Help with scope questions. SHV & VX5

sndmn11

WKR
Any concern about the eye relief on the Shv f1 looks like it’s 3.1 in. If I go this route my total setup will be heavier but I don’t like scoping myself and it has happened before. I also noticed eurooptic.com has a nxs 3.5x 15 for 1400 but it has 3.9 in of eye relief.

No concern.

That nxs is second focal.

You mentioned earlier to get the SHV and see how you like the reticle, I'd approach it as see how quick you can learn the reticle.

OP
WiscoHoundsman
No concern.

That nxs is second focal.

You mentioned earlier to get the SHV and see how you like the reticle, I'd approach it as see how quick you can learn the reticle.
I meant that more so as in how big/small is the reticle of the Shv F1 at 4x as most of my hunting shots will be on deer in Wisconsin with some moving/running. I just also want to be able to take the gun out west and be able to shoot to 400 or so yards easier than trying to hold over. So I was looking at those scopes as options to be able to do both. I think they can but haven’t had my hands on one yet.

I did see the nxs is second focal plane and didn’t know if the reticle would be easier to see at all magnification ranges.

amassi

WKR
I meant that more so as in how big/small is the reticle of the Shv F1 at 4x as most of my hunting shots will be on deer in Wisconsin with some moving/running. I just also want to be able to take the gun out west and be able to shoot to 400 or so yards easier than trying to hold over. So I was looking at those scopes as options to be able to do both. I think they can but haven’t had my hands on one yet.

I did see the nxs is second focal plane and didn’t know if the reticle would be easier to see at all magnification ranges.
The nxs would be considerably more visible at low power and the shv from 8-14 appearing roughly the same size.
My f1 shv is essentially a 6-10 power scope. On 6x I have a sufficiently bold reticle for close moving shots on coyotes.
For what your doing a sfp scope would make more sense

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Gone4Days

WKR
Google “Nightforce failure”, lol. Reports are out there on every scope both good and bad. Max Ordinate had 4 ATACRs go down just a couple weeks ago in a class with a bunch of Marines.

@WiscoHoundsman , I think a SFP scope would probably be fine shooting deer close up. But if you’re looking to start shooting at distance, FFP is the only real answer. I’d look at an LRHS2.0 over an SHV. Or an unilluminated Mk5, or maybe an illuminated XTR3, or save up a little more to get a used 4-16 ATACR. The SHV is probably the best $500 scope in the current market though…..
Reliability track record isn’t even comparable between Leupold and NF.

amassi

WKR
You must have that data handy. What’s the rate of return for each product run of each scope model from Leupold and Nightforce? Of those returns, what percent didn’t have any problem, what percentage was attributable to user error, and what percent was product malfunction? What’s the breakdown of product malfunctions?

What other manufacturers do you have detailed track record data from?

…..or….are you just regurgitating what you’ve read/heard without any actual facts…..
I'll take this one Alex- sent many scopes to leupold for issues. Final straw was a mil based mk5hd that crapped out. Leupold fixed the erectors but their tracking test was done in moa? Now I'm stuck with this scope I'm not sure leupold fixed it.

I'd wager a guess that there's 25 mark 5hd returned for every nf nxs/nx8/atacr. I'd also guess many defective scopes just get sold on down the line and people switch brands.

I'll take this one Alex- sent many scopes to leupold for issues. Final straw was a mil based mk5hd that crapped out. Leupold fixed the erectors but their tracking test was done in moa? Now I'm stuck with this scope I'm not sure leupold fixed it.

I'd wager a guess that there's 25 mark 5hd returned for every nf nxs/nx8/atacr. I'd also guess many defective scopes just get sold on down the line and people switch brands.

But you still don’t have any data. Just a wager based on what? I’m not bashing any of them. I think they’re all good with a few bad lemons. The data that really needs compared is how many scopes does each company sell and how many are returned. Good luck getting that data from either manufacture.

Frank Galli (Snipershide) and Marc Taylor (coinstructor) have been collecting some interesting scope tracking data, during their precision rifle courses, from student rifles.

Gone4Days

WKR
You must have that data handy. What’s the rate of return for each product run of each scope model from Leupold and Nightforce? Of those returns, what percent didn’t have any problem, what percentage was attributable to user error, and what percent was product malfunction? What’s the breakdown of product malfunctions?

…..or….are you just regurgitating what you’ve read/heard without any actual facts…..
nope only 10 years as Firearms Instructor, and range master of a LE agency of 400 sworn officers.

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR

Testing and evaluation for several scopes for use with SWAT team. I’ll just say this… our agency uses NF optics and trust me it’s not due to name or price because our agency looks for ANY reason to save money.

Gone4Days

WKR
Don’t ‘just say’ that, man. If you’ve got relevant info, then please share it. Give us specifics of the standards, procedures, scopes used, outcomes, etc etc etc.
You think i’m going to take time out of my day to compile the data into a report for you? lol. I couldn’t care less if the op buys a leupold or NF. I have better things to do with my time. Buy what you want. I’m just giving him my opinion. Why don’t you do the OP a favor and post all your testing data? That would be nice of you.

If you want more info check out @Formidilosus many posts on the subject

…….. I am open to other options in the 1000 ish range if i am skipping a potentially better optic that I am in aware of…….

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks!
Based on first hand ownership experience…., take a look at the Zeiss V4 4-16 x 44mm, or 50mm. Both 2FP. Price is competitive. Weight is good/favorable by comparison to your other three considerations. Glass is very good. Dial up is spot on & zero stop is solid. Dial up 1/4 MOA “clicks” are appropriately tensioned and reassuring. Aesthetically looks good. Consider the ZMOAi T30 reticle and don’t get too overwhelmed that it is too much. It isn’t. Straight forward & intuitive once you have spent a little time behind it at a range, and it especially is quick & easy if you are shooting long range targets/steel for fun or practice and have someone making wind calls for you. Illumination is center only & intensity is adjustable with comfortable feel of the indexed levels on the parallax knob. Lastly, Cabela’s carries it and the V4 6-24 x 50.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
But you still don’t have any data. Just a wager based on what? I’m not bashing any of them. I think they’re all good with a few bad lemons. The data that really needs compared is how many scopes does each company sell and how many are returned. Good luck getting that data from either manufacture.
There's plenty of data out there, it's all over the place. People are choosing to ignore it since its not in a neat tidy pdf file published by the fbi ballistics lab.

Any idiot could sus out that per 100 scopes sold more leupolds are sent back for repair than nightforce solely due to the construction. Nightforce built a reputation on durability, leupold on lightweight scopes with light transmission and lens coatings.

I used to defend Leupold every chance I had. You can go back and look at my previous posts. I had a VX6HD 4-24x52 that kept losing zero every time I traveled. I got tired of checking and rezeroing. Its ridiculous that it was an issue. Does nightforce have problems, you bet - I want Leupold to get their crap together, their glass is amazing, I am not throwing any more money at them.

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
I was just in a similar situation deciding between the VX5 and a NXS compact 2.5-10. Went with the VX5 for weight and glass quality. This was a lightweight build making choice easier. If you live one the range go with the NXS and dial away. If you call the mountain your home do yourself a favor and make a light handy rifle.