Help with Wyoming Preference Points and Draw

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I've been building points in Wyoming for 6 years now, and I finally have enough points to draw the antelope unit I want next year. Through research, I have discovered that this area also has a mule deer hunt that coincides with the antelope hunt. The mule deer hunt appears to be drawn with as little as 0 preference points. I would love to hunt deer along with the antelope hunt, if possible. However I have 6 points for deer, and don't want to use 6 points on a unit that doesn't need any points to draw. I've never officially put in for any hunts yet in Wyoming, so I'm still unclear how the Draw works 100%. If I understand things correctly, you only lose points if you draw with your first choice correct? So if I were to put in a really hard unit as my first choice, and the unit I really want as my second choice, in theory I could possibly get the second choice without losing any of my preference points? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

wapitibob

WKR
That will work, provided you can draw the deer hunt as a 2nd choice. Look at the random draw odds, regular or special draw, deduct the remaining 1st choice apps and their tags from the random quota, and then compare the quota that remains for 2nd choice and the number of 2nd choice apps.

johnsd16

WKR
My advice would be just to focus on the pronghorn it burning 6 points. If you are pressing the pronghorn hunt at all to chase down a deer in a 0 point unit that’s a waste of time. Go on a good pronghorn hunt and try to do the best you can. If you want to go to your prospective deer unit before using those points, try for a doe deer or foe pronghorn tag before putting in for the buck tag. Just something to else to consider.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses everyone. After looking at the draw odds, it'll be very unlikely to draw as a second choice. So I'm going to take the advice of johnsd16, and just focus on making it a quality antelope hunt. Thanks again.

Check out some doe tags. We always grab a couple so we can stack a few critters for meat.

turfking

FNG
I am falling into this next year. So in Colorado you can put a preference point code first your your application. Then list the units you want to hunt, securing a point.
Does Wyoming have this option or do you have to put in for a unit the first choice?

turfking

FNG
Yes, I do that each year. I just didn't know if Wyoming allowed you to purchase the point as your first choice then apply for units.

jroot327

FNG
Great to know as I’m doing the same thing right now. Working on building elk and antelope points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk