Help with New Deer/Elk Arrow

TKinMS

FNG
I’m wanting to set up my new V3 with a solid arrow setup for hunting whitetail and elk. The bow itself is setup at 70#, 30” draw, 80% let off. With all the research I’ve done I’m having a hard time singling out what I want. I know I’ll be around a 300 spine and know that about 15% FOC is as high as I would want to go. I’m trying to get the arrow around 450-480 total weight. How do I determine the FOC of the arrow I’m trying to build without physically building it? I’ve been looking at BE X impacts, day six, and Easton axis 5mm match. I’m going to let my local shop assemble the arrows as I don’t have any equipment myself. Also is it worth these premiums shafts if I won’t be personally assembling the arrows?

Build the arrow, let the foc be where it's going to be. 30" draw you won't get the short arrow advantage on foc that many others get. It's a lie priority. Build a decent weight, 7-8 gpp arrow that has durable components and a good broadhead.

Using .204 or smaller arrows I think the squaring of the shafts becomes that much more important. Don't know if that's a service your local shop will do or not.

I really like more standard size shafts of .244-.246. You don't run into as much tolerance stacking.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
Calculating FOC would get pretty indepth and not that accurate. (Use the weight of the shaft + the insert + the field tip + fletching + wrap if using + nock + glue to get total arrow weight then you'll need to place each component where it will be on the arrow to estimate how much more weight is in front of the arrow centerline)

More important than FOC is how the arrow tunes out of the bow.

If you are going to have an arrow setup and want to use premium components, there are a few premium services that might be better than the local proshop if they don't usually deal with such items. DCAcustomarrows.com or shieldwallarcherysupply.com are two that I am considering for my next build. I'm sure there are others, but it's something I would consider if your not into building your own arrows and want some of the math already done for you.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I would never let a shop touch micro shafts. They simply don't have enough time to put in the neccessary work to make that thing spin true. I would only use a 5mm if you plan on running a hidden insert. If not they are really not much better than the micros. That being said the most friendly shop option you mentioned is the Easton Axis. Unless your planning on running a 150 grain head I would use either the brass HIT inserts or the ones Bill offers from Iron Will. You may also want to look at a 250, or 260 spine, you may be on the border with a 300 cut to your draw length. Shops usually prefer to run the broadhead out in front of your hand.

If you go to 3 Rivers Archery’s website, I believe they have a free arrow building tool that allows you to virtually build your arrow and it calculates the arrow weight and FOC for you. I used it with building a trad arrow, but it would work equally well for your setup.

With that kind of draw length, and the efficiency of that bow @ 70lbs any arrow you build in the 400 -500 grain finished weight range including BH is going to me a monster! I wouldn't over think it. You can build an arrow without even trying and hit 450 easy and it won't even slow down on an elk.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
Just this year I got into a V3 31, 70lb, 30” draw with the 85 mods, limb bolts are cranked all the way down, so whatever that put me at. A fellow worker has a pt job at a good archery shop and I had him build me a set of Victory RIP TKO’s, 250’s. He used the factory 50gr halfouts with 50gr weights added and I’m shooting s100 IW’s. Arrow weighs 515gr, and is a few tenths shy of 15% FOC. Bow shoots them at 286-288 FPS, crono’d 3 or 4 different times. On Monday morning this week I shot a 1 1/2 year old whitetail doe quartering to me through the shoulder blade. Arrow didn’t even slow down and stuck in a log behind her. I’m extremely pleased with this setup. Arrows have Bohning reflective wraps and 4 fletch bohning X vanes.
BA148F20-E75C-45BE-9EB3-740F113F633B.jpegE81DE305-86A2-46E0-BBF1-1D9258C702CB.jpeg8F973187-F239-4509-8FC3-C92C2927F01A.jpegC94A3420-2EDC-4213-BDEA-D7FA2F9357A6.jpeg
Pic of broadhead in log is after I pried the top piece off with a knife. I’m VERY pleased with this setup and think I’ll probably leave it alone at this point unless I switch to the 80% mods.

