to the #3 Bartlein barrel. Planning on going 24 inch, no brake, 280 cal.

Now.........I can’t sleep over scope choice.

Swaro X5 3-18
Nightforce 2.5x10x42 (20 oz is a big plus)
Nightforce 3.5-10x50 (have a lot of time behind this scope)
Not crazy about the new NX8 options as 2.5 ffp isn’t my favorite for quick shots.

Rifle will be 50-700yd setup.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
If you need a sfp scope the x5 is a nice choice. Zeiss v6 is also getting high praise. The NX8 does come with digillum so that is a nice plus especially at low magnification. The scope is always the toughest decision!

I have an X5 and the 2.5-10 NXS...two totally different scopes. For what you are doing I think I would lean towards the Nightforce compact. The X5 is longer, heavier, and the turrets are bigger making it seem bigger. But, the X5 glass and the 4WX reticle is pretty sweet!

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure how far down this rabbit hole you are, but I'd rethink your cartridge of choice. Look at the ballistic tables of Hornady factory ammunition and compare the 280 Rem versus the 6.5 PRC. For what you're wanting to do with the rifle, I would choose the latter.
And I would second the suggestion of looking at the Javelin bipod. Handy rig for sure. I love my Harris and Atlas bipod for regular or competition shooting but when carrying a gun on your shoulder for any length of time, those are a pain in the neck (literally!). The Javelin solves that and weighs next to nothing.

Just buy a built gun. Quality rifles coming out and cheaper than you can build. If you check out Fierce, awesome @ reasonable price. I built my dream rifle 4 years ago. 7 rem built off Stiller Predator action, carbon barrel, nightforce NXS, 1 in 8, 180 Berger, shoots awesome. Did come with 100 custom loads (sucked FPS was +- 60). In all it was about $6,500. Buddy goes out and gets a Fierce, half the cost, 3lbs lighter, and shoots awesome factory HSM. What a waste of money on my end.

I would buy a proof or a hellscanyon armory barrel, and either an AG composites or a Mesa altitude stock.

The inletting on my manners looks like Ray Charles cut it and 2 separate well regarded smiths have confirmed Im not the only person they have heard/seen to get a wack cut manners. I won’t buy another.

Missed you got a McMillan, nice job

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Not sure how far down this rabbit hole you are, but I'd rethink your cartridge of choice. Look at the ballistic tables of Hornady factory ammunition and compare the 280 Rem versus the 6.5 PRC. For what you're wanting to do with the rifle, I would choose the latter.
And I would second the suggestion of looking at the Javelin bipod. Handy rig for sure. I love my Harris and Atlas bipod for regular or competition shooting but when carrying a gun on your shoulder for any length of time, those are a pain in the neck (literally!). The Javelin solves that and weighs next to nothing.

One of my main reasons for choosing 280 was ammo availability and price. Hornady ELD-X can be found for $26 bucks a box and it really allows me to save some money in the long run over the magnums of 6.5 prc. Also really considering having the Javelin Gunsmith Adapter installed.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Just buy a built gun. Quality rifles coming out and cheaper than you can build. If you check out Fierce, awesome @ reasonable price. I built my dream rifle 4 years ago. 7 rem built off Stiller Predator action, carbon barrel, nightforce NXS, 1 in 8, 180 Berger, shoots awesome. Did come with 100 custom loads (sucked FPS was +- 60). In all it was about $6,500. Buddy goes out and gets a Fierce, half the cost, 3lbs lighter, and shoots awesome factory HSM. What a waste of money on my end.

I’ll be all in around $2500 for a custom gun on this one. I’ve sourced components as I’ve found them on sale or discounted. Having had a bunch of rack rifles I just wanted to have something exactly to my specs and have some recourse if the rifle doesn’t shoot as well as I would like. The gunsmith lives a stones throw from my house and is none for doing excellent work.

elkguide

WKR
I’ll be all in around $2500 for a custom gun on this one. I’ve sourced components as I’ve found them on sale or discounted. Having had a bunch of rack rifles I just wanted to have something exactly to my specs and have some recourse if the rifle doesn’t shoot as well as I would like. The gunsmith lives a stones throw from my house and is none for doing excellent work.

Everyone "NEEDS" at least one custom rifle.

I put that in the same category as "my one elk hunt!"

You just can't stop after one!!!!!