Help with Wyoming Archery

I think we're burning our points in Colorado this year on a RFW tag and I have a real problem with the idea of not hunting bulls during archery season. (I'm not much of a rifle hunter but RFW looks like the best odds of filling the freezer and getting rid of Colorado points so I can hunt the unit I want next year).

I have 4 points in Wyoming but I'm having a hard time navigating their draw process. Type 1-10 and general vs special.... I have 10 days to hunt mid September with a bow. Not looking for anything that requires a guide and not even looking for a trophy, just good numbers with decent odds at calling in a bull. Not too concerned with grizzlies or wolves but would love to avoid people. We normally hunt OTC DIY in Colorado and aren't afraid to put in the miles. Anyone care to share a little insight?

Apply for a general tag and you have a large percentage of units in the state to choose from. Even general units in Wyoming have solid odds at calling in a bull if you know what you're doing. You could either apply regular or special draw. Last year 4 points got you drawn in either the regular or special pool, but no telling what point creep will be this year.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Get a General tag. Buy the Archery permit and go hunt. Some units roll right into rifle the day after archery.

Laramie

WKR
4 points will not draw a general region tag in the regular unless you choose the east region that nobody will want. You will need to spend 2k on the special to draw the other regions.

Backyard

WKR
4 points will not draw a general region tag in the regular unless you choose the east region that nobody will want. You will need to spend 2k on the special to draw the other regions.
I'm not calling you out here, serious questions only.

Are you certain that 4pts won't draw? Or are you speculating?
If you are certain, from what information are you referencing? I can find nothing in the WYO F&G website that tells me anything about draw odds for this coming year, or even last year for that matter.

I also have 4pts, and my age dictates that I have 1 good archery hunt left. I'm done with Col. (20+yrs) I'm hoping to draw Wyo. in 2024. Any help figuring this out is appreciated.

Laramie

WKR

If you are certain, from what information are you referencing? I can find nothing in the WYO F&G website that tells me anything about draw odds for this coming year, or even last year for that matter.

I also have 4pts, and my age dictates that I have 1 good archery hunt left. I'm done with Col. (20+yrs) I'm hoping to draw Wyo. in 2024. Any help figuring this out is appreciated.
4 points wasn't a guarantee last year when it was statewide and special prices were "normal". Now special is 2k which will drive some into the regular pool. On top of that, by going to regions we are going to see a jump in points required for the two desirable areas, South & West.

No, there isn't anything on the site predicting next year's odds because they are impossible to predict exactly. Last year's odds are on the site under the draw odds tab.

You still have a chance to draw in the random.

S.Clancy

WKR

4pts was 8% for 2023.

Backyard

WKR
4 points wasn't a guarantee last year when it was statewide and special prices were "normal". Now special is 2k which will drive some into the regular pool. On top of that, by going to regions we are going to see a jump in points required for the two desirable areas, South & West.

No, there isn't anything on the site predicting next year's odds because they are impossible to predict exactly. Last year's odds are on the site under the draw odds tab.

You still have a chance to draw in the random.
Thanks, I finally found everything. Including the new NR region map, I just needed to keep clicking.

wapitibob

WKR
Quite the conundrum in 2024.
Gamble and maybe not get a tag at $700 and 4 points, or assume it's a lock with 4+ and $1965. Which may compel some to spend the addl money and will jack the odds for Special as well.

I predict we see the same outcome as previous price increases.