Henry rifle recommendations

BigBoodro

FNG
Hey guys, new user here and trying to fulfill my 7 post minimum so figured I'd ask everyone's opinions while I was at it. Thinking about buying a henry lever action for deer hunting in the south. My average shooting distance is 150 yds and I'm thinking about an all weather 45LC. Anyone have any experience with this caliber at this distance for southern whitetail? Also while I'm at it, any suggestions on easy ways to fulfill my minimum to hit the marketplace? Thanks guys.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, new user here and trying to fulfill my 7 post minimum so figured I'd ask everyone's opinions while I was at it. Thinking about buying a henry lever action for deer hunting in the south. My average shooting distance is 150 yds and I'm thinking about an all weather 45LC. Anyone have any experience with this caliber at this distance for southern whitetail? Also while I'm at it, any suggestions on easy ways to fulfill my minimum to hit the marketplace? Thanks guys.
Yes you could just pay the fee and bypass all the hassle of posts and waiting periods.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
A 45 LC at 150 yards has a muzzle velocity of < 650 fps and energy of 223 ft/lbs. By comparison, a 9mm Luger has 950 fps and about the same energy at that distance.

That's not the caliber I would choose for deer hunting at 150 yds..

A 357 magnum in a rifle would have 1,176 fps and 553 ft/lbs of energy at 150 yds.

And a 30-30 outperforms all of them at 1786 fps and 1062 ft/lbs of energy at 150 yds. Even out to 600 yards it's still got better ballistics than the 45LC does at 150 yards.

I just bought a Henry Classic in 45-70 Government. At 150 yards, it's 1,355 fps and 1,427 ft/lbs of energy.

Hoghead

WKR
I have a 200 gr 44mag load that was doing 2k if I remember correctly out of a 20" barrel. I don't know the math but everything I shot with it died. I only shot big game out to 75-80 yards to be fair. I would think find a bullet that shoots good and check to see what you can get out of it. If I remember correctly you can't go over 250 gr in the 45lc big boy steel because of col and ejection issues. You could find a 200 gr bullet and probably get 2k out of it. Remember the rifle doesn't need to be loaded to 16k psi like the old relvovers.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

45 only for cowboy action and plinking.
IMO unless straight wall required get 30-30 it kick like 44 mag, ammo cost same as 44 mag, better ballistics that 44 mag. Itchy for big boy just get 45-70.

Here's some FWIW. I will never engage in a marketplace transaction with anyone who has not been a contributing member of the larger forum for some time. Many hold that same view. I will not do business with any member who appears to be here almost exclusively for marketplace activities. I want to buy from and sell to fellow shooters and hunters, not to someone running a side-hustle. Scammers are becoming more sophisticated over time, so smart buyers and sellers will insist on some verification. Pay Pal FF, Venmo and Zelle are a no-no for smart buyers.