Help with spotting scope

Badseed

WKR
Unfortunately its a long drive for me to find a shop where i can test out optics so I am hoping to get users input to help make the best choice I can initially. I am looking at purchasing my first spotting scope to work along with my 10x42 trinovids. This would be an addition to my gear for california mule hunts and the first of hopefully many idaho elk hunts. With the sale sportsmans is offering on the gen 1 razor 20-60x85 I am very tempted to jump on that but I have had more than one person tell me to check out the athlon ares 15-45x65 instead including Doug at cameraland. The 85 objective on the razor is probably a bit much but once again its a lot of scope for the price. The 65 objective is probably more in line with what I need/want. Has anybody compared the two or at least used them to have an opinion? I know is all subjective to peoples eye but generally speaking most people can identify better glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forest

WKR
The meostar s2 is far and above the best value in spotters that I have owned or looked through. Can pick up used ones for pretty decent prices if you are patient

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
While I can't speak on their product, I can speak on the Razor HD. The Gen I is still a fantastic option, but it really comes down to application. If you are looking for a lighter weight option you may want to look at something like a 65 mm objective or my personal favorite the Razor HD 11-33x50.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I talked with cameraland today and was steered towards Athlon with my price point. There are obviously better optics but at the $600 mark the Ares seem like the ticket. I have had a few PMs from people with photos through both scopes and I agree the Ares seems likes the best bang for your buck at that price. I have yet to see a negative review on the Ares spotter.

ZackP

WKR
Razor 85 Gen 1 accepts some Swaro eyepieces so keep that in mind.

Ares 65 next a Razor 65 I would take the Ares all day. I preferred everything about the Ares including glass. Yes that’s with personal experience with both.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I talked with cameraland today and was steered towards Athlon with my price point. There are obviously better optics but at the $600 mark the Ares seem like the ticket. I have had a few PMs from people with photos through both scopes and I agree the Ares seems likes the best bang for your buck at that price. I have yet to see a negative review on the Ares spotter.

Take a look at the reviews on here for the maven spotting scope. That’s the direction I’m leaning after reading others reviews on here. There was a used one in the classifieds the other day as well

Deadfall

WKR
Unfortunately its a long drive for me to find a shop where i can test out optics so I am hoping to get users input to help make the best choice I can initially. I am looking at purchasing my first spotting scope to work along with my 10x42 trinovids. This would be an addition to my gear for california mule hunts and the first of hopefully many idaho elk hunts. With the sale sportsmans is offering on the gen 1 razor 20-60x85 I am very tempted to jump on that but I have had more than one person tell me to check out the athlon ares 15-45x65 instead including Doug at cameraland. The 85 objective on the razor is probably a bit much but once again its a lot of scope for the price. The 65 objective is probably more in line with what I need/want. Has anybody compared the two or at least used them to have an opinion? I know is all subjective to peoples eye but generally speaking most people can identify better glass.

Personally I would get anything that's not vortex. I have the razor in 85mm. This last season I set side by side with one of my hunters who wa running the 65mm. Huge difference. I picked out a bedded bull moose in aspens a touch over mile away. Could count tines with the 85. Could barely see it with the 65 much count tines.

When looking for a spotter I fell for the listening to salesman trick. I hate my vortex spotter and binos.
Leupold is right in same class price wise. The leupold santiam are night and day better.

I'm buying the leupold sx5 this spring. Will probably donate the vortex spotter to something as noone wants to buy it.

Vortex is junk!