Helping New Hunters

How do you guys go about helping new hunters? I’ve had four people, either friends, friends kids, friends of family etc approach me recently about hunting with me. I’d love to play guide with all of them for a year but I don’t have time for everyone and I wanna hunt for myself a bit too. Around here hunting is sitting in a heated shack over corn. All these people asked for my help because I don’t do that. I’d like to help them I just don’t know how without giving up my spots or putting enough time into each of them to where they can get some benefit.

How would you guys handle this?
Being that I have a awesome pair of English Cocker Spaniels I love to go bird hunting and I help my friends who want to go with just day outings. If we get along good and they are truly eager then it expands from there.

WRM

WKR
I took my nephew to look at a bow on a Saturday (Bear $400 youth model). He told his mom that he needed to take off school on Monday so we could go "pick it up". Not so fast--I made a multi point list of the things I needed to see him improve in before I would even consider it. Went over that a couple times the next time he stayed with us. Mentioned that list a few days later when he was not adhering and I got a "what bow?" response. Granted, he's 8 in 2021, but he was on to the "next shiny thing" in his life.

WTFJohn

WKR
If they are people you can trust to not lop their finger off with a knife when you turn your back, try taking them once or twice to an area that is a little more popular (so they see why to keep quiet about good areas), don't make success too easy right out of the gate. Give them the basics and set them loose on their own; that's how most of us really learned even if we had a dad or other mentor teaching or 'taking' us.

I've helped 2-3 people per season take their first elk for the last few years, including two that were on their first ever hunt, and it has made me a better hunter. Having to describe the 'why' behind doing things (especially the basics) will reinforce them to you and crisp up your own knowledge.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In your spare time take them out, not to your spot, just out and show them other areas and explain how different game animals use certain ares and why. Explain the best times of day to be out and when you are just wasting your time, Like, no use in looking in an area that is barring of water and a food source. Teach them how to read certain signs game leave behind, game trails, rubs, browsing signs and other signs game animals are using a certain area. Or you can tell them go to hell.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
As a kid, though I rarely had anyone to take me, I was absorbed in all of it. Couldn't wait to get my hands on the new reg book when it came out or the new Remington catalog with ballistic charts. Never mind that it was unlikely at the time I'd get much, if any, opportunity to make use of any of it.
Exactly the type person we gotta try and help.

WRM

WKR
Season dates and how draws work are very important, you must make emphasis on this when they understand this in-depth it will save a lot more stress. In as much they're eager to learn I think you don't have to worry much if they will learn fast or not.

And then when they understand draws, ask them to explain them to me and keep me updated, please.

CJohnson

WKR
I wouldn’t give them any info on your spots. Give them some high level advice and let them pick their own spots. Then, go with them and see how it goes. Might be a good way to see some new ground and help out someone else.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t take them to any proven spots personally. Maybe check out new spots with them but it really blows to stumble onto a gem of a spot with someone who has a loud mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I wouldn’t take them to any proven spots personally. Maybe check out new spots with them but it really blows to stumble onto a gem of a spot with someone who has a loud mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or anyone who has a social media account.

TheGDog

WKR
#1 Don't knock video games!
Though they mess with socialization skills... (and fitness) they DO teach and train other skills. Such as terrain recognition and 3 dimensional spatial thinking and good-guy vs bad-guy recognition. And also it shows them persistence pays off. Die... try another tactic. Die again.. shoot! try yet another idea... Etc. Does this kid notice certain exploits about the game and make use of them?

Take them with you into some area that's new to you and that you've always been curious to check it out.

Maybe start with a session of looking at areas in Sattelite view?
Discuss with them traits you like to see in the lay of the land and why you think here or there might be worth checking out?

Are we even talking about people who even have the gear to be able to tag along yet?

Describe to them the kind of features you like to see/find in the area.

Describe to them how you would go about glassing an area you're focusing on that's new to you...
Based upon a spot you pick on the map. And discuss all the little things which might dictate how you might approach hunting THAT spot differently. Things like "Oh the trail/path to get you here doesn't have much shade cover, so we darn well better be hiking in pre-dawn so we don't die of heat." Stuff like that.

