Help with new Rangefinder Selection

DANJR

FNG
Hi,

Looking to purchase a new rangefinder. Wanted to outline some clear selection criteria below to see if the experts can point me in the right direction. I'm currently using a Bushnell The Truth which has been great for bow hunting, but only ranges out to roughly 200 yards and I'm starting to pick up the rifle an equal amount as the bow.

Uses: Rifle and Bow hunting in the mountain west. specifically used for accurate ranging for shooting more than general information. I can use ONX for walking distances, hillside distances, etc.

Range: Consistent read on Deer sized game to 600yards minimum in adverse conditions, obviously the further the better. I am not into the whole ballistics piece and adjusting turrets, etc.. I'm good with my rifle out to 600 yards using a scope with bullet drop reticle, so that is my maximum shooting distance and thus minimum range criteria. Would like to be able to function early in the morning leading up to shooting light if possible (to get into shooting range for first light), in a light rain, etc. Any condition I'd feel comfortable taking a shot in.

Features:
Needs to have angle compensation feature.
Would like it have a scan feature, but not a must have.
Prefer to be of decent enough glass quality and with a 6x or 7x range that I could use it as a single optic and possibly leave binos at the truck when timber bow hunting.
Easier to use the better.

Brand: Don't necessarily care about any brand loyalty. Not opposed to going with a consumer direct newer brand, or investing in a known name. All is the same to me.

New or used is fine with me, but don't want to spend a ton of time looking for a needle in a haystack of trying to find a great deal on a single used item that every else also wants at the tip top of the budget. I'm realizing more everyday time is valuable.

Price: Sub $500 range preferred.

What are the expert recommendations?

Initial search on this forum has led me to the following initial thoughts:

Leica-Highly recommended for accuracy and glass quality. Not sure I'll like that it shows the LOS distance first, with a few second delay for angel compensation. Top of the budget range

Sig-seems to be good for the lower end models, having a hard time deciphering which of their models to look at keeping the non-ballistics nature of my use in mind.

Maven-new, good initial review but side knob seems like it may not be the most ergonomically friendly. Also, the field vs forest feature is intriguing, but may end up being more hassle than its worth in the field when I need a quick no-nonsense reading. Would suck to throw up the ranger finder, take a reading, make a shot within seconds, and realize it was on the wrong mode. I'm already used to ranging the animal and things around the animal to ensure general accuracy of the reading.

Leupold seems to be a consistent performer, though maybe less cutting edge.

Vortex-great warranty but you'll need it. Would prefer to stay away here unless some of their newer models have improved. I take care of my gear, sure things happen but reliability is way more important to me than warranty.

Help me weed through the endless options!

Axlrod

WKR
I have used all but the Maven. If you want the best get a Leica. Camera land NY has the 2400 R listed at $550 if you call them you can prob. get a better price.

Crusader

WKR
I don't have experience with the brands you list other than Leica but I'll throw out a big thumbs up for them. I bought a CRF 1000 (no frills model, just an RF with scan feature) in 2011 from CameraLand and it has been flawless, not one second of difficulty, poor performance, etc. I love it. If I recall correctly, I paid about $420 for it back then so the current models with more features are a bargain. If/when my Leica ever craps out, I'll definitely buy another.

Lwing

FNG
The vortex 4000 was the best rangefinder I ever saw , only reason I sold it was just upgraded to sig ballistic abs as I wanted ballistic capabilities, not much opinion yet as it’s new
Ive had vortex top of the line products and never had an issue, can’t say the same for zeiss or Leupold so I’m not jaded to them,,,

Hi,

Looking to purchase a new rangefinder. Wanted to outline some clear selection criteria below to see if the experts can point me in the right direction. I'm currently using a Bushnell The Truth which has been great for bow hunting, but only ranges out to roughly 200 yards and I'm starting to pick up the rifle an equal amount as the bow.

Uses: Rifle and Bow hunting in the mountain west. specifically used for accurate ranging for shooting more than general information. I can use ONX for walking distances, hillside distances, etc.

Range: Consistent read on Deer sized game to 600yards minimum in adverse conditions, obviously the further the better. I am not into the whole ballistics piece and adjusting turrets, etc.. I'm good with my rifle out to 600 yards using a scope with bullet drop reticle, so that is my maximum shooting distance and thus minimum range criteria. Would like to be able to function early in the morning leading up to shooting light if possible (to get into shooting range for first light), in a light rain, etc. Any condition I'd feel comfortable taking a shot in.

Features:
Needs to have angle compensation feature.
Would like it have a scan feature, but not a must have.
Prefer to be of decent enough glass quality and with a 6x or 7x range that I could use it as a single optic and possibly leave binos at the truck when timber bow hunting.
Easier to use the better.

Brand: Don't necessarily care about any brand loyalty. Not opposed to going with a consumer direct newer brand, or investing in a known name. All is the same to me.

New or used is fine with me, but don't want to spend a ton of time looking for a needle in a haystack of trying to find a great deal on a single used item that every else also wants at the tip top of the budget. I'm realizing more everyday time is valuable.

Price: Sub $500 range preferred.

What are the expert recommendations?

Initial search on this forum has led me to the following initial thoughts:

Leica-Highly recommended for accuracy and glass quality. Not sure I'll like that it shows the LOS distance first, with a few second delay for angel compensation. Top of the budget range

Sig-seems to be good for the lower end models, having a hard time deciphering which of their models to look at keeping the non-ballistics nature of my use in mind.

Maven-new, good initial review but side knob seems like it may not be the most ergonomically friendly. Also, the field vs forest feature is intriguing, but may end up being more hassle than its worth in the field when I need a quick no-nonsense reading. Would suck to throw up the ranger finder, take a reading, make a shot within seconds, and realize it was on the wrong mode. I'm already used to ranging the animal and things around the animal to ensure general accuracy of the reading.

Leupold seems to be a consistent performer, though maybe less cutting edge.

Vortex-great warranty but you'll need it. Would prefer to stay away here unless some of their newer models have improved. I take care of my gear, sure things happen but reliability is way more important to me than warranty.

Help me weed through the endless options!
Been around a long time, was an early Kifaru poster from ‘03, I read threads here, don’t post much but I thought I’d toss in my perspective on RFs:
Bought a Leica RF900 back in ‘06, bulletproof to 600, sketchy beyond that, transitioned to Leica RF 1200, and it was bulletproof to 900-1000. No complaints with the Leicas. Last year I felt like I needed more distance capability in my RF, and lots of tech improvements in the industry so I bought a Nikon, not sure of model but it was ~$400.
I discovered a feature I could never live without now in an RF, image stabilization. What a game changer for ranging.
That’s my $.02, buy whatever brand but IMO do not buy one without image stabilization.
Caio.