help with skull cap

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
can anyone provide a suggestion on a good skull cap cover for an elk. everthing i look up online only shows results for deer. all i have is the cap i didn't keep the whole skull for a european mount. i could just make something just seeing if anyone had any suggestions. thanks

DWarcher

WKR
I've got an older set I need to mount too so I'm interseted in seeing what people have been using. I prefer to create my own plaque so I'm really looking at the process for the mount/cover.

You can create your own cover by
cutting a piece of plywood roughly the same size as the skull plate
Screw the plywood to the back of the skull
Use super glue to attach quilt/craft batting to the skull....create whatever shape you desire with the quilt/craft batting.
Cover batting with fabric of your choice, felt, leather, etc. and glue and staple it to the backside of the plywood.
Once you make the plaque you can screw thru the plaque into the plywood and your done.

DWarcher

WKR
You can create your own cover by
cutting a piece of plywood roughly the same size as the skull plate
Screw the plywood to the back of the skull
Use super glue to attach quilt/craft batting to the skull....create whatever shape you desire with the quilt/craft batting.
Cover batting with fabric of your choice, felt, leather, etc. and glue and staple it to the backside of the plywood.
Once you make the plaque you can screw thru the plaque into the plywood and your done.

Good deal...thanks for the info!

Straight6

FNG
You can buy the foam forms in different sizes from any of the taxidermy supply companies, Mckenzie, Research Mannikans, etc... They all have a large size for elk antlers, $8-9 for on form. They also have replacement skull caps you can attach sheds to. Just drill 4 holes in the skull cap, srew into the plywood on the foam form, get some paper mache' and fill in the gaps around the skull cap. Then follow what Backpack Hunter said with covering it. If you use leather, make sure it is soft enough to work and stretch, don't use the thick leather they use for some crafts and stuff, not plyable enough.

Straight6

FNG
Or if you want a european mount you buy one of the fake skulls and attach to them, some of the new ones look really good. Mckenzie has a few that they sell, more expensive though, $75-95 for them usually. Mountain Mikes Replicas also sells them.

DirtyD

FNG
View attachment 5066

I make my own by using the foam insulation in a can (Home Depot or Lowes).

1. Start by cutting out a piece of scrap wood approx. the size you want the "foamed" portion to be, screw the scrap into the back of the skull cap.
2. Make sure to put down a large piece of cardboard to catch any mess & start spraying the foam working from the base up, go slow as the foam expands and you can make a big mess if your not careful. I would also recommend masking off the antlers so any overflow stays off of them.
3. Allow the foam to dry overnight. Using a rasp, file to desired shape. The foam is easy to work with and this goes quick.
4. Find any fabric that suits your taste, I've used leather and felt, I've got buddies that use old blue jeans or Carhartts, whatever look your going for. Start stretching the fabric around to the back piece of scrap wood and fasten with a wood stapler. Take you time, you'll need to carefully work around where the antlers stick out.
5. To dress it up I normally make another "shield" piece to fasten the scarp piece to.

Hope this helps.

Heres a bull I did buy using the $8 skull domes available threw Research or Mckenzie taxidermy supply. Like said earlier you need to use supple leather and also do relief cuts before stapling or hot glueing to the bottom of the dome. I prefer to use hot glue rather than staples. For filling in the voids I use bondo, or a plaster paris mix. Good luck!
IMG_1731_zpsc8f76c64.jpg

DWarcher

WKR
Heres a bull I did buy using the $8 skull domes available threw Research or Mckenzie taxidermy supply. Like said earlier you need to use supple leather and also do relief cuts before stapling or hot glueing to the bottom of the dome. I prefer to use hot glue rather than staples. For filling in the voids I use bondo, or a plaster paris mix. Good luck!
IMG_1731_zpsc8f76c64.jpg

Great looking mount...what size of form and panel did you order?

I believe the form was a large Elk form, and the Panel size I believe was something like 18x12ish.... Ive got a bunch other pics of panel mounts Ive done but they are pretty embarrising on round I was back then, so I not posting them LOL

Rocky

WKR
I would not order any pre-made thing. I make my own. Materials required are a scrape sheet of ply wood, foam, fix all, worm bedding, the plague, and leather.

OP
dbaker

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
i ordered some material from Van Dykes and it came a little dinged up. Nothing beyond repair but i called them and the shipped the same items again free of charg without needing the damaged stuff sent back. Great customer service.

Rocky, the problem with making your own foam domes is by the time you get all the stuff together to make them, you have about just a guess but probably $30 into them, then the time to make them. At $6 a pop I'm money ahead and time wise ahead to just buy premade. I suppose if I was retired and had more time that would be the way to go thou... Usually have up to 50 horns mounts a winter to do so I just don't want the hassle.