Also the pre-outing will give you a chance to observe how they handle a firearm while upon the trail. After taking a shot, do they automatically put the safety back on? What's their muzzle discipline like?

Are we talking about people who already know all the things like paying attention to the wind, knowing how the shadows will move during the day. Scent protocol.

Are they good at playing "the freeze game" and holding still when needed?

Is this a person that will be Ok with dealing with flying insects occasionally being all in their face while their on a sit?

Also... use the opportunity of them being young to school them on how they must guard their spots. Discuss all those etiquette things. If 1 harvests and 2 help carry it out, how much do you give the other party for their help? Have an agreement about stuff like that ahead of time. That's one I was very surprised about. I just figured if you helped me... that means I'd be beholden to heed your beckon call if you got lucky, but apparently no, usually folks kick down some of the take as a thank you.

Other things like, if taking a picture... making sure the cam is angled kinda downward so savvy people familiar with that area can't see any background objects for positional reference. Knowing to TURN OFF the feature that embeds location coords in JPG's. Picking up on... and knowing when... some "curious stranger" you meet at a trailhead that is "thinking about trying hunting" is either a vet hunter trying to be slick and ask you questions to get you to reveal WHERE up in there you go and WHERE up in there you've had success. OR... worse.. is some closet greenie that f**king hates hunters and is just trying to get info from you to then know how they can foil your efforts. (Yes... that DOES happen!) Teach them how to politely avoid answering those kinda questions directly.

Rules. If you showed them to a successful spot of yours, be sure to discuss the rules about them coming in there without you. Explicity! Explain if they share this info with anyone, without first clearing it with you... then the relationship all ends... IMMEDIATELY. And.. that if they go back in there, without letting you know? the relationship all ends... IMMEDIATELY. And... that you'll let everyone know they can't keep tight lips.

Ascertain if they are too much of a whiner up front. If so, no thanks.
Ascertain if they've been truly bitten with the desire to harvest one. Like do they understand and grasp all the work involved? Do they understand that you could potentially commit to many days in the field and STILL not harvest anything?

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have 4 people at work, a family friend's 12 year old kid, and my buddy's wife wanting to get into hunting. I have asked all of them why they want to get into it and what they want out of hunting and then compared them to my own morals and beliefs. The ones that closest align to mine have gotten priority. To see how serious they are let them know what they need before you even take them out such as Hunters Ed, getting a weapon, and practicing regularly. The ones that are serious follow through quickly. My buddy's wife got her Hunters Ed right away, got a turkey tag, patterned her shotgun and we were out chasing turkeys run and gun style within a couple weeks. Thought I had a Tom coming in on a string but he hung up and wouldn't close the last 100 yards. Worked him for over an hour and she was into it the entire time. Hoping to get her out for waterfowl this fall. The kid is next on the priority list.

def90

WKR
How do you guys go about helping new hunters? I’ve had four people, either friends, friends kids, friends of family etc approach me recently about hunting with me. I’d love to play guide with all of them for a year but I don’t have time for everyone and I wanna hunt for myself a bit too. Around here hunting is sitting in a heated shack over corn. All these people asked for my help because I don’t do that. I’d like to help them I just don’t know how without giving up my spots or putting enough time into each of them to where they can get some benefit.

How would you guys handle this?

Maybe go out for a beer and just discuss the basics, how to find a spot, what to look for in a spot, what to do once you think you found a spot.. Then let them find a spot and take you there, once there you can lead them through their spot and discuss things that make it a good spot or a bad spot. Discuss what tactics to use on their spot and how to employ those tactics and so on.. Lead them a little but also let them take the reigns and then make adjustments as needed.

Poser

WKR
When I lived in TN, I helped several new hunters get started. We’d go squirrel & rabbit hunting first and then I’d have then apply for a qouta hunt and we’d do that for deer hunting. Some of them had private land connections and we’d hunt those spots, most of which turned out to be quite good.

