Help with New Rifle Selection

I am looking to add a rifle to my slowly growing collection. I currently have:

-Tikka T3 270 topped with Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 (This rifle is bone stock)
-Remington 700 in 270. Topped with VX5. This one sits in a Mcmillan stock and has a new 24” Shilen barrel on it and i also had the action trued. Timney trigger
-Remington 700 in 308 topped with Swaro Z3 3-10x42. Also in a Mcmillan stock with edge fill and has a 20” barrel. Action trued and Jewel trigger.

All of these are tack drivers.

I would like to add something to the collection. I mainly whitetail hunt and hog hunt in the south but will travel west each year for an elk hunt. I have used the above rifles for that trip in the past. Just starting to entertain this and would likely look at spending up to $1200 for the rifle. I could save a little longe to spend more if that’s what i need to do. Or, could buy something cheaper and put the extra cash toward ammo, glass or any upgrades. Would love to hear some thoughts from some of you who have a collection on what would be a good next addition.

Finn16

WKR
Your collection reminds me of mine a while back in that it has a lot of redundancy. You could sell off all of them and build a LW custom 280 Ackley and be good to go for everything you hunt east and west. Or sell them off and buy something like a Weatherby Backcountry in 280 AI. I know I'll probably get some flack for that mentality but that's ok. The older I get the more I am into the one gun for everything philosophy.

OP
Bezamaelee
I have thought about the redundancy of my collection for sure. I should add that i have 5 kids and one of the 270’s will go to my oldest son and the 308 will go to son number 2. I haven’t considered saving for a custom and definitely am interested in the 280 AI. Thanks for the comment and consideration. Gives me some research to do!

Finn16

WKR
Sounds like you have a hand me down plan for redundancy!

I've spent too much time looking into this 280 AI thing lately. I like the looks of the Weatherby Backcountry in pix but haven't seen one in person. I did look at a Kimber Mtn Ascent but the fluted bolt seemed to bounce along when you closed it. I also looked at a Kimber Montana and liked it and the bolt was much smoother than the Mtn Ascent. Savage has a the new 110 Ultralite coming out with Proof Research barrels on them but they are 22 inches long - I'd much prefer 24 on the 280 AI. Speaking of Proof Research, they are coming out with Tikka Pre-fits in 280 AI so you could switch over your T3 if you choose to.

howl

WKR
What do you want that your current rigs don't do? How much more recoil would you stand?

WKR
I'd simply put a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce on the Rem 700 with a seekins rail and rings. And then why use any of the others? Seen way smaller than 270 kill nice bull elk.

OP
Bezamaelee
I’m perfectly content with my current set up. To be clear, i have never felt undergunned with my 270’s for elk hunting. Both rifles shoot 150 partitions really well and that is solid elk medicine. Just looking to grow my collection. You fellas can all appreciate that I’m sure! All of this is super helpful in making me think about my next choice. I’m perfectly comfortable with a magnum caliber rifle, and have owned a couple of 300 win mags. Wondering what is a good complementary next rifle. Also, the Weatherby idea is interesting. Want to check one of those out for sure. Also, have considered Kimber, Browning, another Tikka etc.

WKR
Have a really good 223 or 22 LR? If not, I’d go that route.

WKR
I’d for sure go 223, 22-250, 22 creedmoor for a next one. For big game you are covered up through moose at a minimum.

howl

WKR
To be significantly different from .270 you would go down to .22 or up to .33.

Also, everyone should have a nice, high quality rifle. There's usually a Colt Sauer on gunsinternational. Might have to watch awhile or check other sites to find one within budget.

OP
Bezamaelee
To be significantly different from .270 you would go down to .22 or up to .33.

Also, everyone should have a nice, high quality rifle. There's usually a Colt Sauer on gunsinternational. Might have to watch awhile or check other sites to find one within budget.

This is interesting. The idea of a high end rifle of heirloom quality is cool.

With kids you should go 6mm- 243 win is easy, or 6mm creed for something different. Which is better on deer than a 22 cal

If you do go .223 get a high twist barrel to shoot the heavies