Help with my custom rifle build

eamyrick

WKR
After having 5-6 rack rifles over the years I have finally decided to have a custom built. (On a budget)The builder lives a mile from my house and puts out great stuff and is cool with me sourcing components myself. I primarily backpack hunt and will be going on desert Mule Deer and Aoudad hunts this upcoming season. I’m kinda a nomad hunter as I live in Texas and often travel for hunting so I kinda want a do it all rifle. The gunsmith has a G series 700 long action and I’ve kinda settled on 270 or 280 with a lean towards 280. Hornady has 280 150g ELDX for $27 a box and I have no interest in reloading. I am staying away from the magnums because I have no intention to use a brake but would like something flatter than a 308. What would y’all use for barrels and stock? I am heavily leaning toward a CF stock but can’t decided between something standard like McMillian Hunters edge or a raised check piece like the Mesa Altitude or McMillian Hunter. As for trigger I plan on using the TriggerTech primary. I have a few precision rifle schools under my belt but will likely not shoot more than 3-500 rounds a year with personal limit of 500-600 yards. Thanks for the input. -Elijah

Last edited:

WKR
Mcmillan classic in edge fill , adl bottom metal, Hawk Hill #2 8 or 8.5 twist with 1” shank, finished at 23.

elkguide

WKR
I'd use a Proof barrel.
.270 or .280..... .280 wins every time. (I'd build a .300 Win Mag if it were me.)
I like a raised cheek piece on my stocks as I get a more consistent weld.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
As I’m on a budget I’m sticking with the 700 action as I got a good deal on a G series and the smith includes squaring everything up with the price of barrel install.

Also the 300 WM ammo is more expensive to practice with and I really don’t want to add a brake but also want a light rifle. Also the proof barrels are cool but it gets out of my budget with 400 more on a barrel.

rayporter

WKR
it is nearly impossible to go wrong with the barrels out now days. I have hart, shilen, broughton, Krieger and barlein and they all are great! I have been around rock creek and lilja and they are great, too. a bud had a douglas that worked fine for him for a hunting gun. there is a brand new lederer barrel chambered and ready to go and the smiths that I will have next week. can report soon.

there are many others that are fantastic shooters that I have not been around, too. if you pick a custom barrel and get a bad one it will just be very bad luck. and even then most will make it right. it is just a hassle to get it right.

in stocks I have half a dozen McMillan's and one kelbly. kinda always wanted a manners.

Article 4

WKR
After having 5-6 rack rifles over the years I have finally decided to have a custom built. (On a budget)The builder lives a mile from my house and puts out great stuff and is cool with me sourcing components myself. I primarily backpack hunt and will be going on desert Mule Deer and Aoudad hunts this upcoming season. I’m kinda a nomad hunter as I live in Texas and often travel for hunting so I kinda want a do it all rifle. The gunsmith has a G series 700 long action and I’ve kinda settled on 270 or 280 with a lean towards 280. Hornady has 280 150g ELDX for $27 a box and I have no interest in reloading. I am staying away from the magnums because I have no intention to use a brake but would like something flatter than a 308. What would y’all use for barrels and stock? I am heavily leaning toward a CF stock but can’t decided between something standard like McMillian Hunters edge or a raised check piece like the Mesa Altitude or McMillian Hunter. As for trigger I plan on using the TriggerTech primary. I have a few precision rifle schools under my belt but will likely not shoot more than 3-500 rounds a year with personal limit of 500-600 yards. Thanks for the input. -Elijah

The 280 is a great caliber and if you wanted a bit more out of it, you can always Ackley it. A bit more recoil and a bit more punch.

To your questions - I personally have experience with Krieger, Proof, and Bartlein barrels and prefer cut rifling. Not to say a lilja or other button barrel wont run, I have found that for quality control and barrel finishing, cut rifling requires less post tooling care. In some cases, break in requires less time as well.

I have personally run McMillan and Manners on nearly every custom rifle and recently I am considering AG composites. They deserve a strong look considering they offer many of the high end materials and build quality at 20% less price.

Huge fan of every trigger on every rifle being exactly the same. As such, I run Timney 2 lb triggers on every single rifle

Good luck and have fun!

Lots of good advice given already! I’d agree for a backpack/lighter weight gun I’d go with a #2 or #3 contour 8 twist chopped at 23” and a short shank like 3/4”. Also an edge fill Mcmillan hunter or Manners EH2 stock. The Mesa precision stocks are very nice also and extremely light.
280 is a good choice.

