Help with new rifle

Ehiggins

WKR
I’m looking for a new rifle for elk/deer hunting and need some help. Right now I’m looking at something like a Bergara Highlander, Christensen Mesa/ Ridgeline, browning HC, Winchester model 70 etc but am not ruling anything out at this point. Have been primarily a bow hunter the last 10+ years so I’d like to get some direction from those more knowledgeable than myself. Only real specific would be not wood/blued, looking for something that tolerates the weather.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to smile when I read you're post. I'm on the way home from an Idaho elk hunt that I shared with 2 great friends. In our camp we had a bergara b14 hunter, a Tikka t3, and a winchester model 70. We had our daily "best gun" arguments. It basically comes down to personal preference. Every gun has it's pros and cons and it's easy to get overwhelmed with reviews and opinions. Go to a gun shop and get your hands on a couple different models and get the one you that fits you best and then most importantly take it to the range and practice. As a bowhunter I'm sure you understand the importance of having confidence in your equipment.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Get proven “Rokslide Special”
Tikka T3x any model and since elk in menu 7mm Rem /30-06 and up
Leupold vx3i VX5HD or vortex LHT

Reactions: OMB
OP
Ehiggins

Ehiggins

WKR
Get proven “Rokslide Special”
Tikka T3x any model and since elk in menu 7mm Rem /30-06 and up
Leupold vx3i VX5HD or vortex LHT

I really want to like the Tikkas but I’m not crazy about the detachable magazine, also they kinda look odd. The looks I could probably get over.

PredatorX

WKR
I really like my Christensen Ridgeline. It's a lot of gun for the money especially if you land a good deal. But be sure to budget in a quality scope for it. What caliber are you looking to get into?

Also on the tikkas...they are ugly in their original form but you can easily put on a nice stock and have a sub moa shooter for about 1200 or so.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: OMB
OP
Ehiggins

Ehiggins

WKR
I really like my Christensen Ridgeline. It's a lot of gun for the money especially if you land a good deal. But be sure to budget in a quality scope for it. What caliber are you looking to get into?

Also on the tikkas...they are ugly in their original form but you can easily put on a nice stock and have a sub moa shooter for about 1200 or so.

Yeah they look like really nice rifles. I’m leaning towards 7mm but am not set on any caliber yet.

I thought about the tikka w/ new stock route but you still have than detachable magazine.

Ram94

WKR
I’ve never understood the dislike towards detachable mags. I’m the complete opposite and actually installed one on my last Ridgeline. No fumbling with loose shells and can keep a spare full mag within reach. They’re very handy.

OP
Ehiggins

Ehiggins

WKR
I’ve never understood the dislike towards detachable mags. I’m the complete opposite and actually installed one on my last Ridgeline. No fumbling with loose shells and can keep a spare full mag within reach. They’re very handy.

I’m sure you’re right that it’s an irrational fear I have of it falling out, still makes me a bit uneasy for some reason though.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Ridgeline in 7mm and wouldn’t trade it for a large sum of money.

Bergara vote here, jumped into a hunter this spring, love it, shoots factory ammo sub moa. Will be buying another bergara in the near future

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
Yeah they look like really nice rifles. I’m leaning towards 7mm but am not set on any caliber yet.

I thought about the tikka w/ new stock route but you still have than detachable magazine.

7mm would be a GREAT all around flavor. Mine is in 300WM but i fired many a 7mm at deer. Love that caliber even if it is on the larger side.

Personally, I'd make sure you get one with a muzzle brake if getting one of the larger bores. I tend to believe that recoil is a non issue with brakes installed. Also, with the ridgeline try and get a Slayer brake for it instead of the radial one that comes with it.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Bergara Higlander this summer in 7mm and absolutely love it. Shoots factory ammo sub moa at 100 yards and I was on target out to 680 yards with it. Used it on my Idaho hunt this fall but sadly never had the opportunity at a deer.
Like said above, get to a shop and get them in your hands. Its how I decided on the Bergara. All the other rifles are great, but for me the Bergara had the best fit.

rootacres

WKR
I had a Bergara in 308, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that brand. I did sell it and rolled the funds into a CA Ridgeline in 300 WSM. Those Ridgelines are hard to beat, timney triggers, cerakoted actions and barrels, carbon fiber barrels, lightweight stock, limbsaver pad. And in a 300 WSM you can sometimes find a deal, I think its among the best Elk/Deer cartridges available. My brother bought a Mesa in 308, his mule deer didn't move after impact, he did however bump to a 300 wm for our most recent elk hunt. Fast forward to this year, I went down the custom gun rabbit hole and built my own custom 7mm WSM. With a 168gr Berger my bull didn't make it 15 yards after a 325 yard shot.

mtrecon

Lil-Rokslider
Savage 110 Ultralite 280 AI. Shoots 162 ELDX sub MOA, scoped and loaded 7lbs 8oz. Enough weight for off hand for me and light enough for backpack hunts. Very adjustable comb and length of pull and trigger adjustments. Handles the weather great.

Attachments

• 7509EECD-62AC-4AB4-8FC1-A9787D48DC9D.jpeg
    7509EECD-62AC-4AB4-8FC1-A9787D48DC9D.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 35
  • CB312F87-9C51-4EFC-A31B-C665E0898F74.jpeg
    CB312F87-9C51-4EFC-A31B-C665E0898F74.jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 35