Henry Shires Tarptent Pro Trail Li

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
When they released the Notch Li, I spoke with Erica @ tarptent and asked why not try the Dynema on the Pro Trail (their lightest shelter at that time) and she said it had to do with the differant way they have to sew/glue the Dynema. At least that's what I think I heard through my tears. I loved the Pro Trial for summer and early fall but really wanted to try the light weight Dynema so I sold my Pro Trial and picked up the Notch Li. I really like the Notch Li but my name will be on the list of Pro trail Li sales.

HS Tarptent Pro Trail Li

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've always been a huge fan of TarpTents designs and them being priced very competitively for being American made. It's left a sour taste in my mouth that they've started importing all of their DCF tents, and some of their other models. The past few months have really driven the point home of not relying on imported everything from China. That ProTrail Li will certainly be light, but off my radar. The next one I'm waiting on them to get back in stock I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they haven't outsourced. Here's to hope!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

three5x5s

WKR
From the link in post #1
The ProTrail Li model you’re viewing is fabricated from USA-made Dyneema® fabric and produced in China at one of the world’s leading tent manufacturing facilities and home to many of the world’s major tent brands. Our definition of globally-sourced is that we sourced the world for the best fabrics and manufacturers and found them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was not aware they were importing any tents. I will look into it, thanks for the heads up @sneaky
Yeah, the Stratospire 1 and 2 are imported now as well on the silnylon side. I haven't gone through all of their models besides a couple others, those were the ones I saw as being imported now under the "specs" tab.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Compared to the Aeon Li, the only benefit I see is maybe an easier pitch? Seems like the trade off is an easier pitch (Protrail) vs the more comfortable entry/exit that comes with the side entry/vestibule on the Aeon.

this tent looks sweet but for $150 less you can get the Stone Glacier Sky Air.
If comparing to the SG Sky Air, the standard Sil ProTrail is about the same weight (if using vestibule on Sky Air), cheaper, and uses 30d compared to 10d with SG. Nice part about SG is it is a full double wall with inner.

Pro953

WKR
I really like my pro-trail. I keep kicking around other options from Seek Outside etc... but at the end of the day it really is the best solution for me so far. More than anything it’s so fast and easy to setup in small marginal locations where a larger footprint would not be possible. It’s nice to not have to spend the time looking for a open camp spot.

The chance to drop another 6-7 oz from my current model is tempting. Hmmmmm...

Cannot speak for the SG tent. Looks nice, but tarp tent has been good to me so not sure I would make the jump when it does not seem to have any substantial advantage in weight or components. I guess it’s a bit more flexible with configurations, but I have never had the thought of wanting to run the tarp tent in a different configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If comparing to the SG Sky Air, the standard Sil ProTrail is about the same weight (if using vestibule on Sky Air), cheaper, and uses 30d compared to 10d with SG. Nice part about SG is it is a full double wall with inner.

yes I agree. Cheaper and more than twice thicker fabric is enough for.

I’ve got over 20 nights now in my Tarptent Protrail Li and it’s a great shelter. I can pitch it in around a minute and it’s got a lot of room inside. I’m 6’1” and I have plenty of head and foot room. Really happy with it overall and the “gutter” of netting for condensation. The little bit of condensation that will inevitably form just rolls off and into the gutter area where it drains outside. Really clever design And ridiculously lightweight. It’s a keeper for sure!

Good advice....going this route this year. Can get the mesh insert and vestibule for that price.
I owned the Stone Glacier Sky Air ULT. It’s a nice shelter, but it had four different pieces to deal with compared to having everything sewn together on the Protrail Li and pitched perfect every time. It’s also Silnylon compared to DCF - and it’s $91 more than the Stone Glacier with all of the accessories built in. That was the deciding factor for me.