Help with tripod set up

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm looking at getting some good glass and a tripod. Was wanting to start with binos and get a spotter next year. The attachments for optics to go on a tripod confuses the hell out of me. What's a reasonably priced set up that will eventually allow me to swap a spotter and binos on the fly without changing my field of view?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am wondering the same thing! The only difference is that I am two years ahead of you. I bought the outdoorsman medium tripod with the micro head. Running 12x50 el and stx65. Pan and tilt, both, are a bit too jerky. Feels cheap! but, it wasn't!!! With that, I am seeking an upgrade so, I will be interested in other's recs!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am wondering the same thing! The only difference is that I am two years ahead of you. I bought the outdoorsman medium tripod with the micro head. Running 12x50 el and stx65. Pan and tilt, both, are a bit too jerky. Feels cheap! but, it wasn't!!! With that, I am seeking an upgrade so, I will be interested in other's recs!
It takes some fiddling to get the sweet spot where it isn't jerky, at least with the regular pan head. A fluid head is gonna be the smoothest, but quite a bit heavier.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It takes some fiddling to get the sweet spot where it isn't jerky, at least with the regular pan head. A fluid head is gonna be the smoothest, but quite a bit heavier.

Thank you very much! Since gabenzeke and I are both looking for the same result. I am tired of fiddling! I have been debating a fluid head purchase but, didn't need another pricy experiment! Ha! If weight and price weren't a major concern, what would be a "great" model to purchase?

I guess I'm not exactly certain what you are asking, so forgive me if this isn't what you are looking for.. If you get a tripod (any tripod really), and it has a panhead on it (whether you use the one that comes on it or purchase another). The panheads have quick release plates. You take a quick release plate and attach it to your spotting scope, and then take another quick release plate and attach it to a bino adapter. You then attach your binos to that. When you want to switch to your spotter, you disconnect your binos, take that QR plate off, and clip your spotter in.

Does that answer your question?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I guess I'm not exactly certain what you are asking, so forgive me if this isn't what you are looking for.. If you get a tripod (any tripod really), and it has a panhead on it (whether you use the one that comes on it or purchase another). The panheads have quick release plates. You take a quick release plate and attach it to your spotting scope, and then take another quick release plate and attach it to a bino adapter. You then attach your binos to that. When you want to switch to your spotter, you disconnect your binos, take that QR plate off, and clip your spotter in.

Does that answer your question?
Exactly.

2 quick release plates and you're good to go

Since you bought an expensive tripod and head I'm surprised that you're disappointed. Maybe if you bought cheap stuff first (like I did) you'd be more impressed. My first tripod was a Vortex and it cost $100 or so. When I set up the glass and tightened the head it would droop. So I had to set the bino or spotter so that the deer was the very bottom of the view, then when I tightened it and let go then the deer would be in the center.

Now I've got a Promaster tripod (from Cameraland) with an Outdoorsmans Micro head and I think it's fantastic. I don't ever intend to upgrade.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Sirui VA-5 gets some pretty good reviews. Multiple plates is a given with any setup. The fluid head will pan smoother, but it's going to be almost a pound heavier than the Micro pan head you have now. To get easiest results, a separate adapter plate for your binos and spotter, and a straight spotter. That's the easiest. You can do it with an angled, you just have to figure out your system for getting on target after you switch from binos.

Since you bought an expensive tripod and head I'm surprised that you're disappointed. Maybe if you bought cheap stuff first (like I did) you'd be more impressed. My first tripod was a Vortex and it cost $100 or so. When I set up the glass and tightened the head it would droop. So I had to set the bino or spotter so that the deer was the very bottom of the view, then when I tightened it and let go then the deer would be in the center.

Now I've got a Promaster tripod (from Cameraland) with an Outdoorsmans Micro head and I think it's fantastic. I don't ever intend to upgrade.
Ha! You are probably right about going all in right out of the gate! I figure you get what you pay for most times! I will say those guys at Outdoorsmans are first class but, I didn't know what I wanted, to be honest! I had a malfunction and they overnighted another head-no charge between hunts!

I am having the same problems you described about having to compensate for the droop! I was with a guy in NM who had a Swarovski head that performed much better but, wow! They are expensive! I am not opposed to purchasing a Swarovski but, thought I might find another recommendation or option on here.
thank you kindly for your reply

The Sirui VA-5 gets some pretty good reviews. Multiple plates is a given with any setup. The fluid head will pan smoother, but it's going to be almost a pound heavier than the Micro pan head you have now. To get easiest results, a separate adapter plate for your binos and spotter, and a straight spotter. That's the easiest. You can do it with an angled, you just have to figure out your system for getting on target after you switch from binos.

Thank you! I will check out the sirui va-5! I am running the outdoorsmans quick connect thingers! They are nice!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thank you! I will check out the sirui va-5! I am running the outdoorsmans quick connect thingers! They are nice!
I went with the regular pan head from Outdoorsmans. Debated on the micro but glad I went with the regular. Their Jim White head is arca plate compatible. Something to think about.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
So what attachments do I need? Do I get duplicates so a spotter and binos can be interchangeable?

Napperm4

WKR
So what attachments do I need? Do I get duplicates so a spotter and binos can be interchangeable?

Firstly you’ll need to get a head for your tripod that’s compatible with quick release plates (not a cheap Bushell or the Walmart special of the week)

Once you know the head you’ve chosen you will need at least 2 shoes / adapter plates.

There are lots of different options on the market. Some are arca Swiss compatible which is a standard made by many different companies.

Others are unique to a specific tripod head.

For the binoculars you will need some way of mounting them to the quick release shoe. My personal choice is the outdoorsman’s tall bino post. It is out of the box compatible with their heads or accepts any manufacturers shoe with an industry standard 1/4-20 thread. You also need to purchase a stud for your binoculars with the post

Other options are field optics research and vortex unidaptor.

If your binos aren’t threaded to accept a stud from one of these - look up outdoorsman’s bino hand or Leica stabilite.

Lots of different options out there and a quite a few configurations