Help with scope questions. SHV & VX5

amassi

WKR
A lot of Leupold bashing is Internet forum herd mentality.
A lot of defenders have an emotional attachment to a brand. Maybe even nostalgic emotion which is so deeply rooted in your soul you are blinded by reality.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

A lot of defenders have an emotional attachment to a brand. Maybe even nostalgic emotion which is so deeply rooted in your soul you are blinded by reality.

i was that way for a long time, they offer attractive specs and glass, and they were local to my state, and that's the type of businesses i like to support when possible, but i'm over that phase and don't think i could trust any of their scopes moving forward.... maybe they build, or will build a reliable scope, but i'll never know....

knowing there are scopes far more likely to hold zero through tough use, that has become priority 1... piece of mind is so valuable when shooting, when that's questioned, it robs some of that confidence

I've got 3 Leupold scopes, 1 of which is a VX-5. If the prices had not gone thru the roof, I'd have bought another one for my new Weatherby, instead I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a Zeiss. I don't depend on my hunting rifles to pay the bills, or defend my life. I also don't do alot of dialing for the hunting I do. I said all that to make the point that I am certainly not at all a "fanboy" of any particular brand...but for my hunting rifles I have no problem Leupold and the VX5 glass is some of the best I've ever looked thru.

Obviously a budget plays a big part in someone’s purchase, but what does the shv do that the vx5 doesn’t. From what little I’ve found, there’s about a $300 difference in the f1 and the vx5 at midwayusa. The vx5 and sfp shv are roughly the same price. The last vx5 I bought I gave around $725 new. I shopped around and got the best deal I could find. I don’t know how much one could save on a nightforce tho. The one thing with the shv f1, I’m not really a fan Christmas tree reticles. That’s a strike. 56mm is awfully big on a hunting rifle. It’s bulky, and I’ve yet to wish I had more objective while hunting. Strike 2. NF is also heavier, but I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing. What I’ve found is sometimes that’s means the internals are made with better material. Might not always be true. At some point I’ll probably purchase a NF. But the 2 vx5s I have have been flawless. I also own a few vortex scopes as well, so there’s that.

amassi

WKR
i was that way for a long time, they offer attractive specs and glass, and they were local to my state, and that's the type of businesses i like to support when possible, but i'm over that phase and don't think i could trust any of their scopes moving forward.... maybe they build, or will build a reliable scope, but i'll never know....

knowing there are scopes far more likely to hold zero through tough use, that has become priority 1... piece of mind is so valuable when shooting, when that's questioned, it robs some of that confidence
Same for me, I learned to shoot with leupold scopes. Killed my first everything with a 70s Era 3-9 variable. I tried to get the mark 4, mark 6, vx5hd, vx6hd and mark 5 to work and they all left a margin of doubt that is easily erased with other brands.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
But it does do those things just fine

My supposition is that your version of “hold zero and work correctly”, and my version are not the same.

The couple dozen I’ve seen and used haven’t. Not one VX5 has made it past 400 rounds without losing zero at least once. Nor, would any of them stay zeroed if taking a side impact.

My supposition is that your version of “hold zero and work correctly”, and my version are not the same.

The couple dozen I’ve seen and used haven’t. Not one VX5 has made it past 400 rounds without losing zero at least once. Nor, would any of them stay zeroed if taking a side impact.
Like normal use or abusing the crap out of them. Either of mine have probably 400 shots minimum and not an ounce of trouble. So yes, they are holding zero just fine.

The only time I’ve been overly concerned with a scope not holding zero was the time I had a rifle in a Caldwell fieldpod. For whatever reason it decided to tip and body slammed the Nikon in the ground. It was still zeroed just fine. Shame they quit making those scopes.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Either of mine have probably 400 shots minimum and not an ounce of trouble. So yes, they are holding zero just fine.

Can you explain how you zero your scope- number of rounds per group, distance, target, etc; pictures of the groups or zero check over time would be good if you have them?

Can you explain how you zero your scope- number of rounds per group, distance, target, etc; pictures of the groups or zero check over time would be good if you have them?
Depending on rifle, minimum 3 shot groups. I prefer 5 shot groups and up. With todays component prices and lack there of I’ve been sticking to 3 shots unless I find something that truly interests me. Shots are at I think 93 yards. One scope is roughly a year old. Mostly done load development but have took it out to about 475 yards. Other scope I bought used so I don’t know how old it is. I’ve had 3 or 4 years now. Multiple 3 and 5 shot groups. Zero is checked multiple times a year. Can’t say I have any pictures of zero checks. Just pictures of various load development.

Same for me, I learned to shoot with leupold scopes. Killed my first everything with a 70s Era 3-9 variable. I tried to get the mark 4, mark 6, vx5hd, vx6hd and mark 5 to work and they all left a margin of doubt that is easily erased with other brands.

I got to the point of denial I just figured it must be different ammo shooting a little different 😂

I knew the cds system was unreliable for a long time, but thought the set and forget were ok… it was quite an epiphany finding out most scopes just suck considering my experience

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Depending on rifle, minimum 3 shot groups. I prefer 5 shot groups and up. With todays component prices and lack there of I’ve been sticking to 3 shots unless I find something that truly interests me. Shots are at I think 93 yards.

Do you zero dead on at 100 (93y), or an inch or two high, etc?

I don’t doubt that there are better made, more reliable scopes than the Leupold brand but I sight/check my VX III, VX3 and VX3i scopes at the beginning of season mounted on A-Bolt 308, Tikka 7RM and Browning HCS 300 WM respectively and kill what I shoot at. Never felt under scoped and always felt confident. I am 65 years old and will continue to use the Leupolds until they let me down. I don’t shoot 1000 yards but have several kills beyond 300 with the furtherest being 528 yards. Not a fanboy but will stick with what has worked for me. To each his own.

In general, if a person’s experience with a scope is to get their hunting rifle zeroed and then take it hunting. Typically shooting less than 40 rounds per year. Then their perspective is based primarily on hearsay and emotion. It appears to me, the overwhelming majority of hunters fit into this category.