Help with trad arrows and bows

Kai Truax

WKR
I’m looking to get into shooting a recurve. I’ve seen some guys recommend the samick sage recurve bow so I’m pretty settled on that. What do you guys think of that bow? Next question arrows I shoot a compound currently and I shoot easton axis arrows. They make a trad version of that are they any good? Third what spine should I get? And what should my insert and field tip be? Next do you guys use a finger tab or 3 finger glove? I shoot a compound currently I shoot 60 pounds and 26” draw. I was thinking 30-35 pound limbs what are your thoughts? Also not planning on hunting with this. Thanks.

Beendare

WKR
Not hunting...only target?

IMO.
What you want is a cheap light bow to learn good form on. Typically a sage is a decent option there are many others in the three Rivers catalog or you can buy used on AT classifieds. You can usually sell one of these bows for 80% of what you paid so you don’t lose much.

if it’s a dedicated target bow, I would opt for a cheap metal riser in the 21 inch to 25 inch range.... then buy some cheap $60-$80 limbs. There are many good reasons why target archers use a longer bow. Some choose to buy a good ILF riser they can build on, then progress to the more expensive limbs as you advance.

I shoot an ILF riser for hunting/ tourneys; for the incredible shooting, versatility and the mix and match combinations. Its a good option for a beginner.

30-35# is good to learn on currently you’re only holding half of that at full draw with a 70 pound compound. You will move up quickly.

Arrow spine is much more critical with a trad bow. Stu Miller calculator will get you in the ballpark, but when you are more advanced...you will need to fine tune these with tip weight amd arrow length to get perfect.
I would just start with some cheap arrows and not worry so much about the tune At first. It’s difficult to tune when your form is all over the place.

Experiment with different aiming systems, split or 3 under, tab or glove To see what you prefer.

Stickbows brought back the fun of bowhunting and archery for me....

_________

Last edited:
OP
Kai Truax

Kai Truax

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I guess I’m not going to shoot only target I’ll eventually hunt with it when I’m accurate at 20-25 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I guess I’m not going to shoot only target I’ll eventually hunt with it when I’m accurate at 20-25 yards

You have lots of different equipment options...the tenants are the same- its all about proper alignment and developing good form. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

OP
Kai Truax

Kai Truax

WKR
Totally agree same thing with shooting a compound. I’ll be sure to contact you if I have any questions.