Help with prioritizing optics upgrade for backpacking next year

I have a $1500 budget to upgrade my optics system for next year and am having a tough time deciding what to do with it. I'm planning two backpack mule deer hunts, one archery and one rifle. Right now I have a pair of 10x42 conquests, I and can borrow a leupold gold ring 12-40x60 (non-HD) which worked well for my Wyoming rifle hunt last year (car camping). I'm not a trophy hunter, but I do like to know the general frame of a buck before deciding to go after it (don't care as much if its a big 3x4 vs a big 4x4). Here are some options I am considering that are in the budget:

1. Kowa 554
2. Conquest 15x56 plus new victory 8x25 (would leave the 10x42's at the trailhead)
3. Others to consider?

I am really drawn to the 15x56's because I think I would find more deer. The rifle hunt is going to be in thicker, more broken country where these might be the ticket. If they could help me judge the frame/general size of a buck at a mile or so, that would probably be all I need to go for the stalk. On the other hand, Ive read a ton of good things about the kowa and I think a 10x42 plus the 55mm would be a great combo (and an upgrade to the borrowed leupold), but I wonder if I would find more deer using the 15's. However, if I took the 15's backpacking I would leave the 10x42's at home and go with the victory 8x25's (getting amazing reviews from the birding guys who compare them to most 8x32's) for glassing within 500 yards. That might be too much of a compromise though. I am probably overthinking all of this, but hey, that's what post-season is all about!

I went with a high quality 8x42 mostly for field of view, and the kowa tsn 554. We will see how it works out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
I have been in a similar type of situation ever since I used some swaro 15s on a trip this season. I absolutely loved them for the hunt I was on. (I too have conqest 10x42.) But don't think I want 15s as my only glass, nor do I want to put them in my pack not only because of the extra weight, but also because I doubt I would use them like I should if they are tucked away. So I think I might jump on the 12x bandwagon and give that a try. I hunt a lot of open country and am in hopes I can see as much as I need with 12x and not carry a spotter. But that's MY situation. if you liked he 10x and small luepold you should really like the kowa.

OP
willfrye027
My buddy had razor 12x50's on that trip and the few times I looked through them, I did not see much advantage compared to my 10x42s. I felt like the extra FOV of my 10's was more important to me than the slight increase in power of the 12's. I have not looked through 15's other than in a store although I imagine its going to add a lot compared to the 10's.

skierhs

WKR
I’d look at two options.

First: sell your current binos and upgrade to a swaro slc 10x42. The increase in glass clarity will be well worth it and really help with finding animals when the smaller details make a difference.

Second: downgrade your binos on your chest and save some more money if possible and get the swaro 15x56. You can find good pairs used or new at some discounts this time of the year. The maven 15x are also supposed to be really good at 1.4k or so which is way cheaper and would let you get the second best 15x out there.

FlyGuy

WKR
That is a tough call, but based on what you have laid out as your priorities I would steer you towards the 15’s on a tripod and 8’s on your chest.

The 15’s are easy on the eyes and really, really good at finding game from a distance; and the 8’s are light on your chest and great for one handed glassing in timber with their wide FOV.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Trial153

WKR
Sell the Conquests, pick up SLC in 10x run them off a tripod, pocket the 500 from the Conquests and call it a day.
From what your describing you won’t be missing anything. If you later decide you want a spotter you’re 1/3 of the way to a 55mm kowa. If you decide on the 15s then you a 1/4 of the way there for them.

I won’t even go into the thought that maybe you shouldn’t just stay with the Conquests.....

OP
willfrye027
Sell the Conquests, pick up SLC in 10x run them off a tripod, pocket the 500 from the Conquests and call it a day.
From what your describing you won’t be missing anything. If you later decide you want a spotter you’re 1/3 of the way to a 55mm kowa. If you decide on the 15s then you a 1/4 of the way there for them.

I won’t even go into the thought that maybe you shouldn’t just stay with the Conquests.....

Interesting. I really like my conquests, especially off a tripod, and find it hard to believe the SLCs in 10x42 would change the outcome of any hunt compared to what I have. However I can see how having a set of 15's or a spotter could make a difference..

Matt G.

WKR
I would keep the conquests.. I just picked up the meostar hds and to my eyes couldn't see much of a difference to double the price tag for the SLC. I would say keep the 10's for generalist for finding.

I think you are going the right direction on spotting scope. the Kowa is smaller and lighter then the 15s. I would make sure you have a good tripod and butt pad to sit behind the glass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would use your conquests and the Kowa spotter if you're hunting open country. 15x is pretty small for spotting deer over 2 miles away. Spotters can shine in long range glassing beyond the power of binos and judging. Of course your binos are the main glassing tool that you use the majority of your glassing time. Some guys are real sensitive to using a spotter for glassing at all, in which case you'd want to use 15x binos.

FURMAN

WKR
I do 90% of my glassing with 10x42 on a tripod. I use a spotter for judging prior to moving closer. If I were you I would save a little more and get a used swaro 20-60 spotter. Your 10xs will be adequate for many years and can be upgraded later. There are a few different main strategies for glassing so you will get at least a few different suggestions.

If it were me, I would do the following in the classifieds on here:

Sell your 10x conquests for $700
Find a set of razor or meopta 12x50's for $900
Pickup a kowa 55 for $1300

And you'd be set for any backpack hunt with a quality set of 12's and the nice kowa spotter.

tdhanses

WKR
I would keep the conquest hd’s, that is a good bino and unless your super picky from edge to edge you will not notice a huge difference.

The Kowa 55 rocks, plus you don’t have to get a huge tripod. The KDC granite peak tripod would work well for both binos and the Kowa and only weighs around 5oz, plus the cost isn’t crazy. So if you currently pack a 2lb+ tripod you really wouldn’t be adding any weight to your pack if you got the Kowa and KDC tripod.

Last edited:
OP
willfrye027
Some great suggestions, thanks guys. I think I am leaning towards the kowa at this point. Definitely would be using them off the granite peak at least for backpacking. I still would really like a pair of 15's long term but since I am mostly backpacking for muleys this year I should probably go with the kowa..