Help with OnX MVUM

bloom1gr

FNG
Recently started having the opportunity to scout out some of the areas I've been checking out on OnX over the past few months. I'm having a fair bit of trouble being able to identify which roads or trails are entirely accessible vs those that are gated or posted as private property.

I've only come across one road that was posted as private, and it was posted suspiciously at the exact point on the map where the map turned to BLM, however it was posted in the direction as if indicating I was entering private property rather than exiting it - lo-and-behold there was a gate just a couple hundred yards ahead.

What I more frequently have been encountering is trails that are entirely on BLM land that have been gated off. Is there a way to be able to identify this on the app, or is this something you just have to go and find out for yourself? And is there any predictability to knowing when/if those gates ever get opened for access?

I'll attach a couple screenshots below for reference.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
This very well might have been a questionable road to come in on, but there were no signs indicating it was a private drive or private property until the very point on the map where the BLM line is drawn.IMG_9053.jpg

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
This one is accessed by the purple highlighted road, and the two roads it forks into both had gates blocking access. I've been in other areas where this same road marking was anIMG_9052.jpg accessible road, so it left me confused.

In my experience if it isn’t explicitly called out on the MVUM expect it to be closed until you can verify. There is very little funding and work put into the the accuracy of the MVUM and improved road systems, especially on the BLM so it’s really a crapshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corncob

WKR
This one is accessed by the purple highlighted road, and the two roads it forks into both had gates blocking access. I've been in other areas where this same road marking was anView attachment 201144 accessible road, so it left me confused.

In CO, the Gaia USFS Roads and Trails layer is usually pretty accurate, but the MVUM is generally more spot on in terms of guaranteeing it will be open.

The first screenshot has the USFS Roads and Trails layer turned on, and the roads on the left with gates are closed.

The second screenshot shows that the roads on the left aren’t actually part of the MVUM later.

e6abc41e2c89d6997a181b01085a420a.jpg

4caab28db8b77d81d81077d27d3952d8.jpg

Interesting thought that the USFS Roads and Trails doesn’t show these (left loop and road that goes south) as closed, but that means they could be seasonal or it’s gated because it only goes to private property maybe? Usually the notes are pretty accurate for the CO roads, but I have no experience with Oregon.

3de0035fc8cc31441d01a23f99bbb6b4.jpg

38192497b04f480e5e17765cce7e6c04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk