Heppner Youth Cow Elk

Barner107

FNG
Any experience with Heppner youth elk hunt - have two first time Oregon youth elk hunters I am taking into the unit. I spoke to the biologist and got some info and starting points. He recommended going early before bow hunters come in droves to the area.

we plan to camp out and spend some time in the unit -

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Really should be no problem finding cows in August. Elk everywhere in the unit and not hard to find before the 1500+ bow hunters run them around. If you want to stay in more moderate terrain on top, camping around Divide Well will put you right in the elk.

I still remember taking my son to Heppner in August when he was about 4. Just walking around looking at water holes in the middle of the day "Daddy look at all the horseys!" :) They were elk of course.

I don't go anywhere near that unit anymore. WAY too many people, but as said, finding a cow in August won't be a problem if you just spend a little time looking.

OP
B

Barner107

FNG
Headed up Thursday - finally some cool weather and maybe some snow coming. We skipped August since it was so hot. Plan to get in and hunt before the 1400 bull hunters!

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Headed up Thursday - finally some cool weather and maybe some snow coming. We skipped August since it was so hot. Plan to get in and hunt before the 1400 bull hunters!

But now you're after the 1500 bow hunters and 1000 deer hunters. Still should be able to find a cow no problem, but early would have been way better IMHO. Probably could have shot one within 100 yards of camp.

OP
B

Barner107

FNG
I agree - but dang it was a hot one in August and September. We will give them hell this weekend - and hope the cool temps get those cows out and about.