Out west, I’ve only helped one so far. I told him to buy a 3rd rifle tag and gave him various scouting assignments leading up to the season. He checked out a few spots, saw tracks, didn’t see tracks etc. the. Then It was, “pick me up at 3:30 am, don’t be late” he did everything I asked, so low he’s a hunting partner.

I don't mind taking youngsters out wherever I go. I was fortunate enough to have someone take me out when I was young and that made a huge difference for me. One thing to consider, it might look like someone isn't going to make it as a hunter, but kids' attention span for anything isn't much. Short, productive hunts (birds, squirrels or predators) are a good way to get them interested. Teach them fundamentals. How to start a campfire, how to read a map (not just a gps), outdoor ethics, stuff that goes beyond just hunting and can serve them all through life. If they are youngsters be a good role model. Someone that they can look up to. All youth could use that. One other thing to think about, the kid you teach today, maybe the same one that hauls you around when you are too old to do it yourself.

If your goal is to get them into hunting and stay in hunting, maybe start with squirrel hunting, maybe rabbits too or ducks/birds with a group of buds. That's my approach to see if they like hunting vs dreaming about a big antlered trophy. Squirrel hunting is a cheap and easy route with long seasons in most states. Bird/duck hunting to me is just plain fun with a group of friends. Deer hunting is a solo endeavor for me and I only take someone along if they really seem the time to commit to taking long walks in the woods carry a gun you may never use....

Moserkr

WKR
Ive had countless people want to big game hunt with me, its what I live for and all I really care to talk about (maybe fishing and business too).

90% of those who ask never follow through. I start by saying read the regs, get your hunters safety course done, and buy a tag. If you are serious, thats the least you can do.

Then, I will either take them out once to one of my C spots, or tell them to go hunt there alone. That weeds out the next 5%.

If all goes well, I will take em on another hunt to a B spot then, backpacking in. Its how i hunt, and see how they do. I dont mind taking complete beginners if they are as serious as me. After that, I will either part ways or continue to hunt with them. I have 1 great ride or die hunting buddy that made it this far from being a complete fng.

This year Im mentoring 2 high school aged boys who got into hunting through a neighbor. I actually sold them my old boat, we waterfowl hunted a few times, and they did all the planning They also took a nice speed goat on a youth tag. Taking them into one of my best spots for opener of archery and will be the guide. I get just as much enjoyment out of hunting just being the helper as I do being a hunter.

Another guy this year wants to hunt with me and my ride or die hunting buddy. Cool, he has been hunting solo, struggling, for three years. Fully geared, serious, great shape. Hoping we have a good team addition for future elk hunts. We have known him for years too, solid guy. Still, have to earn trust and respect. Will be taking him into a new area close to the honey holes that we always talk about exploring. Looking forward to a fun year!

Its tiring taking new people out but we owe it to our dying breed. Not everyone has the luxury of being taught by generations of hunters like I have been. I prefer to hunt solo and maybe do it once a year now. Is what it is. The few friends I have all hunt, and are some of the most outstanding people I have ever met. Wouldnt have it any other way.

Good luck with all the new hunters, and just hope out of a dozen, maybe one actually sticks with it. Thats what ive seen. Just dont hold their hand too much, its a tough love sport and not for everyone.

I don't think the onus is on you to show them spots or actually take them hunting. I'd probably:

1) Have them over to show them equipment (guns, does, etc., depending on what they think they want to do)
2) Tell them to get in a hunter safety course and pass it.
3) Offer to help them on equipment choices

and most important (and a strong indicator of whether they really want to, and will continue to hunt)

4) Tell them to spend a lot of time in the woods over the next year, looking for sign and finding deer (or whatever they think they want to hunt), maybe even offer to go do that with them once to show them how you look/scout.

Too many people think hunting is about showing up with a gun and killing something. They need to be willing to put in the time to understand how and where to find game. That's hunting. And they can do that in a decent size park if necessary.