I’m wanting to set up my new V3 with a solid arrow setup for hunting whitetail and elk. The bow itself is setup at 70#, 30” draw, 80% let off. With all the research I’ve done I’m having a hard time singling out what I want. I know I’ll be around a 300 spine and know that about 15% FOC is as high as I would want to go. I’m trying to get the arrow around 450-480 total weight. How do I determine the FOC of the arrow I’m trying to build without physically building it? I’ve been looking at BE X impacts, day six, and Easton axis 5mm match. I’m going to let my local shop assemble the arrows as I don’t have any equipment myself. Also is it worth these premiums shafts if I won’t be personally assembling the arrows?
I would consider BE Spartan and not mess with the micros. 25 grain insert 125 head and everything else should come out to 460 or so. Good luck.

Reactions: Zac

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
To determine FOC you can download an app called QSpine. I used it a lot to figure out what shaft I want to use to get to a given weight and FOC.

I agree with the advice above to build for a target total arrow weight and let FOC fall where it may. But if you do want to estimate FOC prior to building, Gold Tip has a calculator on their website. This formula I came up with based on simple statics will also get you close:
FOC = [(front end weight) + 0.5 × (shaft gpi) × (shaft length)] ÷ (total arrow weight) – 0.5

Day Six and Axis 5mm are fairly heavy shafts (11.2 and 10.7 gpi at 300 spine), but you could get around 11-13% FOC (which is fine) at 480 gr TAW with a shaft cut to 28-29" and a fairly light rear end configuration (no wrap, no lighted nock). X-Impacts would greatly boost your FOC due to their lower density (8.1 gpi), but lower gpi generally implies less durability and working with micro diameter shafts can be tricky as mentioned above.

As you can probably tell, I enjoy geeking out about this stuff, but I'll readily admit that FOC isn't really important.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I'm moving over to Sirius Apollos or victory rip Tko after I break the rest of these black eagle rampages.. I previously shot 5mm axis but I prefer an arrow around 450 grains 490 was the best I could do with the axis. I understand for most people 490 is a great arrow but for my style of hunting I prefer to stay in the 295 to 300 fps range..
Both of the Arrows I mentioned will give you a little more wiggle room on point/ insert weight and still offer a durable shaft..

OP
T

TKinMS

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I’m checking out DCA custom arrows first but part of me is leaning to just buying good fletched arrows and trying to get my total arrow weight where I want it with weighted inserts and broadhead weight

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm moving over to Sirius Apollos or victory rip Tko after I break the rest of these black eagle rampages.. I previously shot 5mm axis but I prefer an arrow around 450 grains 490 was the best I could do with the axis. I understand for most people 490 is a great arrow but for my style of hunting I prefer to stay in the 295 to 300 fps range..
Both of the Arrows I mentioned will give you a little more wiggle room on point/ insert weight and still offer a durable shaft..
One benefit of the RIP TKO's is you can get them in shop. One downside of them is you cant get them online, victory doesnt allow it as far as I know. Downside to sirius is I believe you can only get them online? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I was in the same boat as you but went with the RIP TKO's cause I found a shop between my girlfriend and I that I can stop at on the way to visit (shes in college across the state). Also, I liked the 8.8 GPI and I havent seen any reports of durability. The Apollos are also very durable from what I've read, just a lot less info on them. I'd let weight be the deciding factor personally.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Easton axis 4mm long range, Gold tip kinetic pierce both will get you there with a 125g head and the components they come with. (250 spine) I think my GTs are 494g total with 125 heads, 4" wraps and three blazers at 2.5 degree RH. The Axis 4mm came in at 490 total, four fletch 3 degree Rh blazers.
Lancster archery does a good job cutting and putting components in and on the arrow. I make my own now but before i had a saw i would use them to cut them and they did well.