Djacker

WKR
Might want to look at AG Composites for a stock option. Unless you can find a Manners or Mcmillian in stock your gonna wait 4+ months. I just received a stock from AG for my wife's 6.5 creedmoor. Very happy with the fit and finish. Weighs 2lbs, action and bottom metal dropped right in. I got the stock in 3 weeks. Best part made in America by veterans!! Have fun and good luck with your build.

Elijah- I'm in texas as well- can you PM me who you are using for your build? What is your overall budget b/c that will greatly affect the options that are out there.

Also- as far as components and trying to stay lightweight. I would recommend get 2b or 3 bartlein barrel, 23-24", and a lightweight stock. Depending on your budget there are good options from Grayboe, B&C and even Christensen Ridgeline take-off stocks are in the 2lb range.

Sounds like you already have the action and I'm assuming it is a LA, std bolt face?

As far as cartridge choice. I think the 270 is a great choice if you are sticking to factory ammo and want stuff that can be available anywhere. Great velocity with 130gr and plenty of oomph to get the job done. If needed you can go up to 150s. If you aren't worried about on the shelf availability I think the 280ai is a great choice. Aside from that I think the next best option would be the good ol 30/06- have it done with the 'Serengeti' dimension reamer for optimal accuracy and you can run everything from fast 150s up to heavy 200s.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Trigger Tech Primary and Bartlein #3 barrel ordered. Still torn on which stock to go with. (Between a standard hunting stock like the AG Composites CAT or something with a more substantial cheek piece)

Also can’t decide if I should get a front rail for an Atlas or stick with a Harris.

Article 4

WKR
Trigger Tech Primary and Bartlein #3 barrel ordered. Still torn on which stock to go with. (Between a standard hunting stock like the AG Composites CAT or something with a more substantial cheek piece)

Also can’t decide if I should get a front rail for an Atlas or stick with a Harris.

Recommend an adjustable comb. Yes it adds 1/2 lb but the cheek weld and the ability to acquire your target in LR hunting situations is worth the weight.

Bartlein makes a great barrel

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Good choice on the Bartlein #3. I’ve got a 7mag with a Bartlein #3 @ 24” that a really like.

I’d go for a stock with a higher comb & more vertical grip than the CAT.

I have Harris & Atlas bipods and like both. For a ‘budget’ build, get the Harris and put the money towards a scope or ammo.

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/hunting-stocks-remington-hunter/

What do ya'll think about the McMillan Hunter?

Stocky's also has a few of the AG Composites M50 Stocks that would fit the bill. Tough decision.

Last edited:
What about the AG composites Alpine hunter? I'm having 2 rifles built that will be in that stock. Ive read lots of good things about it!

wildcat33

WKR
FYI the McM Remington hunter is not the same as the the McMillan hunter. The former has a wider barrel channel. I have the latter with a bart #3 and it’s well matched.

That eh2 looks nice. The M50 is going to have a much larger forend. Totally doable but maybe more suited to sendero contours.

Last edited:
M50 looks nice, but heavy. I vote AG Visgoth, use other means to get your cheek up.

Also vote for a spartan bipod to save weight. A #3 bartlein, long action, 3lb stock, and harris/atlas will not be a light rifle if you primarily backpack hunt. I have a 6.5 SAUM with 25" #3 bartlein, Manners SL, LRHS in talleys, and it gets left at home occasionally for a lighter rifle.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
M50 looks nice, but heavy. I vote AG Visgoth, use other means to get your cheek up.

Also vote for a spartan bipod to save weight. A #3 bartlein, long action, 3lb stock, and harris/atlas will not be a light rifle if you primarily backpack hunt. I have a 6.5 SAUM with 25" #3 bartlein, Manners SL, LRHS in talleys, and it gets left at home occasionally for a lighter rifle.

Ended up ordering an inlet ready Edge Fill McMillian Game Hunter. Specs say between 26-30oz.

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
After having 5-6 rack rifles over the years I have finally decided to have a custom built. (On a budget)The builder lives a mile from my house and puts out great stuff...

After having bought and used most stocks, barrels and other actions out there, Id go AG Composites Stock and a CarbonSix barrel. or Proof, if you really want a Proof. Both shoot exceedingly well. Also, send the bolt to LRI for fluting and knob. Cant beat their price/quality for fluting.(if your into fluting)