Help with Tripod heads

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I recently acquired first spotter and tripod. Vortex Razor 65mm and the Promaster 525. But I have a problem. I don't know sh*t about tripod heads / plates, etc. Adjusting the stock head seems like a pain in the ass.

I am looking for something easy to swap between spotter / binos if I choose, and also that could hold a pic rail if I put one on front of rifle. Does such a system exist?

Ive searched the threads and not seen this specific discussion, so please point me in the right direction if this is already out there. TIA.

What is your budget?

I prefer a pan head over a ball head for glassing. Ball heads are better for shooting. There is tons of information out their on the pro and con of pan heads versus ball heads so I won't go in to it.

For pan/fluid heads people seem to like the Sirui VA-5, Benro S2, manfrotto, and outdoorsmans heads. For Ball heads Really Right Stuff (RRS) makes great ones.

Depending on which head you get will dictate what plate is required. ARCA Swiss is what I would lean towards and you can even have ARCA on your firearm. If you absolutely need to use a Picatinny rail on your gun RRS makes a clamp that is both ARCA and Picatinny in their SOAR lineup.

It sounds like the next step is to decide which attachment system to use. Arca Swiss is the most common so if you're not sure which roles you may end up using the tripod for, I would urge you to head that direction. On the other hand, if you know exactly what you want to do with it, you may find a proprietary system out there to do it in a more streamlined fashion. Outdoorsman's head, plates, and bino adaptor, for example, is a great lightweight set up for a midweight spotter and bino.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know the RRS heads work for Arca Swiss and a pic rail, but they are very expensive. You could also just get a sirui VA5 panhead. On the cheaper side and I absolutely love mine! I also make arca mounts so you could mount your rifle into any tripod head. Outdoorsmans makes nice Tripod heads also, but they are pricey

I’m interested to know if anyone knows any tripod heads that work with pic and arca.

I have the promaster xc525 and really like it. The ball head that comes with it isn’t great, and it’s super heavy.

gexpro

WKR
Look no further, get the Sirui VA5 Panhead, Gohunt has a great tripod/fluid head combo..
I recently picked one up and was blown away at how good of quality it is, the VA5 is so dang smooth.

Put all arcaswiss mounts on your optics and get out there!

Amasaback

FNG
I just order one from SandS Archery. 10% off with rokslide code. Super pleased. I now have 2. Learned something today about them I didn’t know. I have always found the arca plate adjustment a bit loose. You can pull the tightening lever out and rotate to get more space to tighten. Works great.

shawn30

FNG
I just went through the same thing, and contacted the guys at S&S. Super helpful and the tripod head they suggested is like buttah. They have aRokslide discount too

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey all, I recently acquired first spotter and tripod. Vortex Razor 65mm and the Promaster 525. But I have a problem. I don't know sh*t about tripod heads / plates, etc. Adjusting the stock head seems like a pain in the ass.

I am looking for something easy to swap between spotter / binos if I choose, and also that could hold a pic rail if I put one on front of rifle. Does such a system exist?

Ive searched the threads and not seen this specific discussion, so please point me in the right direction if this is already out there. TIA.

Really right stuff anvil 30 head does this - has combo clamp that works on Arca Swiss plates and picatinny. The head is ROCK solid and will handle any rifle you wanna clamp in no problem. They’re not cheap running more than most nice tripod and head combos for the head alone.

I have several in our inventory you can rent to try out and buy if you like it. We will give you up to 7 days rental toward purchase. I can mount them on other tripods, but I’d recommend the RRS tripods also.

I have disliked glassing with most ball heads, but this one is so easy to coNT rok and locks up so solid - It just works extremely well as an all around hunting tripod head.

Coop
Rent Guns and Gear
www.RgunsNgear.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: