Help with range finders

Gonz406

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Bushnell the truth range finder for the last 3 years (archery). My wife bought me a sig kilo 1000. I tested it out on my back yard range, I was off by 1 yard at 20 the 2 at 30 and it kept on going. My question is, the truth is supposed to be a range finder for archery. Which one should I trust? I plan to use the kilo of rifle only.

For me, as long as the range is consistent it’s almost irrelevant which one is “correct”. If you sight your bow/rifle in with the same one you hunt with, then you know that whatever range it gives, you are good for. Problems will arise if it’s off and you have someone else tell you the range with their equipment however.

OP
Gonz406

Gonz406

Lil-Rokslider
For me, as long as the range is consistent it’s almost irrelevant which one is “correct”. If you sight your bow/rifle in with the same one you hunt with, then you know that whatever range it gives, you are good for. Problems will arise if it’s off and you have someone else tell you the range with their equipment however.
That's a good point, never looked at it that way. Thanks!

How do you know which one is correct? If you can, try both at a known (measured distance) to determine. As dukerugger25 stated, as long as you adjust your sight pins to the distance measured by that particular rangefinder, you will be fine as long as you use that rangefinder for hunting.
You will probably find different measurements with several different rangefinders. My guide has Leica Rangefinding binos, and I have Swaro EL Ranges, and we get difference readouts between the two. It's usually only a couple of yards at 200- 300 yards, but they do differ. Not a concern to me since I only Rifle hunt.

Last edited: