Helping a pregnant lady kill an elk…

Hnthrdr

WKR
Good thing she isn't due during hunting season!

:ROFLMAO:
My first kiddo was born Aug 1. Been a struggle this archery season but the wife is a trooper, I get to hunt mornings or evenings for about 3 hours… definitely a change from having two weeks to backpack in, good call in not having your little one during the season

KsRancher

WKR
Sounds like some of you boys need to head on over to this thread and do some reading up!

And get your appointment scheduled. Just make sure you schedule it in the same year that last kid is born to cash in for free after hitting that deductible or max out of pocket!

Congrats on the baby, hope you can get your wife a nice bull before hand.
🤦‍♂️Don't remind me. I had mine scheduled. But found out the wife needed a hysterectomy before my vasectomy. So canceled that since the hysterectomy was was going to be a few months. And figured we would just use my vasectomy money to do the hysterectomy and kill 2 birds with one stone. NOPE, didn't quite work like that

Depending on how far on she is I'd perhaps not let her go.
5-7 months pregnant depending. If it's 7 there is no chance I'd let her.

I got two kids but we've had ten pregnancies.

Good luck to the three of you.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sounds like some of you boys need to head on over to this thread and do some reading up!

And get your appointment scheduled. Just make sure you schedule it in the same year that last kid is born to cash in for free after hitting that deductible or max out of pocket!

Congrats on the baby, hope you can get your wife a nice bull before hand.

Oh, I have a few stories on the vasectomy too. Wife wanted to watch, I said no...she was waiting for me with a cake that said "Snip, Snip, Hooray!"

Not to be a debbie-downer, but have you thought about the concerns with rifle recoil/concussion and the safety of the fetus? Just wondering if you have discussed it with her Doctor. I am a firearms instructor at the Sheriff's Dept range, and we won't allow pregnant deputies to requalify during their pregnancy out of concern for the fetus. Just a thought.
Unless of course she is bow hunting.

Northpark

WKR
As the father of two young ones this thread is gold. Reading it on my lunch break and laughing!

No help on the elk front but thoroughly enjoying where this thread went.🤣

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not to be a debbie-downer, but have you thought about the concerns with rifle recoil/concussion and the safety of the fetus? Just wondering if you have discussed it with her Doctor. I am a firearms instructor at the Sheriff's Dept range, and we won't allow pregnant deputies to requalify during their pregnancy out of concern for the fetus. Just a thought.
Unless of course she is bow hunting.
Yes. She’ll be shooting a suppressed 7saum with 135 CEB which recoil significantly less than the 180eldm I usually shoot. Recoil is minimal and concussion is low due to the suppressor as well. She’ll be bundled up with multiple layers too which will help muffle anything. I’m more concerned about the elevation. Trying to get my hands on a side by side at this point. I think We’re going to do it like my grandpa liked to do it. Sitting on the road! Valid points!

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
My first was born on September 14th...I live in Wisconsin...and love elk hunting the rut with a bow, great planning lol.

But we'd been trying for quite a while and I was honestly stoked even if it meant I plan my trip around the middle of September. Little man won't be little forever and at some point he's going to kill a birthday bull for me.

Yes. She’ll be shooting a suppressed 7saum with 135 CEB which recoil significantly less than the 180eldm I usually shoot. Recoil is minimal and concussion is low due to the suppressor as well. She’ll be bundled up with multiple layers too which will help muffle anything. I’m more concerned about the elevation. Trying to get my hands on a side by side at this point. I think We’re going to do it like my grandpa liked to do it. Sitting on the road! Valid points!
Don't try to turn this thread back to elk hunting.... It spun out of control. You might as well start a different thread and hope classier folks respond before I find it.

I went archery elk hunting for the first time last week OTC Colorado. We hunted hard for 5 days but no luck. I got home and picked up my 5 year old daughter from school and she hugged me then asked, "Daddy, did you catch an elk???" I had to say no and she balled her eyes out the car ride home that I could not bring home fresh elk meat. Not going to lie, it hit pretty hard in a weird primal way that as a man I failed a hunt and my daughter was disappointed. Luckily we stopped at the store and I got her a Venison bar and she was ok...

sndmn11

WKR
Can we please have a list of "absolutely do nots" and "write down and read to yourself silently" words, and phrases?

I don't want to get in trouble when I say, "there's a fat cow", or "do you smell that?", Etc.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I recall my sister-in-law waterskiing up until the week gave birth. Doctor said any exercise you were doing before got pregnant is likely just fine during pregnant. Maybe not kickboxing. She played tennis a lot, too.

As for number of kids, I ended up with two. Could have had time for more though I wanted to try and deal each kid a solid hand to play the game of life. Some kids thrive when get helped financially so have more opportunity and some go off the rails. I grew up seeing friends thrive and dive.

Paid for my kids' college so they graduated not owing a dime and post-graduation I got them each a decent used car plus paid for the "lumpy" things need as start a career post-college such as new suits or tools. They saved up for the down payment on their first home by not needing to pay down student loans or car loans.

Not sure I could have done that amount of financial support if had more kids plus save for my retirement so not a burden on the kids as they are raising their kids and saving for their retirement. Not sure my choices made a difference but braces on the teeth were expensive etc and seems to make a difference in how do later in life and maybe boosts self-esteem. I do know coaching my kids with life lessons, being tough when they did dumb stuff, and quick with hugs and praise when they tried hard was more important than the braces.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I went archery elk hunting for the first time last week OTC Colorado. We hunted hard for 5 days but no luck. I got home and picked up my 5 year old daughter from school and she hugged me then asked, "Daddy, did you catch an elk???" I had to say no and she balled her eyes out the car ride home that I could not bring home fresh elk meat. Not going to lie, it hit pretty hard in a weird primal way that as a man I failed a hunt and my daughter was disappointed. Luckily we stopped at the store and I got her a Venison bar and she was ok...
Yeah, we have had a few of those in our house.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I recall my sister-in-law waterskiing up until the week gave birth. Doctor said any exercise you were doing before got pregnant is likely just fine during pregnant. Maybe not kickboxing. She played tennis a lot, too.

As for number of kids, I ended up with two. Could have had time for more though I wanted to try and deal each kid a solid hand to play the game of life. Some kids thrive when get helped financially so have more opportunity and some go off the rails. I grew up seeing friends thrive and dive.

Paid for my kids' college so they graduated not owing a dime and post-graduation I got them each a decent used car plus paid for the "lumpy" things need as start a career post-college such as new suits or tools. They saved up for the down payment on their first home by not needing to pay down student loans or car loans.

Not sure I could have done that amount of financial support if had more kids plus save for my retirement so not a burden on the kids as they are raising their kids and saving for their retirement. Not sure my choices made a difference but braces on the teeth were expensive etc and seems to make a difference in how do later in life and maybe boosts self-esteem. I do know coaching my kids with life lessons, being tough when they did dumb stuff, and quick with hugs and praise when they tried hard was more important than the braces.
Years ago I was a full time youth pastor. I started taking notes on the parenting styles and behaviors that churned out good kids. Teaching them how to use money as a tool rather than simply chasing it to have it/spend it was a big one. Money not owning us but rather us telling it what to do will be one we use as a way to help our kids.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR

Her doctor said the same thing. If you’re active before then be active during, just don’t overdue it. The “overdue” it part is where I need to be careful. I remember 2 years ago her waiting for me at the top of the incline. That hurt the ego but made me realize I should never doubt her ability to embarrass me on a mountain!