HELP

I am just getting in to big game hunting, and I am looking to go next October for rifle Mule Deer hunting in south central Idaho. I live in southwest Idaho near Boise, so I'd prefer not to drive 4 hours to go hunting. I have heard that 36, 36B, and 43 are good units for Mule Deer, but I've also read that they aren't. I also cannot drive, and will be going with a buddy of mine who will be driving. I also am disabled and can't hike 5+ miles in the trees for a week straight. I plan on doing about 5 a day. I also can't ride a bike without stabilizing wheels. I approached him with the opportunity so I'd like to have as much details as possible and getting things ready to go early on.

I have a spot in 36B I'd like to check out, maybe one or two in 36...BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO EVEN TRAVEL INTO 43!!! THERE ARE NO MOTORIZED ROADS OR TRAILS INTO IT!!!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! Is 43 accessible? There's highway 20 to the south, but it doesn't go into 43. I believe HWY 75 is to the north, but same story. What units are good for Mule Deer? From what I've heard, Mule Deer isn't great because of the hard winter we had last year, but this winter should be warmer (Its 55 in Boise today....IN NOVEMBER). Any tips on where to go or how to hunt the units I mentioned? Anything and everything is greatly appreciated!!!

OP
C
You're not going to get any legitimate responses to those specific questions. Good luck.
In other words I'm on my own? The hunting community is very open and helpful...I would think people would help someone who's getting into hunting.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
In other words I'm on my own? The hunting community is very open and helpful...I would think people would help someone who's getting into hunting.
Yes and no. Lots of spots are getting burned in part from publicly posted information. Unlike a private Facebook group anyone can view this site. We recently made some rules against spot burning posts and ask for new members to contribute to our community which is more likely to make friends or have people share information. We strongly encourage specific information about units to be shared via pm. Hang out for awhile and make some substantial comments (not short lazy ones like “thanks”) to get your post count up so that you have access to the pm feature.

There's other folks that hunt the area's you're interested in and have a lot of time and effort invested in the places they hunt. They're not going to fork over any hard earned information.

Most guys in this community are very helpful but no one is going to burn their spot and blast the information all over the interwebs.

I have a spot in 36B I'd like to check out, maybe one or two in 36...BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO EVEN TRAVEL INTO 43!!! THERE ARE NO MOTORIZED ROADS OR TRAILS INTO IT!!!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! Is 43 accessible?

Good one

Also don’t let the fact it was 55 in Boise yesterday fool you. The snows in January-March are what is going to matter to the deer herds over the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk